Dune Rock Opera

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Dune Rock Opera

Post by Annie »

I was over at the DL group on livejournal and there was a guy posting about his band, Bene Gesserit Witch, that is working on a rock opera of Dune; their CD is currently being mixed. They live near Baltimore and will be performing in the fall. We started talking about it over at the Dune Message boards. I thought some of our Dune diehards would be interested about it in here. The music is pretty good. Go see them at http://myspace.com/benegesseritwitch
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Bene_Gesserit_Witch

Re: Dune Rock Opera

Post by Bene_Gesserit_Witch »

Howdy-
I'm the nerd that wrote the Dune rock opera and I took great pains to make sure the lyrics were correct and true to the source material for which I have a great fondess and respect. We have played quite a few shows as a duo and the well-read Dune heads at Balticon 42 seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. We take the telling of the epic story of Dune very seriously, however, we use props (box, worm, spice, Sting's blue underwear, etc...)to help illustrate the story and freely discuss/quote the David Lynch film version. Basically, if you are a fan of Dune in any fashion, you will have a good time. If we didn't respect Frank's work, we wouldn't dedicate our time to doing such a thing.
Our shows are sort of like an Abbott and Costello routine. I feel it is very vaudeville at heart. We definitely use the term "rock opera" loosely and YES YES YES it really should be either a SAND opera or a SPICE opera. I am open to suggestions.
We should have our full "libretto" up for public scrutiny soon and our full length CD will be out early 2009.
ALSO...
This may be of interest to you. I have been doing a Twin Peaks and David Lynch fest in Baltimore and Pittsburgh the last few years. It's been fairly underground but consistently cool.

2009 LYNCHFEST Baltimore info
www.myspace.com/chetlovesjade

I also made this Twin Peaks Lego movie a while ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydZq2lVnns

Anyway, I am a big fan as you can tell and am happy to meet y'all.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hi guys! Welcome to the board! You didn't mention that people can go to your MySpace page and hear samples of your music!!! So glad to see you made it over here. :D
Bene_Gesserit_Witch

We're almost, almost done with the CD and it should be out early next year! LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!!! The show is in Baltimore by the way...Image
Bene_Gesserit_Witch

Also I'd like to mention the Fourth annual Baltimore TWIN PEAKS/ LYNCHFEST which has finally set a date of Saturday JANUARY 31, 2009!!!! I've scored a really awesome venue this year! Yes it is a real deal BAR! And a damn fine one at that!
A few livable changes....
1- No B.Y.O.B. like the last 2 years! We drink in style.
2- They already have a video projector, so no begging and borrowing this time.
3- Reliable, easy to find bathrooms. Which is a plus I believe.
4- It will be a $5 show which is great because the overhead is lower at the new venue and well, the economy sucks.
I am setting up the bands and should have a "press release" in a week or 2 with all the info and map stuff for out-of-towners. It is still my insane hope to get a STAR from the show to be there but we have, like ZERO budget.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks for coming back! I'm really glad the Spice Opera is doing so well. And I'm glad you put up your new poster (which is really wacky, but that's a good thing.)

I really think the people who are more into the Twin Peaks thread will be interested in your Baltimore Twin Peaks/Lynchfest. So please put up the new poster if you have one in the Twin Peaks thread. (Or I will.)

I wish I could come!!! Great job.