Dexter: New Blood

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Dexter: New Blood

Post by Jonah »

Anyone watching?

Edit - This is the thread for the revival series. The thread for the original is here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2138
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Dexter: New Blood

Post by Jonah »

So far I'm enjoying it. I also rewatched Seasons 1, 2, 4, and 7 (considered by many to be the best seasons) in quick succession to get me back into the Dexter mode.

I like the new series so far though I still see some of the weaker elements of the writing prevalent in later seasons of the show so I'm not sure if it's a return to form as much as I would have liked. It IS better than Season 8 but so far I don't think it's as good as the first season.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I'm liking it. Not exactly groundbreaking but pleasant and intriguing enough.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:07 pm I'm liking it. Not exactly groundbreaking but pleasant and intriguing enough.
Good summary. Yes, this succinctly describes how I feel too. So far, it's good, not great, but quite watchable and relatively intriguing.

I'm curious to see if it will be the final season, leading to a denouement that people are expecting, but given how strong the ratings are, I can't see Showtime stopping with this. I think 2-4 seasons would be a good balance, about the amount the original series had before it started to go off the rails a bit. I'm guessing Showtime will want to continue it or do a Harrison spin-off, the latter not something I'd be very interested in.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Over halfway through and a lot of plot ground still to cover so I think there should be more seasons. I know this is a limited series with hints at a definitive ending but so far it feels like something that should continue longer.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This thread is not active at all. Do people prefer discussing non-TP shows mostly on reddit? I think the original Dexter thread was even more active.

Loved the latest episode apart from some gripes with the contrived or coincidental elements of the plot (and Kurt blaming his dad and getting out of jail just like that annoyed me). With only three episodes to go, can they wrap this all up? Is this the end of Dexter - or will there be more seasons?
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I'd be happy to discuss non-TP/Lynch shows here but in the case of this new Dexter series and Yellowjackets, I just have yet to see either of them. Just a bit behind on my queue at the moment but looking forward to checking these out.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

They've been saying this is a one season limited series but this might change their mind:

‘Dexter: New Blood’ Hits Season High Ratings, Premiere’s Viewership Rises To 8.2 Million
https://deadline.com/2021/12/dexter-new ... 234900201/

The latest, seventh episode of Showtime’s Dexter: New Blood drew a season best 2.34 million total viewers across all platforms on Sunday, Dec. 19. That was the biggest total Sunday audience for a Showtime series telecast since the Shameless Season 8 premiere Nov.5, 2017 (2.4 million)

Dexter: New Blood already has become Showtime’s biggest series debut ever on streaming in premiere week viewership, shattering all Showtime OTT sign-up and viewership records. The limited series’ premiere, which stands as Showtime’s most-watched drama debut of all time and as the most watched scripted drama season premiere telecast among all premium networks in 2021 (in Live+7), has seen its audience grow to 8.2 million viewers to date a month a half after its Nov. 7 launch on linear and digital.

The next milestone Dexter: New Blood will try to hit is match the Sunday premiere viewership of the Season 7 and Season 8 finales of the original series, tied at 3.4 million. There are three episodes left, with its finale slated for Jan. 9.

In addition to setting ratings records for Showtime, Dexter: New Blood helped successfully launch the network’s new series Yellowjackets, which already has been renewed for a second season. In light of New Blood’s big showing, could there be another installment in the future?
“Dexter: New Blood is a limited series and any further discussions of Dexter will have to wait until we finish airing the limited series and see where we are with our stories and our characters,” Showtime’s President of Entertainment Gary Levine told Deadline last week. “Dexter: New Blood was really designed to have a proper conclusion to the series, and I believe we will deliver that in the best possible way.”

The ratings could mean a Season 2 and beyond but only if
Spoiler:
they don't kill the character off
which was the showrunner's original plan (and he's returned for this limited series). They've been cagey about the finale but also said this would be the ending it should have been in Season 8 and it will "blow up the internet" so not sure if that means they're going that route or something else. It's already been shot unless they shot an alternative ending just in case. And with the CEO saying it's designed to be a conclusion, that sounds pretty definitive. So not sure - but in any event, this success could indicate more, maybe another season or maybe some kind of spin-off like "Harrison" or something which I don't think nearly as many fans would be on board with, even if
Spoiler:
Dexter's back as his "ghost" like Debra is this season
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

It's ok. I'm not sure about the casting. It's the weird mix of network TV type sassy one-note characters with their typecast actors.

