Episode 20

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Episode 20

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:What is the exterior location used in this episode when Harry is seen entering to talk to Josie?
Isn’t it the Kiana Lodge? The same location that is always used for the Blue Pine Lodge exteriors.
But they were filming in LA at this point.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:What is the exterior location used in this episode when Harry is seen entering to talk to Josie?
Isn’t it the Kiana Lodge? The same location that is always used for the Blue Pine Lodge exteriors.
They had a small crew going to Washington occasionally to grab establishing shots so they weren’t reusing the same ones over and over (although they did that too). Occasionally a director would ask for something a little more innovative, like in this case, having an extra dressed as Harry seen in a wide shot walking up to the Lodge. Todd Holland was a massive Peaks nerd before he ever directed on the show, and I feel like on his episodes he was always looking for ways like this to make the show stronger and feel less like “television.”
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
They had a small crew going to Washington occasionally to grab establishing shots so they weren’t reusing the same ones over and over (although they did that too). Occasionally a director would ask for something a little more innovative, like in this case, having an extra dressed as Harry seen in a wide shot walking up to the Lodge. Todd Holland was a massive Peaks nerd before he ever directed on the show, and I feel like on his episodes he was always looking for ways like this to make the show stronger and feel less like “television.”
Oh wow. Didn't know that. So that's definitely an extra then?

I seem to also recall a non-pilot episode of Cooper walking into the sheriff's station (I think early Season 1, as they were hardly still doing this in Season 2?).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote: But they were filming in LA at this point.
Oh wow. Didn't know that. So that's definitely an extra then?

I seem to also recall a non-pilot episode of Cooper walking into the sheriff's station (I think early Season 1, as they were hardly still doing this in Season 2?).
Yeah, I’m 99% sure that’s an extra. Pretty good doubling job.

I think I remember a shot of a trenchcoat-wearing Cooper running into the sheriff’s station in the rain. I think you only see him from the back. They did a handful of those type things. Definitely way rarer in the second season.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I think I remember a shot of a trenchcoat-wearing Cooper running into the sheriff’s station in the rain. I think you only see him from the back. They did a handful of those type things. Definitely way rarer in the second season.
Yep, found it -

Episode 2
Jonah wrote:Finished a rewatch of Episode 2
One thing I wondered about: We see the shot of Cooper walking into the sheriff's station - when was this shot? I thought all on-location filming was done for the pilot episode, with only exteriors being used for subsequent shots and all the rest filmed in LA. So was this scene shot for the pilot?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Yep, found it -

Episode 2
One thing I wondered about: We see the shot of Cooper walking into the sheriff's station - when was this shot? I thought all on-location filming was done for the pilot episode, with only exteriors being used for subsequent shots and all the rest filmed in LA. So was this scene shot for the pilot?
I think it’s actually Episode 1 (at 5:41). This is the shot I was thinking of. Pretty certain that is not Kyle.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Yep, found it -

Episode 2
I think it’s actually Episode 1 (at 5:41). This is the shot I was thinking of. Pretty certain that is not Kyle.
Did I mix them up the episodes or is there a similar shot in both?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Yep, found it -

Episode 2
Did I mix them up the episodes or is there a similar shot in both?
I think you mixed them up. I did a quick scan of 2 and there’s nowhere in the episode where that shot would fit.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ok cool, thanks. I'll edit my episode comments.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

After coming away from episode 19 thinking 'Laura Palmer died for *this*' I was pleasantly surprised to feel like things are getting back on track on this episode. It's not classic Peaks, but the good far outweighs the bad and the comedic scenes don't grate when used sparingly. A few thoughts and observations:

I think this is the first mention of Project Blue Book - these 'lesser' episodes are fond of the myth-building that would help keep us wondering about the show in its quarter-century off-air.

How does Ed know the balance of James' savings account off the top of his head? Spend those $12 dollars well, James.

Bobby & Audrey don't quite work for me - it feels like the show isn't quite sure what to do with Audrey at the moment. We've seen more of her in the last few episodes than at many other stretches of the show yet these are some of her least memorable scenes. The scene with Ben & Catherine intrigues me - it seems like the Civil War breakdown might be at least a little bit put-on. Either that, or Catherine can bring Ben back to the real world faster than Jacoby's role-play and a bang on the head.

The Dead Dog siege falls apart under scrutiny, but is otherwise great - so let's not overthink it. Ernie works in these scenes, at least in my opinion, and Mounty King's rising anxiety plays well against Jean Renault's calm. Renault was an unpleasant piece of work but Michael Parks was excellent and I'm glad the character got a proper end. In his speech he refers to Jacques Renault as 'my remaining brother' so Jean-Michel must be a cousin (which would fit with the show's theme of doppelganger cousins) or some other relation other than a brother. I mean, if parents have already christened one child Jean, they're unlikely to call another one Jean-Michel...

Leo out of his chair. Leo Johnson hasn't seemed so prominent in this rewatch but I've always loved this scene. When it first aired I actually had trouble sleeping for the next week it scared me so much (more, in fact, than Bob ever scared me). Maybe it's standard horror fare, but the failing electricity as Shelly realises Leo isn't where he should be sets everything up for a satisfying jump scare.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

[quote="Mr. Reindeer"]
[/quote]

Yeah, on rewatching this on the streaming service even though not Blu-Ray quality but on a larger screen, it's pretty clear it's definitely not Kyle.