Riget (The Kingsom) returns?

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Riget (The Kingsom) returns?

Post by MoondogJR »

"Your log and I are on the same page."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Riget (The Kingsom) returns?

Post by Stavrogyn »

What?! :D

I haven't seen Riget yet, but I have been having sort of a Lars von Trier phase last two months, even watching his student films and such, and I got rather hyped when I read about Riget - which was partially inspired by Twin Peaks - so I was planning to watch it soon.

Won't read the article because I don't want any spoilers, but I hope this is true - such great news!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

It's definetly well worth watching. I personally think it's some of Von Triers best work (although I very much like Malancholia, The Idiots, Dogville and Dancer in The Dark as well).

I remember Twin Peaks being cited as an inspiration. But I found Riget much much darker in tone. Very unsettling. Much more like other works from Lynch like his short films or Eraserhead.
Make sure your meal is well processed when you start watching it :D
It's awesome!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

MoondogJR wrote:It's definetly well worth watching. I personally think it's some of Von Triers best work (although I very much like Malancholia, The Idiots, Dogville and Dancer in The Dark as well).
My favorites are the Golden Heart trilogy (Breaking the Waves, Idioterne and Dancer in the Dark) and Melancholia, but if I had to choose only one of his films, it would definitely be Breaking the Waves. (I haven't seen Dogville yet.)
MoondogJR wrote:I remember Twin Peaks being cited as an inspiration. But I found Riget much much darker in tone. Very unsettling. Much more like other works from Lynch like his short films or Eraserhead.
Make sure your meal is well processed when you start watching it :D
It's awesome!
This makes me even more interested! :D I always liked darker content, so this, combined with the fact that it's Lars von Trier and that it bears some similarities with Twin Peaks, puts it on the top spot of my TV-series-to-watch list.

The only thing that worries me a bit is what will the new season look like, because even though I appreciate von Trier's last two films (Nymphomaniac and The House that Jack Built), I think they are not on the same level as his earlier films; they seem to shock for the sake of shocking and, because of their postmodernist approach, they often feel incoherent. (The ending of The House that Jack Built, for example.) However, I haven't seen a bad film from von Trier so far, so my expectations are, naturally, high.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)