Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kuprin82

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by kuprin82 »

The statue is dedicated to Hardesty "The FBI Story"
"The FBI Story" is a 1959 American drama film starring James Stewart!
We see Hardesty as he recounts his history as an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation during a lecture. The lecture becomes the narration of FLASHBACKS(!) as he tells of his life as an agent combating various crimes and criminals..
Attachments
jean-simmons-james-stewart-the-fbi-story-1959-BPA3MM.jpg
jean-simmons-james-stewart-the-fbi-story-1959-BPA3MM.jpg (192.89 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
james-stewart-the-fbi-story-1959-D5RX4E.jpg
james-stewart-the-fbi-story-1959-D5RX4E.jpg (212.66 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
укуе.JPG
укуе.JPG (81.04 KiB) Viewed 9524 times
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

KyleRickards wrote:Just a thought, but John Justice Wheelers partner was killed in Brazil, Agent Jeffries work maybe?
I thought it was Colombia.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Esselgee wrote:
KyleRickards wrote:Just a thought, but John Justice Wheelers partner was killed in Brazil, Agent Jeffries work maybe?
I thought it was Colombia.
Ah, my geography is rubbish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

kuprin82 wrote:The statue is dedicated to Hardesty "The FBI Story"
We see Hardesty as he recounts his history as an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation during a lecture. The lecture becomes the narration of FLASHBACKS(!) as he tells of his life as an agent combating various crimes and criminals..
wow, thanks for clearing that up! good catch.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Posted this in the Part 5 topic but perhaps it's better here:

Calling it now: I think that Nadine is now rich from her silent drape-runners. Check out her room, the fancy chair, the drapes, the office desk and computer set-up - along with a fabric sample book sat on her desk. Also her hair and clothes etc. are perhaps subtlety implying money.

She's gone into business for herself and has actually made it rich. Great message if so -- never give up on your dreams!
TimeLife

Post by TimeLife »

Don't know if this has been mentioned already...

Regarding the possibility of time shifts...I think this has been mentioned, regarding Dougie's license plate having a sticker that reads "03" on it. Someone mentioned that it's possibly meant to mean March, but having re-watching the purple room scene in which Cooper gets sucked through the electric socket...the number "3" is above the socket. But prior to his trip up the ladder to the roof of that space station (or whatever), the number is "15" above the socket.

So my theory (I think it's originally mine) is that Cooper was supposed to get sucked through the electric socket and end up in the present-day, which is 2015. Instead, his encounter with the eyeless woman on top of the space station altered course, and when he went through the socket with the "American Girl" watching, he ended up in the year 2003, hence, Dougie's license plate.

Again, don't know if this was brought up already, but I feel very proud of my feeble brain right now.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Mairzy wrote:
Burns's Suite wrote:[*]
douglasb wrote:I'm paraphrasing a bit here but I wonder what the trigger/key is for this whole project? Lynch implied he had an idea or notion for the return, some jumping off point that he could build upon. I wonder if it was a singular image or a concept - and if we've seen whatever that is yet.
I've got a feeling that the "jumping point" is supposed to be Cooper leaving the lodge and all the other events are supposed to foreground where all our characters (new and old) are at this point in time. Granted though with this being an edited down 18 hour film it's not working the same way a normal show's jumping point would seem to.
Wasn't the jumping point simply the 25 years later line delivered by Laura. Sure I read Frost/Lynch saying it was the catalyst for them to have dinner, and see if there were more stories in the TP universe.
Personally I think the jumping point is Laura Palmers diary. Lynch said at the time of making FIRE WALK WITH ME that what fascinated him was the idea of Annie saying ; 'The good Dale is in the lodge and he can't leave, write it in your diary' then in Lynch's own words ; 'And I know that Laura did write it in her diary...' so that the events of the black lodge mark themselves across points in time.

In the scenes with Hawk, Andy and Lucy the original diary is sitting next to the chocolate bunnies as a call back to the first episode 'Diane I'm holding in my hand a box of chocolate bunnies'.

This has to be the in point. At the moment everything revolves around Hawk finding that infornation
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mairzy wrote:Wasn't the jumping point simply the 25 years later line delivered by Laura. Sure I read Frost/Lynch saying it was the catalyst for them to have dinner, and see if there were more stories in the TP universe.
I sure hope that wasn't it. That may have been the initial impetus to make them brainstorm, but that isn't a jumping-off point for a story, it's just a cute quasi-meta touch.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Wait, are you saying there's a dedication on the statue that actually says this? Or just inferring that the costume/pose are similar to the poster?

If the former, that would be a strong argument for Dougie-land being a construction to contain Coop!
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

for some reason I don't like the "Dougie-land is only a construction and not 'real' at all" hypothesis.

it would render that whole part of the plot unnecessary/useless to a certain extent and would (imo) complicate the "main" plot too much.

I'm sure (not convinced, because with Lynch you can never be) it is taking place in the "real" world and just needs something particcular to happen for Coop to gain his senses/memory back.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

So Dougie/Coop's intense attention for the statue's shoes does have a profound meaning. Without words he's saying "Wrong (FBI) shoes," which is an implied self-reference.
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
Mairzy wrote:
Burns's Suite wrote:[*]

In the scenes with Hawk, Andy and Lucy the original diary is sitting next to the chocolate bunnies as a call back to the first episode 'Diane I'm holding in my hand a box of chocolate bunnies'.

