Yellowjackets

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Yellowjackets

Post by Jonah »

Anyone watching? Thoughts?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: Yellowjackets

Post by enumbs »

Enjoying it a lot. Really intriguing and darkly funny, with plenty of engaging characters. I will say that the present-day story drags a bit, but the actors do a good job making it all interesting, particularly Lynskey and Ricci. The nineties soundtrack is fun too.

Slightly concerned that the hinted supernatural elements might become silly or undermine the psychological drama, but then I once said the same thing about Twin Peaks.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm mostly on board but not fully. I'm not quite as compelled to watch as I am with Dexter, for example, though I think this show is arguably more original. It's one of the most original shows I've seen in a long time. Juliette Lewis, Tawny Cypress, Melanie Lynsky are all great - and Christina Ricci is particularly a delight, playing a real oddball character and relishing every second of it.

I was also concerned about the supernatural elements. I'm not sure if they should go in this direction and am not fully convinced they will - I see them more hinting at it/leaving it open to interpretation both in the past and present timelines, but then again, maybe they'll go fully down this road. I'd rather they didn't and I'm sure people felt like that about Twin Peaks which let's face it, in season one, was still mostly rooted in the real world - yes, an oddball and quirky show in a quirky, oddball town, but still mostly a real world detective show of a type. And Lost during its first season was purposefully more of a story-a-week/survival-on-an-island show until it began to embrace it's sci-fi/fantasy roots (which the writers wanted to do do earlier but had to sneak by a reluctant network). I ended up loving both those shows more when they went down those roads (for me, the "real" Twin Peaks begins in Season 2) yet for some reason I'm still not reluctant to see other shows such as this one go in that route and am generally not a fan of supernatural horror/thriller films either.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lot of revelations in the latest episode. Feels like they're revealing a lot as the story has only four episodes left to go in this season and has recently been renewed for a second (and the creators originally conceived a five-season arc/plan).
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I'm caught up. I like some of the supernatural elements so far.

Part of human survival instinct historically has been intertwined with religion, faith, superstition, so makes sense that Lottie's predictions, visions, would catch on as something to cling to.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

overall, pretty good show. I liked the finale. Ricci stole whatever scenes they gave her.