Trey Parker & Matt Stone Sign New $900 Million Deal Including 14 Streaming ‘South Park’ Films

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Trey Parker & Matt Stone Sign New $900 Million Deal Including 14 Streaming ‘South Park’ Films

Post by Stavrogyn »

There have to be some South Park fans here.

On August 5, major news broke out: https://theplaylist.net/trey-parker-mat ... -20210805/

South Park has been renewed until its 30th season, and fourteen new films have been ordered! :shock:
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Trey Parker & Matt Stone Sign New $900 Million Deal Including 14 Streaming ‘South Park’ Films

Post by Histeria »

Damn that's like 13 Unrecorded Nights.

Similar alleged format, too. ViacomCBS are serious.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Trey Parker & Matt Stone Sign New $900 Million Deal Including 14 Streaming ‘South Park’ Films

Post by AXX°N N. »

Surprising news, but feels like a natural progression given their experiment with serialized seasons.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

AXX°N N. wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:19 pm Surprising news, but feels like a natural progression given their experiment with serialized seasons.
I enjoyed those seasons, they felt fresh to me, but I'm not sure if the general reaction was as positive as mine.

I was very surprised by this news. I would have expected from South Park to come to an end sometime soon, not this. Needless to say that I was thrilled to be proven wrong!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I'm still stunned by the headline figure attached to this.

Imagine they offered a similarly weighty (in relative not absolute terms) package for Twin Peaks. Lord knows they need stuff for their streaming service.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:56 am I'm still stunned by the headline figure attached to this.

Imagine they offered a similarly weighty (in relative not absolute terms) package for Twin Peaks. Lord knows they need stuff for their streaming service.
Exactly. It makes me even more frustrated that Lynch isn't out there filming something, with a budget as big as he wants / needs. (Although I presume that in his case, regarding whatever project he may be working on now - if he is working at anything at all - the main issue is the pandemic.)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

What?! The $900m doesn't even include the production and marketing costs for these new South Park entries, according to Bloomberg.

That's outrageous. And people thought Netflix was insane for the Knives Out deal. At least that included production costs and a minimum spend clause per film.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:30 pm What?! The $900m doesn't even include the production and marketing costs for these new South Park entries, according to Bloomberg.

That's outrageous. And people thought Netflix was insane for the Knives Out deal. At least that included production costs and a minimum spend clause per film.
I just read the Matt Stone interview on Bloomberg. My feelings are very mixed. On one hand, I love those guys and their work, and I will be happy to watch everything they do. But on the other, it is so much money that - to use a South Park reference - that pisses me off!

South Park was a major influence on me in my childhood, together with Eminem, and my early work owes a lot to it/them. If only I could make at least a small portion of what they are making... I don't need $900m, $1m would suffice! :D

And I haven't even watched all the seasons that came out so far. I will have to start from the beginning... My head will explode!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I haven't really watched the series beyond fleetingly catching episodes as a child.

But Bigger, Longer and Uncut is unironically one of my favourite films ever.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:50 am But Bigger, Longer and Uncut is unironically one of my favourite films ever.
It's great. I never understood why haven't they made more films at some point.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am
It's great. I never understood why haven't they made more films at some point.
Seemingly, it's because they were holding out for a $1b deal to make dozens of them!
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 am Seemingly, it's because they were holding out for a $1b deal to make dozens of them!
They must have been planning this from the very beginning! They surely have dozens of scripts ready, some of them dating back to as early as the late nineties... True visionaries and business masterminds! :shock:
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:36 am
Histeria wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 am Seemingly, it's because they were holding out for a $1b deal to make dozens of them!
They must have been planning this from the very beginning! They surely have dozens of scripts ready, some of them dating back to as early as the late nineties... True visionaries and business masterminds! :shock:
Perhaps even an old box of unrealised scripts that they had their producer dig out!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:36 amsome of them dating back to as early as the late nineties...
Actually, they frown upon their earlier work. I've read a statement from Trey Parker that they hate their writing back then, wishing they could erase the first 3 seasons.
For me, season 1 and 2 (and the movie) as a whole are still the greatest of all time. This has something to do with nostalgia (it also seriously influenced my youth), but also the way characters developed. For instance, I liked how early on, Kyle was just as immoral as any other character on the show: he was just a kid. Though there are definitely some later gems, I think overall the quality of South Park took a dive over the last decade or so, but is certainly climbing up again. Especially the two covid features were great, soI'm looking forward to what they have in store.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Soolsma wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:02 am Actually, they frown upon their earlier work. I've read a statement from Trey Parker that they hate their writing back then, wishing they could erase the first 3 seasons.
That's always been such a head scratcher for me. Me and a friend recently sat down to see how much South Park we could stand, to see if it held up, and we liked the first 3 seasons the most. When the characters began to change we grew tired of them, especially Cartman, who went from a kind of clueless actual child to the mind of an ignorant adult in the body of a child, Machiavelian or not depending on the episode. There was something much more appealing when it was more DIY, when the characters were more naturalistic, and the humor knowingly crass instead of unknowingly failing to match the ambitions of its political awareness.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.