POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by ThumbsUp »

Audrey Horne wrote:"Get me out of here!" She tells Charlie, and she does (or Charlie part of Audrey does). Yes, I believe it's a mirror because she's seeing herself for the first time. I think she's waking up from her coma (it looks like a hint of a hospital gown, which Coooer always wears this episode)... But the waking up is not into the real world.

Mullens and JaneyE discuss living years in a coma earlier.

But also, and don't know what it is yet, lots of similarities between Audrey and Diane.... "Not me!" Rape by Mr. C. Even the songs at the Roadhouse are "Diane" and "Audrey's Dance."
Wow! I missed the Diane song.

Speaking of connections between the two women: I mentioned this in the other thread, but I wonder if Evil Coop dumped Audrey in The Dutchman's (as suggested from the doors in the photo above), like it sounds like he did with Diane, and that's where she's been all this time? Would be a nice spin on the originally intended plot from the original series of Audrey being trapped in the Lodge and not Annie.

Loved that Coop and Audrey both woke up this episode.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Yeah, I'm now really curious just how all these Road House scenes are going to tie into Audrey. It seems to be pointing towards all these scenes having occurred in some sort of shared dreamspace type deal, but least a few of the scenes set there still have to be real. So I'm kind of lost as to how it'll be resolved.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

My hunch is The Roadhouse scenes won't be explained at all. We'll never see Audrey with Charlie again... And people will be debating for years how The Roadhouse scenes existed.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Yeah, I suppose there's a plausible interpretation where all the Roadhouse scenes except for Audrey's actually happened, and that all those random single-scene character conversations were there for thematic reasons.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Other folks have been suggesting Roadhouse/Charlie Audrey is another manufactured tulpa handled by Charlie and created by the Bad Dale, while White Room Audrey is the genuine article - I think that's entirely possible.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

adl345 wrote:Yeah, I'm now really curious just how all these Road House scenes are going to tie into Audrey. It seems to be pointing towards all these scenes having occurred in some sort of shared dreamspace type deal, but least a few of the scenes set there still have to be real. So I'm kind of lost as to how it'll be resolved.
Going by the theory that Billy = Cooper, I think the Roadhouse scenes were Audrey's mind trying to piece together what happened to him, and that's why when those two women were speaking to each other about Billy there was confusion about details like whether an uncle was there.
N. Needleman wrote:Other folks have been suggesting Roadhouse/Charlie Audrey is another manufactured tulpa handled by Charlie and created by the Bad Dale, while White Room Audrey is the genuine article - I think that's entirely possible.
I don't know, that Roadhouse scene was very surreal to be taking place in the real world, even for Twin Peaks.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I have to say I'm relieved that Audrey & Charlie are not a real life situation. The ending of Part 16 was incredible, Sherilyn was amazing!
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

What's the deal with the brawlers at the roadhouse, do we know who they are? The attacker COULD be Bobby (judging by his hair) but I highly doubt it.

ANY IDEAS?
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

The two men at the Roadhouse were credited as "Richard Bucher - Man Hit with Bottle" and "Scott Cameron - Throwing Man", so it wasn't Bobby or anyone else we know. However, I thought the attacker called the other man "Barney" (does anyone have subtitles for the episode and can confirm this?). In Part 1, Marjorie Green said the manager of the house where Ruth Davenport lived was called Barney and she said about him "Barney's not here. He's a funny one, that Barney. He's in the hospital, not the regular hospital." After the other nuthouse references, it's possible that Audrey is really in a mental institution with all those mentioned characters.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

ThumbsUp wrote:Oh, also, I just posted this in the 16 thread but probably should have done so here: Does it look like Audrey is just now looking into a mirror and seeing herself for the first time in 25 years? When I first watched it tonight, I thought she was just confused and disoriented after the smash cut from the Roadhouse, but now I'm not so sure.

