Due South

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Due South

Post by Jonah »

Another great show from the 90's I've been watching alongside China Beach and Northern Exposure. I've been enjoying this show immensely. Cop buddy show/fish out of water drama with loads of wonderful moments of magical realism too. One of those examples of early shows pushing the boundaries of their network constraints before it became really popular to do so. Aired a few years after TP ended. I saw a tweet mention DS and TP exist in the same universe and it does feel like it. The main character, Benton Fraser, is very similar to original series Coop in many ways - the quirky, kind-hearted, boyscout style character. It has the reverse of the fish out of water story TP has - in TP, Coop came from the big city to the small town, in DS Benton leaves the small town (Canadian wilderness really) for the big city. It's set in Chicago but is a Canadian production. The supernatural moments are mainly lighter and the conflict is around typical cop drama-style bad guys, but there are lots of inventive and fun little moments. Highly recommend it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.