Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Episode 8 brought some solid storytelling to the table, and more examples of great use of cgi-Bob. And what a riveting performance by NIN in the roadhouse, it was almost like TOTP- the Return for a bit there! Mind blown.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Oh boy, just as I said I was beggining to warm up to the show, PART 8 happened... First of all I get why so many people are impressed with it and even I found it intriguing from a technical standpoint. But in all honestly I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could find the last part enjoyable.

It looked like last episode was created solely for a purpose of Lynch violently throwing phantasmagorical images to our faces without any real plotline or coherence. I'm glad that so many people enjoyed it, but I really thought IT was borderline unwatchable. Truly hope this was only a one time thing.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Saw some shots from Frost on set with Lynch obviously during filming of last episode, Frost said he was only on set that day they were filming his father. Does anyone else get the feeling that Lynch just went on this self righteous art trip when no one else was around, and no one saw the final thing until David Nevins called it 'pure heroine' or whatever.
This is incorrect, pure and simple. Frost was present during the whole WA filming, people from this forum who spectated the filming saw him pretty much every day. And he was present in at least some of the filming in LA, as evidenced by production stills.

Saying that this is just Lynch in his self righteous form and not noticing Frost's major influence in this episode (and series in general) is bizarre to say the least.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Panapaok wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Saw some shots from Frost on set with Lynch obviously during filming of last episode, Frost said he was only on set that day they were filming his father. Does anyone else get the feeling that Lynch just went on this self righteous art trip when no one else was around, and no one saw the final thing until David Nevins called it 'pure heroine' or whatever.
This is incorrect, pure and simple. Frost was present during the whole WA filming, people from this forum who spectated the filming saw him pretty much every day. And he was present in at least some of the filming in LA, as evidenced by production stills.

Saying that this is just Lynch in his self righteous form and not noticing Frost's major influence in this episode (and series in general) is bizarre to say the least.
What exactly was Frost's major influence in the last episode?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Oh boy, just as I said I was beggining to warm up to the show, PART 8 happened... First of all I get why so many people are impressed with it and even I found it intriguing from a technical standpoint. But in all honestly I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could find the last part enjoyable.

It looked like last episode was created solely for a purpose of Lynch violently throwing phantasmagorical images to our faces without any real plotline or coherence. I'm glad that so many people enjoyed it, but I really thought IT was borderline unwatchable. Truly hope this was only a one time thing.
Well, it this is not your cup of tea, so be it, but I highly doubt the rest of the series will be like this. I doubt they had that big a budget :-).

I would recommend watching with headphones (the sound was out of this world) and try to contemplate what the images might mean for the larger story.

Edit: A glass of wine and beer might not hurt either.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
It's a lodge spirit origin story. The fact that it is narratively coherent at all is a product of Frost's plotting. Time stamped flashbacks, convenience store sign post, visible images of characters in the figurative images like the gold (I thought of Inside/Out! Lol).

I'm a little disappointed it was easy to figure out what was going on, but overall I think it'll improve in ambiguity on rewatch.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Panapaok wrote:

I think he's referring to how much of it falls in line with the subject matter of The Secret History. And I agree; there's no getting around Frost's fingerprints being all over this.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

oldforce wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
It's a lodge spirit origin story. The fact that it is narratively coherent at all is a product of Frost's plotting. Time stamped flashbacks, convenience store sign post, visible images of characters in the figurative images like the gold (I thought of Inside/Out! Lol).

I'm a little disappointed it was easy to figure out what was going on, but overall I think it'll improve in ambiguity on rewatch.
Not to mention that they put this Lodge origin story in historical context, similar to what Frost did in TSHOTP (Manhattan Project, Trinity). Obviously Lynch's stamp is more clear because this is a visual medium, he chooses the images and the sounds and their presentation. But Part. 8 as a whole was very much so a Lynch & Frost collaboration.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, not cool. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And Gabriel may actually love this episode. Who knows.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

Last edited by AnotherBlueRoseCase on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I neither loved or hated this episode. I thought it was beautifully shot. But I admit I prefer episodes that are heavy on forward narrative momentum. I like absurd and surrealist stuff - but usually only in smaller doses, such as the slow opening to Season 2 of the original series, or all the stuff in Episode 29. So I'm not sure what I thought of this episode really. I had a lot of thoughts on it, but overall can't tell if I liked it or didn't like it. Anyone else feel like this?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

You know, if this episode was meant to be one to polarize or put people off, it seems to be having the opposite effect. Look at Twitter. This is the first episode (since maybe the premiere) that trended. Ironically, this may turn out to be the most popular episode - and one that gets a lot of people (who heard about it on Twitter) watching.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

Let's get something straight here. This thread is The Profoundly Disappointed thread and it was stated at the outset that it's not for those who wish to wish to show disappointed posters 'the error of their ways'.

So a question for the mods, if this thread even has any: how are posts expressing hopes for one of this thread's finest posters to keep away not off-topic? Why does this thread have to put up with so much of this kind of irrelevant, sniping, at times almost stalkerish shit from a few of the show's admirers, when it was stated so clearly at the outset, and has been repeated so many times since, that that's not the purpose of this thread?

A clear statement of this site's attitude to what's happening here would be appreciated.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Yeah, TP seems to have gained a lot of traction ever since last night.
Part 8 attracts a LOT of interest, and I don't even need to wonder why. :)

Kudos!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Overall, there seems to be a lot more sniping and trolling on this board than ever before. A poster in the Part 8 thread counted the number of "i's" I used in my review of Part 8 and made a snarky comment about it. Lol. Back in the good old days, before the new series, I don't remember these kind of (dare I say bitchy?) remarks being used.