Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Cappy »

So how many different portals/pathways to the spirit-realm are there, and where do they all lead to?

- Glastonberry Grove, leads to the Red Room (which is the Black Lodge, or can lead to the Black Lodge...?)

- 'the site' in Buckhorn, SD, leads to World of the Woodsmen (The Convenience Store?)

And I guess that this Jack Rabbit's Palace in TP will somehow lead to either where The Experiment / BOB's Mom is, or the place that ????? lives (White Lodge?).

If BOB and MIKE have their own portal at Glastonberry Grove, and the Woodsmen have their own portal in Buckhorn, I wonder what this implies for the other Lodge spirits. Do the Jumping Man and the Chalfonts/Tremonds have their own distinct coordinates where they can be easily accessed as well? Maybe they each have their own realms or worlds of influence, and they all meet above the Convenience Store to debate the fates of mortals (akin to the Pantheon in Mt. Olympus).
emej

Post by emej »

Do White Tail Mountain and Blue Pine Mountain have similar vortex gateways as the Buckhorn site?

Jack Rabbit's Palace is located near Listening Post Alpha on Blue Pine Mountain.

Also, what does the cowboy hat wearing man symbolize in Hawk's map?

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

emej wrote:Also, what does the cowboy hat wearing man symbolize in Hawk's map?
Looks like a lawman. There's also a severed arm/hand near him...
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Saturn's child wrote:
emej wrote:Also, what does the cowboy hat wearing man symbolize in Hawk's map?
Looks like a lawman. There's also a severed arm/hand near him...
Don't call me mad but...

The hand next to the lawman in Hawk's map...

Doesn't it look almost exactly like what Gordon was drawing in his hotel room...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

KyleRickards wrote:Doesn't it look almost exactly like what Gordon was drawing in his hotel room...
I thought so too; heralding another appearance of the evolution of the arm (or more probably, it's doppelganger)?
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin ... 16-titles/

New titles to analyze:

Part 13: What story is that, Charlie? (August 6, 2017)
Part 14: We are like the dreamer. (August 13, 2017)
Part 15: There’s some fear in letting go. (August 20, 2017)
Part 16: No knock, no doorbell. (August 27, 2017)
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

We Are Like the Dreamer eh?

Readers of the old spoiler thread may remember that particular line.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Or sharp-eyed viewers of David Lynch: The Art Life.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Jonah wrote:Just looking at your list, it really highlights how little we've seen most of the original characters - and how disappointing this is.
"Save the best for last."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

As has been noted on other threads, the "dreamer" quote is an excerpt from a passage of the Upshanishads, which DKL used to introduce screenings of IE as well as the IE chapter of his Catching the Big Fish book.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:As has been noted on other threads, the "dreamer" quote is an excerpt from a passage of the Upshanishads, which DKL used to introduce screenings of IE as well as the IE chapter of his Catching the Big Fish book.

This is interesting to think about. The saying DKL used to introduce IE goes:
Spoiler:
'We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe.'
This form occurs in a book of stories derived from the Upanishads: Eternal Stories from the Upanishads, in the story called 'Balaki the Proud Teacher' [1].

The story is derived from the second chapter of the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, which features a conversation between Ajatashatru and Balaki Gargya on a theory of dreams.

The attribution to the Aitareya Upanishad you will find all over the internet appears to be a misattribution. However a dimly related passage does exist in the Mundaka Upanishad 1:1:7. This latter passage outlines the philosophical difference between a creature which creates realities around itself using external materials, such as a carpenter or potter (where instrumental cause and material cause therefore differ) and a creature which creates realities around itself using the substances inherent to its own body, such as a spider (in which instrumental cause and material cause coincide). Apparently this is from a discussion on the nature of cosmic creation; in this cosmology the creator-god weaves the universe out of substance inherent to the creator. [2]

Incidentally, the lines cited by Lynch continues in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad,
Spoiler:
''That is why it is said, 'Having created the creation, the Creator entered into it' (Tat shrishtva tad evanupravishat)."
Whether we take that as a cryptic guide or prolegomena to the nature of the film Inland Empire, the sidelong comment of an auteur on his motivations to play as Gordon Cole in his own creation, or as a statement of commitment to a certain metaphysical view of the whole universe similar to that of the post-Fichtean Romantics, or possibly all of these, seems to be something down to the individual.