This time, without the double-play prelude offered by Succession, I forgot to watch the new episode until last night. Again, it's watchable and I'm glad they made it, but it's very whelming.
Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This week's episode is absolutely insane - so much happens. And a direct Twin Peaks reference when Dexter says he'd like a "damn fine cup of coffee". Perhaps shows that Showtime is still thinking about TP too - and if not, at least the Dexter writers are. There's so much more I want to say about this episode but won't in case people here haven't seen it yet.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Has it already aired?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Early access midnight last night EST. Airs properly tonight. Not sure where you watch it. Lots of people get it the day before - and Australia get it the day before that too. So lots of people have seen it. Lot of spoilers out there so tread carefully until you watch it. I'm purposefully not saying much here yet.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:56 am It's ok. I'm not sure about the casting. It's the weird mix of network TV type sassy highly-photogenic but one-note characters with their typecast actors but with more serious cable filmmaking (sometimes).

This time week, without the double-play prelude offered by Succession, I failed to watch the new episode until last night. Again, it's watchable and I'm glad they made it, but it's very whelming.
I see where you're coming from. My feelings are mixed but I really like it despite seeing all its flaws. I think the overall arc is great - but the individual episode-by-episode plotting is weak. I think the cinematography is beautiful, the show is really good, but the development of the plot is lacking. Like the overall plot is good, but when you break it down, there's a lot of bad goofs - with the internet/ketamine thing, Molly's reasons for investigating the disappearance, Angela's character arc, Kurt's backstory, some of the silly decision-making made by Dexter not just because he's rusty, things like Kurt pulling up a big tank outside their house and expecting them not to hear it as he doused the house with gasoline, etc. etc. There's flashes of genius - Dexter in the moonlit woods as Leonard Cohen plays - that are just beautiful and the overall story seems fine, but I expected Kurt to be more menacing than he was (though the reveal of his grisly trophies certainly worked well), some of the side characters seem like they're pulled from other TV shows (and actually are, but feel like they'd belong better in a sitcom). Just a lot of clunkiness that surprises me, plot issues, convoluted stuff. But yet overall I really like. It's weird. Despite listing out a lot of its flaws here, in general I'm able to overlook them and enjoy it. It's the only thing I'm following on a week-by-week basis (I'm watching Yellowjackets too but I don't necessarily watch it every week, mostly but I don't care if I catch it when it airs or a few days later or the following week kind of thing and didn't watch the most recent episode yet whereas with Dexter I try to watch straight away/stay up late to watch) so I will miss it when it's over and still hope it gets a Season 2 despite thinking it won't based on the showrunner's comments, leading me to think it will lead to a spin-off if anything.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

(WARNING! NO SPOILERS - THIS POST IS JUST MY FEELINGS ABOUT THE FINALE EPISODE BUT MY REACTION MAY IN ITSELF BE INDICATIVE OF SPOILERS SO IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET, DON'T READ ON! Also, if anyone still hasn't seen it, avoid reddit, Twitter, Google news, as it's being talked about a lot at the moment.)

Well, I've enjoyed most of the season, overlooked its many plot contrivances and focused on the good only to end up absolutely hating the ending. I won't say much here until others have had a chance to see it but suffice it to say, in my opinion it's an even worse ending than the original awful ending. The overall reaction seems to be negative online too. It was all fine until the last 10 minutes or so, or if not fine at least decent overlooking plot contrivances. But those last ten minutes - yikes. Awful, just awful. I've been ranting elsewhere about it like a true geek and am tired now (watched it early this morning and it ended up taking up my day). I'll try to add some more detailed thoughts at another time.

(NOTE - NO SPOILERS FOR A FEW DAYS WITHOUT TAGS! For the sake of others, if anyone else is commenting on here for the next few days - even though this thread has been quiet - please use spoiler tags or write your comments in such a way that you don't reveal the ending.)

To use spoiler tags it's (spoiler)(/spoiler), text in between, but with [ ] instead of ( )
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Hmmmmmmmmmn