Film musicals

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Film musicals

Post by Stavrogyn »

One of my favourite film genres is musical film, so I wanted to start a thread where all other musical enthusiasts could share their opinions on the genre, film periods, and individual films. Even though my favourite age of film musicals is The Golden Age of Hollywood, and I most often watch musicals from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, most of my favourites are actually newer titles, like West Side Story (1961), The Sound of Music (1965), Cabaret (1972), Hair (1979), Chicago (2002), Les Misérables (2012), and my absolute all-time favourite: Moulin Rouge! (2001).

The irony is that I'm a big fan of The Great American Songbook, so I lean towards films with Fred Astaire, Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, and others, but the newer titles are often much better and more interesting story-wise, much deeper and bolder, so they manage to get me more emotionally involved.

The latest musicals that I enjoyed were the new West Side Story, by Steven Spielberg, and especially Jonathan Larson's Tick, Tick... Boom!, directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, which I loved. (I did not know about Larson at all until the release of that film.) The next one I'm planning to see is Larson's most famous work, Rent.
mtwentz wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:04 am The new West Side Story, which I'm planning on seeing tonight!
Enjoy! It has gotten great reviews, but I don't think it's made much money at the box office here in the U.S. just yet. Would love to hear your impression.
I have finally seen it on January 8th, and I definitely enjoyed it, but I have difficulties determining my opinion of it. It was good in every way, and some things were improved in comparison to the first film, but my general impression is still that it was somewhat unnecessary, in a way that I would have been thrilled with it if it was the first film version of the stage musical; this way, however, I feel like I would still rather watch the first film if I felt the need for West Side Story. I certainly enjoyed the direction and cinematography of the 1961 version more.

I have to say, though, that the performances of Mike Faist (Riff) and David Alvarez (Bernardo) were great and memorable, no matter how good the original actors were too.

The bottom line is that I would need to rewatch the 1961 and 2021 versions back-to-back in order to conduct a detailed comparison.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Re: Film musicals

Post by Rigpa »

I’m all about the dance in a musical, and I adore Bob Fosse, so of course I agree about Cabaret. But my favorite Fosse is All That Jazz (1979). A brilliant film all the way around, with one of the most sensual dances I have ever seen on screen (Take Off With Us). Sweet Charity (1969) with Shirley MacLaine is great, too.
Going back to the 50’s, An American in Paris(1951) is another favorite, Gene Kelly’s masterpiece. The 17 minute ballet with Kelly and Leslie Caron is amazing.
The original West Side Story is another favorite…I will never watch the re-make. Something about Spielberg just rubs me the wrong way…
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rigpa wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:45 pm I’m all about the dance in a musical, and I adore Bob Fosse, so of course I agree about Cabaret. But my favorite Fosse is All That Jazz (1979). A brilliant film all the way around, with one of the most sensual dances I have ever seen on screen (Take Off With Us). Sweet Charity (1969) with Shirley MacLaine is great, too.
Going back to the 50’s, An American in Paris(1951) is another favorite, Gene Kelly’s masterpiece. The 17 minute ballet with Kelly and Leslie Caron is amazing.
The original West Side Story is another favorite…I will never watch the re-make. Something about Spielberg just rubs me the wrong way…
I agree about All That Jazz, I love it too! It's a great example of a modern musical with not just memorable music and dances, but distinct direction and darker, poignant story as well.

Bob Fosse was a great director; it's a shame he didn't get to make more. (Lenny, from 1974, is also superb, and it's not even a musical.) I still haven't seen Sweet Charity, though.

An American in Paris is probably the best film with Gene Kelly that I have seen; I liked it much better than Singin' in the Rain. And it has Oscar Levant, who is always funny and interesting; I've also seen him in Rhapsody in Blue (1945), The Barkleys of Broadway (1949), and The Band Wagon (1953). I've always loved Paris, so that's a factor too.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To the Forum (1966) is a musical comedy I loved as a kid and still find hilarious. Richard Lester directing, based on the play with music by Stephen Sondheim, cinematography by Nicolas Roeg, starring Zero Mostel, Jack Gifford, Phil Silvers, Buster Keaton’s last film role…a bawdy farce set in Ancient Rome.

Speaking of Sondheim reminds me of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007). Tim Burton was a perfect choice to direct with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter giving fabulous performances.