This has to be the in point. At the moment everything revolves around Hawk finding that infornation

Yea. Maybe it IS about the bunny. There is an old tale about rabbits in some Native American legends characterizing them as the FEAR Callers. They have an unfortunate tendency to call forth exactly what they are afraid of, and ultimately end up eaten. This feels similar to the way the black lodge works...that it feeds on fear. Maybe this is what the lodge lady means, there is something about Hawk's heritage here and it is actually about the bunny after all.

Also...unrelated thought but a question I haven't seen discussed much....what has happened to Wyndham Earle? Does anyone have any theories about his return?
kuprin82

Post by kuprin82 »

dronerstone wrote:
wow, thanks for clearing that up! good catch.
In the book "The Autobiography of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper"
It is mentioned that Cooper's idol was James Stewart,
And a poster hung in his room on the wall!
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

It's interesting that we haven't seen any Milfords or Martells pop up yet. I know that Piper Laurie, the only survivor actress of either clan, isn't slated to appear, but it would be neat if there was some oddball Martell nephew existing as a tertiary character. With the mill gone though, I doubt any distant cousins of Pete would have any financial interest in the town of Twin Peaks.

Catherine and Pete's house was a great location though. I really hope L/F find an excuse to re-use the Blue Pine Lodge and that over-sized log on the shore.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

kuprin82 wrote: There is an old tale ...unrelated thought but a question I haven't seen discussed much....what has happened to Wyndham Earle? Does anyone have any theories about his return?
There is a two dossier situation here.
On one level I think it's a deliberate device. mark Frosts TSHOTP clearly sets itself up as a corrupt dossier, which is missing information. 'The final dossier' will apparently rectify this 'Catherine Martell/Ben Horne two mill books scenario'

Now consider this; In the original series, during season 2, numerous dossiers are delivered to Agent Cooper. These include; A dossier on Josie's past from Interpol (Which appears in TSHOTP in full), files from project Blue Book (some of which appear in TSHOTP) and the full classified Agent files on Windom Earle, presented to Cooper by Gordon Cole (None of which appear in TSHOTP in fact Windom Earle is seemingly deliberately left out of TSHOTP much like Annie Blackburn)

Some concluded when the book was released that Frost and Lynch were retconinng the series and eliminating the characters that they didn't like. I personally disagree. I think the classified Windom Earle files were erased from the document, and this is suggested by the contents that remained, including Coopers Packard case file which also neglects the facts surrounding Windom Earle.

Some have already pointed out various clues in Season 3 which strongly present deliberate callbacks to the hallmarks of Earle;
1) Windom Earle used a bonsai tree to spy on the Twin Peaks Sherrif department, there is a bonsai tree inside the billionaires manhattan apartment where Tracey and Sam were murdered.
2) Windom Earle was predominantly searching for the black lodge, which involved seeking coordinates and was obsessed with playing cards and chess, primarily the royals, Kings, Queens..-- Mr C is obsessed with finding something involving coordinates and also values a certain playing card depicted the Ace of Spades, a playing card, and an ominous symbol which bears to mind the owl cave symbol, (Which Windom also discovered, and the first person to mention in the series interestingly was Annie Blackburn)
3) Mr C uses the same 1980's FBI computer case that Windom Earle uses, and he is hiding out in a motel, like Windom Earle holed out in a cabin
4) Mr C is apparently 'with Bob' as we see in the mirror, but as he isn't Agent Cooper this bears the question who exactly is Mr C? Bob had a very recognisable Modus Operandi.
As Gordon Cole says of Agent Chester Desmond in FWWM 'He's got his own MO'. Bob's MO was that he desired young girls, he wanted to 'taste through their mouth' , and feed on their pain and sorrow. Ultimately he was a serial killer, and in fact started out just as such, until his immortalisation where he became a murderous spirit. When Bob killed he killed with the same pattern; Sexual interaction followed by extreme violence, then he crowned his kill with a letter under the fingernail; attempting to spell his own name 'ROBERT'. 25 years ago he managed to get halfway with the letter RBT. He never managed to spell his name.
Windom Earle had an entirely different MO. From the series we only see part of the pattern, however My Life My Tapes expands on this somewhat. The first time Windom Earle kills his crimes are gruesome, they aren't sexually motivated. People are found with missing limbs, and the trail leads to Earle. He likes to play games with his victims. He uses costume and motif in his crimes, killing people inside giant chess pieces. Earle likes to lead clues which a detective could solve his crimes. Bob likes to commit his crimes and then have his inhabited body be caught later.
All the crimes so far committed in Season 3 bear the hallmarks of Windom Earle's MO
None of the victims have letters beneath their fingernails (matching Mikes ring) nor are they wrapped in plastic, nor are thy young girls.
4) let's look at the victims; Ruth Davenport/ Major Briggs--- Briggs had no connection to Bob. Briggs worked with Windom Earle on project blue book, he revealed information about Earle to Cooper. Earle kidnapped Major Briggs and almost killed him. Tracey and Sam are apparently killed by an alien being, in a room with Windom Earle's bonsai tree. Cooper also appears inside the box which contains the alien being; conclusion; the box is harnessing black lodge forces. Windom Earle was known to be interested in controlling the powers of the black lodge. In the season finale we see his soul anhilated by Bob. Yet--- we also see Coopers soul anhilated by Bob.
Yet. We know that Cooper is still alive.

Being anhilated by Bob doesn't mean death. It means Bob controls the victims soul.
Bob controls Windoms soul in the grand game of chess. But where is Windom now?
I think that's obvious.
What is the doppelgänger?
It appears after Windom Earle's soul is controlled by Bob. The dopplleganager IS Windom Earle, controlled by Bob and inserted into Coopers body.

Conclusion. Mr C = Windom Earle controlled by Bob
Last edited by LurkerAtTheThreshold on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.