Episode 1

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Episode 1

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote: Exactly - and Cooper even gives Gerard a suspicious glance as he exits the lift in his first appearance. Almost as if the majority of people with missing limbs had been touched by the devilish one and cut off the offending limb to cleanse themselves rather than, y'know, having suffered a life-changing accident or some similar misfortune...
I definitely view it as part and parcel of pop culture’s tendency to equate physical deformity with evil, from stereotypical pirates having eye patches and peg legs to James Bond villains like Dr. No (no hands) and Blofeld (disfiguring facial scar) etc. etc.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Just began my own rewatch the other day and concerning the one armed man, isn't it a bit of serendipity that Hawk loses him in a room bathed in blue? We can pretend it's a deliberate attempt to foreshadow a Blue Rose case.

One curiosity is that Cooper asks Norma for the list of recipients for the Meals On Wheels route that Laura's covered. We're never shown Cooper interviewing anyone on the route afterward and if not for Harold and Donna we might never meet anyone on that list. I suppose we can imagine TP's deputies taking on the task and handing Cooper the information later. But that explanation feels kinda lumpy.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Dougie Cooper wrote:Just began my own rewatch the other day and concerning the one armed man, isn't it a bit of serendipity that Hawk loses him in a room bathed in blue? We can pretend it's a deliberate attempt to foreshadow a Blue Rose case.

One curiosity is that Cooper asks Norma for the list of recipients for the Meals On Wheels route that Laura's covered. We're never shown Cooper interviewing anyone on the route afterward and if not for Harold and Donna we might never meet anyone on that list. I suppose we can imagine TP's deputies taking on the task and handing Cooper the information later. But that explanation feels kinda lumpy.
It's strange that Meals On Wheels is mentioned at all as I can't imagine they had the Harold Smith story in mind that far ahead.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Henrys Hair wrote:
Dougie Cooper wrote:Just began my own rewatch the other day and concerning the one armed man, isn't it a bit of serendipity that Hawk loses him in a room bathed in blue? We can pretend it's a deliberate attempt to foreshadow a Blue Rose case.

It's strange that Meals On Wheels is mentioned at all as I can't imagine they had the Harold Smith story in mind that far ahead.
I suppose it can be thrown into the scrapheap of ideas that were toyed with and then later revisited.

Unlike whatever they had in mind in Episode 2, with Leland lurking behind a tree while Leo met with Mike and Bobby. That one fizzled fast.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dougie Cooper wrote:
Henrys Hair wrote:

I suppose it can be thrown into the scrapheap of ideas that were toyed with and then later revisited.

Unlike whatever they had in mind in Episode 2, with Leland lurking behind a tree while Leo met with Mike and Bobby. That one fizzled fast.
Or “Tojamura”’s assistant checking into a hotel room in Episode 7 before Catherine had even formulated her plan to fake her death!
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dougie Cooper wrote:
Henrys Hair wrote:

Or “Tojamura”’s assistant checking into a hotel room in Episode 7 before Catherine had even formulated her plan to fake her death!
Yes. That was an interesting head fake wasn't it?