And with Meat Loaf passing recently, how could I forget The Rocky Horror Picture Show? (1975)
Last edited by Rigpa on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I have seen Sweeney Todd when it came out, but back then I was mostly interested in it because of Burton and Depp. At that time I still wasn't into musicals, and I only learned that it is Stephen Sondheim's work a few weeks ago, so I will definitely need to rewatch it.

As for The Rocky Horror Picture Show, that film has been on my list for a few years now; I need to see it as soon as possible. And again, I didn't know Meat Loaf was in it until he passed away (accidentally, I rewatched Fight Club at a theater the day before his passing).

I never heard of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum; it sounds like my kind of thing, so thank you for the recommendation! I'm generally more into ancient Greece (Socrates and the gang), but this will do just fine!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 am I never heard of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum; it sounds like my kind of thing, so thank you for the recommendation! I'm generally more into ancient Greece (Socrates and the gang), but this will do just fine!
One of the songs from 'Forum' is really famous...'Comedy Tonight'.

They used to play that song all the time on one of my local TV stations, advertising for all the comedy shows they had in their lineup.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I own two movie musicals in my movie collection.

1. "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" - well before "The Office", there was How To Succeed!

2. "Oliver" - it was the musical I grew up with, so it has a special place in my heart.

Edit: oops forgot The Sound of Music, which I have on Blu Ray, and The Wizard of Oz.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:36 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 am I never heard of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum; it sounds like my kind of thing, so thank you for the recommendation! I'm generally more into ancient Greece (Socrates and the gang), but this will do just fine!

One of the songs from 'Forum' is really famous...'Comedy Tonight'.

They used to play that song all the time on one of my local TV stations, advertising for all the comedy shows they had in their lineup.
That’s so funny! It was my plan today to post this link for Stavrogyn to “Comedy Tonight”! It’s a great intro for the movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMrjeejmCpI
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:40 am I own two movie musicals in my movie collection.

1. "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" - well before "The Office", there was How To Succeed!

2. "Oliver" - it was the musical I grew up with, so it has a special place in my heart.

Edit: oops forgot The Sound of Music, which I have on Blu Ray, and The Wizard of Oz.
One of my favorite scenes in Mad Men is the fantasy sequence where the ghost of Bert does the dance number with the secretaries, the great Robert Morse who starred in How To Succeed 40 years earlier. A wonderful moment.
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

Stavrogyn wrote:
As for The Rocky Horror Picture Show, that film has been on my list for a few years now; I need to see it as soon as possible. And again, I didn't know Meat Loaf was in it until he passed away (accidentally, I rewatched Fight Club at a theater the day before his passing).

I’m aging myself now :P I was in my early 20s when Rocky Horror hit the midnight movie scene in the states in the late 1970s. I saw it many times under the influence of one thing or another 8) I never dressed up, but there was some talking to the screen! When we brought someone new to the show, they were known as virgins. So yes, Stavrogyn, it is time you lost your virginity! :lol:
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Haven't seen too many, but I love The Blues Brothers. Great music, great comedy, and endless spectacular car chases all rolled into an absolute gem of a movie.
I'll see you in the trees
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rigpa wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 am
mtwentz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:36 am One of the songs from 'Forum' is really famous...'Comedy Tonight'.

That’s so funny! It was my plan today to post this link for Stavrogyn to “Comedy Tonight”! It’s a great intro for the movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMrjeejmCpI
Thank you for the link! I enjoyed both the clip and the song, and the film is now on my list of the things I'm planning to see.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rigpa wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:12 pm I’m aging myself now :P I was in my early 20s when Rocky Horror hit the midnight movie scene in the states in the late 1970s. I saw it many times under the influence of one thing or another 8) I never dressed up, but there was some talking to the screen! When we brought someone new to the show, they were known as virgins. So yes, Stavrogyn, it is time you lost your virginity! :lol:
I'm always up for losing virginity! :D I just need to find or create the right environment to watch this film: the right kind of people, atmosphere, influence... The conversation about this film reminds me of The Room (2003, Tommy Wiseau), which has similar cult status and the tradition of people recreating the scenes in the theater. I've seen it a few times - it's not a musical, but it has some very corny and trashy love songs. You are my rose, you are my rose, you are my rooose...
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rainwater wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:43 pm Haven't seen too many, but I love The Blues Brothers. Great music, great comedy, and endless spectacular car chases all rolled into an absolute gem of a movie.
What a joy that film was when I finally saw it a few years ago! My favourite is the honky-tonk scene, because I'm a big fan of Hank Williams, and I find that scene both funny as a parody and the music enjoyable, sincere. Your Cheatin' Heart is playing when they enter.