Introductions

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Introductions

Post by Stavrogyn »

Hello everyone!

I am a novelist and short story writer from Croatia with an interest in literature, philosophy, film and languages, who has been checking these boards on an almost daily basis for the last two years. Now the moment has finally come to join the discussions!

I have been a David Lynch fan since late 2009, when I saw all of his feature films for the first time (skipping Fire Walk with Me because I needed to watch the series first), and a Twin Peaks fan since 2010. Seven years later I have become an even greater, a HUGE Twin Peaks fan thanks to season 3, which I consider the best of the series as well as Lynch's greatest work. Needless to say, Twin Peaks is, together with Proust's In Search of Lost Time, my favourite work of art that mankind ever produced.

The following is a summary of some of my favourite artists and their works:

Literature: Marcel Proust (In Search of Lost Time), Fyodor Dostoevsky (The Brothers Karamazov, Demons), Plato, Samuel Beckett & Jean-Paul Sartre.
Film: David Lynch, obviously (Fire Walk with Me, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet), Andrei Tarkovsky (Nostalghia, Andrei Rublev), Terrence Malick (Knight of Cups, The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life) & Harmony Korine (Gummo, Julien Donkey-Boy, Spring Breakers).
Television: Twin Peaks, BoJack Horseman, True Detective S1, Breaking Bad & The Sopranos.
Music: Hank Williams, Frank Sinatra, Leonard Cohen & Bobby Darin.

Finally, I have to mention that I am a proud Twin Peaks apologist: I love every aspect of the show as well as all the seasons, even those parts of season 2 that some tend to dismiss.

And oh, my favourite character is Benjamin Horne. Cheers!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Stavrogyn wrote:Hello everyone!

I am a novelist and short story writer from Croatia with an interest in literature, philosophy, film and languages, who has been checking these boards on an almost daily basis for the last two years. Now the moment has finally come to join the discussions!

I have been a David Lynch fan since late 2009, when I saw all of his feature films for the first time (skipping Fire Walk with Me because I needed to watch the series first), and a Twin Peaks fan since 2010. Seven years later I have become an even greater, a HUGE Twin Peaks fan thanks to season 3, which I consider the best of the series as well as Lynch's greatest work. Needless to say, Twin Peaks is, together with Proust's In Search of Lost Time, my favourite work of art that mankind ever produced.

The following is a summary of some of my favourite artists and their works:

Literature: Marcel Proust (In Search of Lost Time), Fyodor Dostoevsky (The Brothers Karamazov, Demons), Plato, Samuel Beckett & Jean-Paul Sartre.
Film: David Lynch, obviously (Fire Walk with Me, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet), Andrei Tarkovsky (Nostalghia, Andrei Rublev), Terrence Malick (Knight of Cups, The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life) & Harmony Korine (Gummo, Julien Donkey-Boy, Spring Breakers).
Television: Twin Peaks, BoJack Horseman, True Detective S1, Breaking Bad & The Sopranos.
Music: Hank Williams, Frank Sinatra, Leonard Cohen & Bobby Darin.

Finally, I have to mention that I am a proud Twin Peaks apologist: I love every aspect of the show as well as all the seasons, even those parts of season 2 that some tend to dismiss.

And oh, my favourite character is Benjamin Horne. Cheers!
Welcome! Looks like you have some similar tastes to mine, particularly Beckett, your TV choices (always great to meet a fellow Bojack fan), and your music choices (Cohen was brilliant and is sorely missed, I have all his albums and a couple of his poetry books; and nice to see some Darin love!).
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Thank you, Mr. Reindeer! I could definitely start a discussion about Beckett or BoJack right now, but I don't want to immediately become known as a guy who hijacks topics that are dedicated to something else (in this case, introductions). :D

I will just say that I am glad you share some of my tastes and that I also cannot believe that almost four years have passed since Leonard Cohen's passing. (I loved You Want It Darker, at this moment probably my favourite of his albums, and was totally surprised by the posthumous release of Thanks for the Dance - which I also enjoyed.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Stavrogyn wrote:Thank you, Mr. Reindeer! I could definitely start a discussion about Beckett or BoJack right now, but I don't want to immediately become known as a guy who hijacks topics that are dedicated to something else (in this case, introductions). :D

I will just say that I am glad you share some of my tastes and that I also cannot believe that almost four years have passed since Leonard Cohen's passing. (I loved You Want It Darker, at this moment probably my favourite of his albums, and was totally surprised by the posthumous release of Thanks for the Dance - which I also enjoyed.)
Choosing my favorite Cohen album, like choosing my favorite Lynch film, is a fool’s chore. But YWID is definitely near the top. His vocals and his wry world-weary delivery just got richer and richer with the years. “Leaving the Table” is essentially his “My Way,” to use a Sinatra metaphor, about as perfect an end-of-life statement as one can give.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

New Skin For The Old Ceremony, if you asked me ;-)

Haven't been on the board for a longer while but since holidays have just started, why not go back to one's roots and take a look at what's happening in the good old world of Twin Peaks?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Vier Sieben

Post by Vier Sieben »

Ugh, the forum ate my previous draft. I'll give you the short version and say: Hi! Occasional lurker turned new poster. Peaks fan since 2013. Interested in movies, music, and architecture. Looking forward to chatting with fellow fans.

Trivial bullet points:
Favorite "chapter" of Peaks: FWWM.
Most rewatched: Season 3.
Favorite episodes: Pilot, Episodes 2, 14, and 29, Parts 5, 8, 11, 15, and 18 (impossible to narrow down I'm afraid!).
Favorite side character: Shelly at the moment
Favorite soundtrack piece: The Pink Room.
Favorite non Peaks Lynch works: Mulholland Dr and INLAND EMPIRE
Stay alert. Concentrate. Stay clean. - The Detectives' Motto
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I've missed welcoming you to this forum, Vier Sieben, because for some reason I just stopped checking this thread, so welcome! :D
Vier Sieben wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:38 pm Favorite "chapter" of Peaks: FWWM.
Most rewatched: Season 3.
Favorite episodes: Pilot, Episodes 2, 14, and 29
These would be precisely my choices too! Lynch-directed episodes are the best, and I think most of us here would agree.

Your profile photo, where is it from? That face intrigues me very much, but I am rather illiterate when it comes to many, many things, so I have no idea neither where is it from nor who that is.
Vier Sieben

Post by Vier Sieben »

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the warm welcome!
Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:59 am Your profile photo, where is it from? That face intrigues me very much, but I am rather illiterate when it comes to many, many things, so I have no idea neither where is it from nor who that is.
The photo is of the actress Hermine Karagheuz in the 1976 movie Duelle. It's a kind of noir-inflected supernatural drama directed by Jacques Rivette, which, to my mind, has some accidental affinities with Twin Peaks.
Stay alert. Concentrate. Stay clean. - The Detectives' Motto
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Vier Sieben wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:30 pm The photo is of the actress Hermine Karagheuz in the 1976 movie Duelle. It's a kind of noir-inflected supernatural drama directed by Jacques Rivette, which, to my mind, has some accidental affinities with Twin Peaks.
Thank you for the clarification! There are a few films by Jacques Rivette that I'm planning to see but just haven't got around to doing it yet. This one now joins the list!