The Criterion Channel

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

The Criterion Channel

Post by AgentEcho »

Recently, Warner Media rather callously pulled the plug on FilmStruck, the best streaming service on the internet, cutting off the service's cinephile base's access to the TCM library and the Criterion library. Either should be of interest to Lynch fans, but especially the Criterion library which has several Lynch titles (mostly shorts, Fire Walk With Me and Eraserhead).

It's a disheartening move, and for me it's mostly because of the Criterion library, which is full of classic world cinema. Fortunately Criterion has responded and will be launching its own stand alone streaming service in the spring.

You can sign up to be a charter member (for a slightly discounted subscription fee) here:
https://www.criterion.com/channel

The Criterion library is invaluable, offering instant access to hundreds of titles from cinematic titans as well as a good amount of more obscure classics. As Guillermo Del Toro put it, the monthly cost for access is less than the cost of couple of trips to a fast food restaurant a month.

The world cinephile community should band together to make The Criterion Channel a success.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: The Criterion Channel

Post by mtwentz »

AgentEcho wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 am Recently, Warner Media rather callously pulled the plug on FilmStruck, the best streaming service on the internet, cutting off the service's cinephile base's access to the TCM library and the Criterion library. Either should be of interest to Lynch fans, but especially the Criterion library which has several Lynch titles (mostly shorts, Fire Walk With Me and Eraserhead).

It's a disheartening move, and for me it's mostly because of the Criterion library, which is full of classic world cinema. Fortunately Criterion has responded and will be launching its own stand alone streaming service in the spring.

You can sign up to be a charter member (for a slightly discounted subscription fee) here:
https://www.criterion.com/channel

The Criterion library is invaluable, offering instant access to hundreds of titles from cinematic titans as well as a good amount of more obscure classics. As Guillermo Del Toro put it, the monthly cost for access is less than the cost of couple of trips to a fast food restaurant a month.

The world cinephile community should band together to make The Criterion Channel a success.
Just finally signed up for the Criterion Channel. I am really enjoying it.

Goodbye Netflix!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Unfortunately, The Criterion Channel is not available outside of the US and Canada, so I can't access it without a VPN or some other shenanigans, and I don't have enough will to do that. Otherwise, I would have subscribed a long time ago... :(
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:11 am Unfortunately, The Criterion Channel is not available outside of the US and Canada, so I can't access it without a VPN or some other shenanigans, and I don't have enough will to do that. Otherwise, I would have subscribed a long time ago... :(
I am the same- people tell me I could access some content outside of the U.S. using VPN, but I don't have enough will to do that either :D

In your country, do you have a specific streaming service that might cater to viewers with a more artistic bent?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:50 pm In your country, do you have a specific streaming service that might cater to viewers with a more artistic bent?
We don't have any real streaming services of our own; most of the younger people are now subscribed to Netflix, and HBO is very popular as well. TV networks do have their own applications with their TV shows, which is not bad, because, for example, the national television produces a lot of content and they have a lot of old shows dating back to the 1960s, but those were very popular - and still are - mainstream TV shows, which are now considered classics. They are far from being obscure. We definitely don't have anything similar to The Criterion Channel.

However, in my hometown, we have two small theaters which specialize in arthouse films and classics. One of them is currently holding a Pier Paolo Pasolini retrospective - they are showing all of his feature films - and the other one is playing a selection of works by Chantal Akerman.

If a film interests me, I do whatever I can to find a way to see it. If I like something (a director, for example), I usually try to find and see everything they ever made, and very rarely I'm unable to find something. So, yes, things are not perfect, but in the end, I still manage to see everything I want.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:11 am
mtwentz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:50 pm In your country, do you have a specific streaming service that might cater to viewers with a more artistic bent?
However, in my hometown, we have two small theaters which specialize in arthouse films and classics. One of them is currently holding a Pier Paolo Pasolini retrospective - they are showing all of his feature films - and the other one is playing a selection of works by Chantal Akerman.

If a film interests me, I do whatever I can to find a way to see it. If I like something (a director, for example), I usually try to find and see everything they ever made, and very rarely I'm unable to find something. So, yes, things are not perfect, but in the end, I still manage to see everything I want.
Now there, I am jealous. I am out in the suburbs, and I know of no arthouse theaters near me. There may be some in downtown Atlanta, but usually too much of a haul to be worth the effort. And the theater listed as 'Midtown Art Cinema' has as its feature film right now, "The Batman". Not too artsy, in my book.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

For those on here who reside in the UK and are looking for something similar, or for films of a more "artistic bent" as mtwentz wonderfully put it, the BFI player has some fantastic films on its subscription service, and has introduced me to many more during my free trial. I intend to continue with it.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/