Danish art-house cinema: Dreyer, von Trier, Vinterberg...

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Danish art-house cinema: Dreyer, von Trier, Vinterberg...

Post by Stavrogyn »

During the last few years, I've been becoming increasingly interested in Danish cinema; to be clear, when I say "Danish cinema", I think of films made in Denmark, in Danish, as well as those made outside of Denmark, and in other languages, but by Danish directors.

The first Danish director that really caught my interest, a few years ago, was the great master, Carl Theodor Dreyer. So far I've seen Mikaël / Michael (1924), La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc / The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), Vampyr (1932), Vredens Dag / Day of Wrath (1943), and Ordet / The Word (1955), with Ordet being my absolute favourite of his, as well as one of the greatest films I have seen during the last few years. My intention is to watch everything he made sometime soon. (Here is a link to a good Internet web-page about Dreyer and his work: https://www.carlthdreyer.dk/en)

My favourite Danish director is, however, Lars von Trier. I've seen almost all of his work - I'm saving Riget / The Kingdom for the last - and at this moment my favourites are Breaking the Waves (1996) and Idioterne / The Idiots (1998). (I have yet to rewatch The Depression Trilogy, so this might change.)

Out of Thomas Vinterberg films, I've only seen Druk / Another Round (2020), which I loved. Festen / The Celebration (1998) is next on my list.

Finally, there is Nicolas Winding Refn - another interesting and very popular auteur - and his father, Anders Refn, of whom I heard only recently, and who worked quite a lot with Lars von Trier as his editor and assistant director. His new film, De forbandede år / Into the Darkness (2020), sounds interesting.

My intention and hope with this thread is to discuss the above-mentioned directors and their work, as well as any other Denmark-related director or film I haven't even heard of. (I also have to admit that my growing fascination with Denmark also has something to do with the fact that Søren Kierkegaard is one of my favourite philosophers.)

P.S. Has anyone seen Afsporet / Derailed (1942) by Bodil Ipsen, the film claimed to be the first true Danish film noir? I'm eager to see it.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)