I haven't read Lynch's Big Fish book on transcendental meditation, as I tend to find he gets a bit too hippyish / Cosmic Consciousness for me, but I am enjoying the biography Beautiful Dark, and looking forward to the release of the The Art Life on a UK DVD.

Looking forward to the context for this as something said in one of the parts of TP:TR.

[1] Egenes, T. & Reddy, K. (2002) Eternal Stories from the Upanishads, Smriti Books, illustrated edition, previewable at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BcD ... er&f=false accessed 26th July 2017
[2] Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha, Swaminarayan Aksharpith (2011) 'Enlightening Essays' -- The Mundaka Upanishad (pt-2): Proclaiming the Akshar-Purushottam Principle, [webpage] http://www.swaminarayan.org/essays/2009/2209.htm accessed 26th July 2017
Last edited by Novalis on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Cappy wrote:So how many different portals/pathways to the spirit-realm are there, and where do they all lead to?

- Glastonberry Grove, leads to the Red Room (which is the Black Lodge, or can lead to the Black Lodge...?)

- 'the site' in Buckhorn, SD, leads to World of the Woodsmen (The Convenience Store?)

And I guess that this Jack Rabbit's Palace in TP will somehow lead to either where The Experiment / BOB's Mom is, or the place that ????? lives (White Lodge?).

If BOB and MIKE have their own portal at Glastonberry Grove, and the Woodsmen have their own portal in Buckhorn, I wonder what this implies for the other Lodge spirits. Do the Jumping Man and the Chalfonts/Tremonds have their own distinct coordinates where they can be easily accessed as well? Maybe they each have their own realms or worlds of influence, and they all meet above the Convenience Store to debate the fates of mortals (akin to the Pantheon in Mt. Olympus).
I would prescribe to the idea that all the portals lead to the same place, another place. Wormholes that allow the Lodge denizens to travel through space/time and into our universe. And vice-versa, steal us away into their word.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Cappy wrote:So how many different portals/pathways to the spirit-realm are there, and where do they all lead to?

I would prescribe to the idea that all the portals lead to the same place, another place. Wormholes that allow the Lodge denizens to travel through space/time and into our universe. And vice-versa, steal us away into their word.
vawriter

Post by vawriter »

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but watching Candie in the most recent episode has me wondering if she's in a similar predicament as Agent Cooper. She displays many of the same dazed expressions and seems very disconnected with everything that's happening around her, just like Agent Cooper. Her comment about how there's so much traffic on the streets really sounded to me like she was actually surprised -- like her frame of reference is from an earlier time when traffic wasn't as heavy. Perhaps Candie is another multi-dimensional time traveler who's brain has gotten stuck, just like Cooper?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

vawriter wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but watching Candie in the most recent episode has me wondering if she's in a similar predicament as Agent Cooper. She displays many of the same dazed expressions and seems very disconnected with everything that's happening around her, just like Agent Cooper. Her comment about how there's so much traffic on the streets really sounded to me like she was actually surprised -- like her frame of reference is from an earlier time when traffic wasn't as heavy. Perhaps Candie is another multi-dimensional time traveler who's brain has gotten stuck, just like Cooper?
Forgiven.

Other people have mentioned this with the two leading automatons being Laura or Annie. I don't prescribe to these two, but it is interesting.

Someone else suggested maybe something that "mother" hatched came back through as Candie. I like the theory in general, especially with the comment from the mobsters that say "She has nowhere to go." Hmmmm.