Audrey (2) probably didn't have a baby in a coma, but I agree it looks like she's seeing herself for the first time

Multiverse theory would say they are separate Audreys, nothing necessarily directly or indirectly to do with one another, in separate worlds. Like Diane and Betty. Betty is not Diane's dream. Betty's world ceases to exist when she enters the black hole of the box. The Roadhouse is another threshold space, like Club Silencio. Possible worlds are infinite, and can start and end at any time.

Reality - "the marketplace illusion of well-defined solidity" (Nochimson)- started to break down for Audrey (1) when she did the dance, as it started to for Betty and Rita when they saw the corpse. For Betty and Rita, their reality was annihilated with the blue box. Audrey feared this revelation, on the threshold of Charlie's house- the only thing preserving her existence. Charlie is like a Cowboy/Mystery Man figure- he knew what was going to happen. Particle shifts from one universe can influence distant universes, for instance Audrey (1)'s and Richard's annihilation causes Audrey (2) to wake.

Audrey (1) is our best bet for Richard's mother, that knew Cooper. But it's also possible Audrey (1) only existed in this black corn version of Twin Peaks, the one that Mr C entered through the convenience store- also the world Diane (T) entered. Her reality began as a quantum possibility of Audrey perhaps waking from a coma and being raped or supernaturally inpregnated by Mr C aka Cooper (D)

(D) = doppleganger
(T) = tulpa

In Audrey (1)'s reality, she is just waking from a coma and she and Cooper will meet soon.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:The two men at the Roadhouse were credited as "Richard Bucher - Man Hit with Bottle" and "Scott Cameron - Throwing Man", so it wasn't Bobby or anyone else we know. However, I thought the attacker called the other man "Barney" (does anyone have subtitles for the episode and can confirm this?). In Part 1, Marjorie Green said the manager of the house where Ruth Davenport lived was called Barney and she said about him "Barney's not here. He's a funny one, that Barney. He's in the hospital, not the regular hospital." After the other nuthouse references, it's possible that Audrey is really in a mental institution with all those mentioned characters.
Thanks!!! :)
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Have y'all ever been in a hospital room?

All kinda weird '60s browns and greens... not the pure white we saw after the cut from the Roadhouse.

My wife had a flash this morning - the Experiment, as seen in pts. 1, 8, and 14, is credited as that: The Experiment ("Experiment Model" in pt. 1, which I took to mean - rightly or wrongly - that she was the model for the CGI that created the actual image we saw). You'd think, or at least I[/b] would think that if some supernatural "Mother" were the main villain of the show; she would have been credited thusly.

But she's not. Yes, the Experiment barfed up BOB and some frogbugs, so it is a mother in a sense - but what evidence have we that it's at all related to American Girl's "my mother is coming?" - the fact that it was seen in the NYC box around the same time? We should know that with Lynch, scenes taking place in different locations... even if they're temporally adjacent to us, the viewers, doesn't mean they are in the world of the show. And besides, with American Girl being the only character, over 16 hours now, to refer to a seemingly villainous "mother" - well, I don't see any reason to believe they're one and the same.

But that just explains why I don't refer to the Experiment as "Mother." That's nothing to do with Audrey. Well, here's the potential punchline: what if AUDREY is a (probably unwilling) participant in/subject of THE EXPERIMENT. Experiment. That word doesn't sound very "supernatural" to me. Sounds like something Mr. C's trenchcoat friend in the glass box picture might be involved in. :lol:

I said that Audrey's surroundings didn't look like a hospital - and I fully admit that we saw very little, almost nothing of the room around her - but what it did look like to me was a laboratory clean room. The kind of place you'd do experiments in.

In TSHOTP we read about Jack Parsons' attempts to bring forth the goddess Babalon, the Mother of Abominations. Parsons, being a man of science as much as the occult, is the only *real* link I can find between the concepts of "experiment" and "mother" (and I'm pretty sure any links in TSHOTP are only there to deepen the mystery, not to provide final, set in stone "answers"). In the world of the show, of the present day, I don't know what connections they're making for sure. Is the Experiment Parsons' experiment, i.e. the Mother of all Abominations? Is it so credited because it was born from the experiment carried out that morning in 1945, in New Mexico? Or is it a present-day experiment, something directed by Mr. C?

