Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Post Reply
User avatar
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by krishnanspace »

Just creating a topic where users can recommend each other Movies/Tv Shows as I didn't see such topic elsewhere on this board.

Lately Ive been watching some Indian movies after a long time. Here are some Indian as well as non Indian films that I recommend.

1. Andhadhun
A blind man (yeah!) witnesses a crime which leads to a chain of crazy events. Good dark comedy/mystery/thriller.Movie was shot near my place. Available on Netflix

2. The Wailing
A Lynchian Korean Horror/Mystery movie. I'm convinced that the director is a Lynch/Twin Peaks as one scene has a striking resemblance to one of the iconic scenes in
Twin Peaks.

3. Gangs of Wasseypur
A family revenge movie that spans multiple decades/generations. Really good Crime movie. One of Martin Scorsese's favourite movies.

4. Haider
An Indian adaptation of Macbeth set in the 90s.

5. No Smoking
A surreal movie directed by the same person as Gangs of Wasseypur. People have compared this movie to the works of Lynch.

6. Dark
A small with weird things going on and everyone is connected. German Twin Peaks. The creators of the show are huge Twin Peaks fans.

7.Super Deluxe
Three stories(One about a cheating wife who accidentally kills the guy shes cheating with, one about an estranged father, one about 3 tennagers wanting to watch a porn film) all
intersect in various ways. Lynch appears in a scene in the movie. Not kidding. Damn good Dark Comedy(Lynchian kinda comedy) movie with a Lynchian end.

Please recommend me various movies/shows like these or the ones you would want to recommend
User avatar
mtwentz
Lodge Member
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:Just creating a topic where users can recommend each other Movies/Tv Shows as I didn't see such topic elsewhere on this board.

Lately Ive been watching some Indian movies after a long time. Here are some Indian as well as non Indian films that I recommend.

1. Andhadhun
A blind man (yeah!) witnesses a crime which leads to a chain of crazy events. Good dark comedy/mystery/thriller.Movie was shot near my place. Available on Netflix

2. The Wailing
A Lynchian Korean Horror/Mystery movie. I'm convinced that the director is a Lynch/Twin Peaks as one scene has a striking resemblance to one of the iconic scenes in
Twin Peaks.

3. Gangs of Wasseypur
A family revenge movie that spans multiple decades/generations. Really good Crime movie. One of Martin Scorsese's favourite movies.

4. Haider
An Indian adaptation of Macbeth set in the 90s.

5. No Smoking
A surreal movie directed by the same person as Gangs of Wasseypur. People have compared this movie to the works of Lynch.

6. Dark
A small with weird things going on and everyone is connected. German Twin Peaks. The creators of the show are huge Twin Peaks fans.

7.Super Deluxe
Three stories(One about a cheating wife who accidentally kills the guy shes cheating with, one about an estranged father, one about 3 tennagers wanting to watch a porn film) all
intersect in various ways. Lynch appears in a scene in the movie. Not kidding. Damn good Dark Comedy(Lynchian kinda comedy) movie with a Lynchian end.

Please recommend me various movies/shows like these or the ones you would want to recommend
My wife is Indian. Will have to watch some of these with her!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
User avatar
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
My wife is Indian. Will have to watch some of these with her!
Oh..nice. She would love Andhadhun! BTW which part of India is she from?
User avatar
mtwentz
Lodge Member
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
My wife is Indian. Will have to watch some of these with her!
Oh..nice. She would love Andhadhun! BTW which part of India is she from?
She is actually from Mauritius but her grandparents I think were from Andhra Predesh. She does speak and understand Hindi.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
User avatar
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
My wife is Indian. Will have to watch some of these with her!
Oh..nice. She would love Andhadhun! BTW which part of India is she from?
She is actually from Mauritius but her grandparents I think were from Andhra Predesh. She does speak and understand Hindi.
Oh..okay. You get amazing Biryanis over there
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Hester Prynne »

Has anyone been watching Yellowstone? I’ve started watching, but haven’t gotten far enough into the series to form an opinion yet. Just wondering what others thought. It sort of feels like a very dark, less soapy version of Dallas.
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Stavrogyn »

krishnanspace wrote: 6. Dark
A small with weird things going on and everyone is connected. German Twin Peaks. The creators of the show are huge Twin Peaks fans.
I have watched Dark this summer in large part thanks to your description of the show. I loved it, especially the first season and the original music, but it did lose me a bit as it became more and more abstract, which I usually like, but in this case, I don't think they handled it so well. (Also, I disliked the countless expositions - like they needed to explain everything directly at least a few times - and the montage sequences with the cheesy pop music.)

However, parts of it were very similar to Twin Peaks. The first episode especially reminded me very much of the Pilot. It contained so many similarities it actually distracted me a bit because I have friends who are fans of Dark but have never seen Twin Peaks, so I felt like: "This is almost a remake and nobody knows it!"
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Hester Prynne »

Has anyone watched Messiah on Netflix? Why oh why did they have to cancel this show? I just stumbled across it and finished this weekend. The critics hated it, but I loved it. Apparently they cancelled it because they’d have to shoot internationally which is impossible with COVID. There was some criticism/controversy surrounding it that I didn’t quite understand, but I hope that didn’t contribute to their decision to cancel. Hoping Netflix will change its mind once we get past COVID and consider a second season.
User avatar
Histeria
Great Northern Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:26 pm

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Histeria »

Who's seen The Green Knight? What a film!
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Rigpa »

Histeria wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:25 am Who's seen The Green Knight? What a film!
Thanks so much Histeria for reminding me I had The Green Knight on my watch list! Watched it today and loved it. Such a beautiful, magical, mystical film!
User avatar
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rigpa wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Histeria wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:25 am Who's seen The Green Knight? What a film!
Thanks so much Histeria for reminding me I had The Green Knight on my watch list! Watched it today and loved it. Such a beautiful, magical, mystical film!
Everyone seems to be raving about that film, my real-life friends included. I need to watch it soon!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
User avatar
Histeria
Great Northern Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:26 pm

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Histeria »

Just watched the first episode of HBO's Scenes from a Marriage and I was very impressed given my skepticism they'd come close to Bergman's seminal original.
User avatar
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by MoondogJR »

I'm kinda enjoying Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix.

Bit over the top :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
User avatar
Histeria
Great Northern Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:26 pm

Re: Movie/Tv Show Recommendations

Post by Histeria »

MoondogJR wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:26 am I'm kinda enjoying Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix.

Bit over the top :)
Saw that in the menus last night and was intrigued by the title.

What would your one sentence summary and takeaway be for the series?
Post Reply