Global Moderator

Frost on 'Midnight in the Desert' 2/11/20

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Frost on 'Midnight in the Desert' 2/11/20

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Did this air already? It says today at midnight.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Did this air already? It says today at midnight.
Tonight 9pm Pacific. There is no replay unless you are a subscriber.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ack, that’s annoying. I was planning to be asleep by midnight!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"We have to wait and see what happens." - Mark Frost on Season 4.

Really though not much new in that interview alas.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Not much new/different info, but he was consistently positive when talking about Lynch, still calling him one of the best living directors and praising his work on TP:TR. I’m very interested to read the book and the apparently less diplomatic material Jerry referenced.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Couldn't get the broadcast to load. I did end up crawling into bed at 1:19 though.

This morning I was pondering what might have been discussed on the show. It got me thinking about Richard and his situation, in relation to Mark's father Warren, which in turn led me to the speculate and wonder if a bunch of Season 3's story was derived from what Warren was experiencing in his life, which is a very, very trippy thing to consider. Were the viewers delivered into a reality that Mark Frost's father started to invent and inhabit? The show took us somewhere far away, somewhere that was familiar and yet, also strange and foreign, eventually yanking reality right out from underneath us. I guess it was that extremely surreal and also highly disorienting experience that had me thinking along those lines today.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Couldn't get the broadcast to load. I did end up crawling into bed at 1:19 though.
You can listen to it here https://open.spotify.com/episode/051tf2 ... 9QrR88#_=_
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Couldn't get the broadcast to load. I did end up crawling into bed at 1:19 though.

This morning I was pondering what might have been discussed on the show. It got me thinking about Richard and his situation, in relation to Mark's father Warren, which in turn led me to the speculate and wonder if a bunch of Season 3's story was derived from what Warren was experiencing in his life, which is a very, very trippy thing to consider. Were the viewers delivered into a reality that Mark Frost's father started to invent and inhabit? The show took us somewhere far away, somewhere that was familiar and yet, also strange and foreign, eventually yanking reality right out from underneath us. I guess it was that extremely surreal and also highly disorienting experience that had me thinking along those lines today.
The actual discussion was fairly predictable. Not much of note in terms of TP:TR.

I’ve written before on here my theory that Warren’s condition had an impact on the show as well as the books. Certainly, it would have been very much on Mark’s mind. Look at how reality seems to be constantly shifting or contradicting itself in the books (Richard Jacoby’s bizarre timeline contradictions are very similar to how an Alzheimer’s patient might conflate or misremember events). Dougie Jones also can be seen as exploring the complete loss of self that can result from the disease (although Dougie’s journey, more optimistically, progresses the opposite direction as the disease, slowly regaining the self). I seem to recall Mark, possibly on a Reddit AMA, being specifically asked and declining to discuss it because it was too personal. I hope I’m not completely making that up.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I also remember that reddit incident Mr Reindeer. I also recall thinking that it made it more likely that Mark drew on those experiences for the show.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

baxter wrote:I also remember that reddit incident Mr Reindeer. I also recall thinking that it made it more likely that Mark drew on those experiences for the show.
Agreed. I think if it hadn’t been an influence, he would have simply said as much.