I don't know. My wife didn't go any further (and I'm by far the bigger Lynch/TP fan in the relationship) than to associate Audrey with the Experiment.

I'm not saying that's the answer (or even an answer). What I'm saying is that as long as we don't know for sure (at least another week!), it's a possibility.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

I like sylvia_north's idea better than mine. ;)

The superpositional Audreys fit better with what I've assumed about her from Part 12, but the one I just posted was an attempt to tie it all together (and, at that, an intuitive one - my wife is not "corrupted" by TP-related internet fora, and is looking at it with a much clearer mind... which I think might be a better vantage point for appreciating Lynch).
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

whoisalhedges wrote:We should know that with Lynch, scenes taking place in different locations... even if they're temporally adjacent to us, the viewers, doesn't mean they are in the world of the show. And besides, with American Girl being the only character, over 16 hours now, to refer to a seemingly villainous "mother" - well, I don't see any reason to believe they're one and the same.

But that just explains why I don't refer to the Experiment as "Mother." That's nothing to do with Audrey. Well, here's the potential punchline: what if AUDREY is a (probably unwilling) participant in/subject of THE EXPERIMENT. Experiment. That word doesn't sound very "supernatural" to me. Sounds like something Mr. C's trenchcoat friend in the glass box picture might be involved in. :lol:

I said that Audrey's surroundings didn't look like a hospital - and I fully admit that we saw very little, almost nothing of the room around her - but what it did look like to me was a laboratory clean room. The kind of place you'd do experiments in.

In TSHOTP we read about Jack Parsons' attempts to bring forth the goddess Babalon, the Mother of Abominations. Parsons, being a man of science as much as the occult, is the only *real* link I can find between the concepts of "experiment" and "mother" (and I'm pretty sure any links in TSHOTP are only there to deepen the mystery, not to provide final, set in stone "answers"). In the world of the show, of the present day, I don't know what connections they're making for sure. Is the Experiment Parsons' experiment, i.e. the Mother of all Abominations? Is it so credited because it was born from the experiment carried out that morning in 1945, in New Mexico? Or is it a present-day experiment, something directed by Mr. C?

I don't know. My wife didn't go any further (and I'm by far the bigger Lynch/TP fan in the relationship) than to associate Audrey with the Experiment.

I'm not saying that's the answer (or even an answer). What I'm saying is that as long as we don't know for sure (at least another week!), it's a possibility.
I like these ideas! I'd like to think if there is a true Mother of Abominations, it's not something Parson's created in an experiement persay - he thought his wife that he met after the ritual was the real life manifestation, aka Whore of Babalon aka Scarlet Woman- but something eternal that he summoned. What SHOTP suggests is that all the UFO sightings started happening after the Babalon Working and his death which Doug Milford said summoned a fire demon. That sounds like BOB. (And White Sands and the Woodsmen)

Tulpas come from a single energy source and are usually twin. Robert-son, son of BOB. The Experiment could be the twin daughter then of the Mother.

As far as Audrey in a lab not waking from a coma? That kind of fits with new realities being sparked into existence within Twin Peaks, or overlapping as the universe expands, which means doubles can exist in the same reality. Instead of the hypothetical coma Audrey I posited (A2) or Charlie's Audrey (A1) but an Audrey (A3) from another reality adjacent to the events in black corn Twin Peaks to replace (A1.)
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

A4, A5, A6... that's another advantage of the quantum perspective, there's no reason to limit the possibilities (and myriad reasons not to). I'm not a physicist, not even close, but these multiverse/parallel theories that so many fans poo-poo as too sci-fi are precisely the ones that - in my understanding - are WAY more "realistic" than the boilerplate "eternal struggle of good vs. evil" stuff. :lol:

And yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Parsons "invented" Babalon; rather that someone in his idiom would likely approach the "Babalon Working" from more of a scientific, experimental POV than, say, Crowley.