4K Blu-Ray 8/31/21

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

4K Blu-Ray 8/31/21

Post by Jerry Horne »

Now then, the big news today is that Arrow Video has announced their August slate of Blu-ray and 4K titles as expected. And among them, also as expected, are no less than FOUR versions of David Lynch’s Dune due on 8/31! Note that all will include the 137-minute Theatrical Cut only (remastered from a new 4K scan of the original camera negative), as the Extended TV Edition has apparently been withdrawn from circulation in North America by Universal. (I’m told that Arrow DID try to include it.) Dune will also be available in the US, Canada, and the UK alike. Look for both Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range, with 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio.

The FOUR versions will include a Limited Edition Blu-ray (pre-order link: Zavvi US/Zavvi UK), a Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD (Zavvi US/Zavvi UK), Limited Edition Deluxe 4K Ultra HD Steelbook (which includes a Blu-ray copy) (Zavvi US/Zavvi UK), and a regular Limited Edition 4K UHD Steelbook (which also includes a Blu-ray copy) (Zavvi US/Zavvi UK). Note that the two Steelbook packages are Zavvi exclusives.

The Dune: Limited Editions will include (note that the extras are still in production and subject to change):

Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor

DISC ONE – FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K ULTRA HD – EXTRAS ARE THE SAME ON BLU-RAY)

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
Eleven deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
Theatrical trailers and TV spots
Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos

DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY)

The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker
Apparently the Limited Edition Deluxe 4K Ultra HD Steelbook will add a 100-page perfect-bound book featuring original pre-production concepts and designs by Anthony Masters and Ron Miller, and an interview with Masters from the film’s press kit. Whew!

via The Digital Bits.
Attachments
90af5090e3c1cf470a5429016ec0bcfc_XL.jpg
90af5090e3c1cf470a5429016ec0bcfc_XL.jpg (732.32 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: 4K Blu-Ray 8/31/21

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cool! I’m especially excited for the documentary on the score. Pity about the “extended” cut being left off, though. It’s an awful edit, but there’s so much great footage that’s only ever been available in that cut. Really, I wish they would do a more comprehensive “deleted scenes” feature incorporating the stuff from the extended cut. It’s really a pity that that stuff is just lost to the mists of time.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Is there enough footage left to "salvage" anything closer to Lycnh's vision than the ones we got?

Not that he would, just wondering how much of it is preserved in usable form or has that original extended TV cut footage been lost after the edit was completed.

There's surely a better version in there, somewhere.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:12 am Is there enough footage left to "salvage" anything closer to Lycnh's vision than the ones we got?

Not that he would, just wondering how much of it is preserved in usable form or has that original extended TV cut footage been lost after the edit was completed.

There's surely a better version in there, somewhere.
That’s a good question. Lynch has definitely said that he would never go back and re-edit it, because he feels that the production was flawed even before filming began. But in terms of whether that footage still exists beyond the awful TV edit, I’m not sure.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

So is anyone buying this?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I've seen the Destination Dune piece on you tube from 84, but I'm a bit disappointed this EPK is still not showing up in it's entirety.
it aired on Nickelodon's Standby Lights Camera Action.
I believe the BTS stuff was shot by Kenneth George Godwin and Anatol Pacanowski .
Nobody seems to have the full version and there's prob more footage shot for it sitting somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIye_iQO-nc&t=2s
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Annie wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:33 pm So is anyone buying this?
Pre-ordered the deluxe steelbook already.

But how about this:

https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-der-w ... films-shop
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:14 pm I've seen the Destination Dune piece on you tube from 84, but I'm a bit disappointed this EPK is still not showing up in it's entirety.
it aired on Nickelodon's Standby Lights Camera Action.
I believe the BTS stuff was shot by Kenneth George Godwin and Anatol Pacanowski .
Nobody seems to have the full version and there's prob more footage shot for it sitting somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIye_iQO-nc&t=2s
Godwin shot a TON of stuff. He spent six months on set. I wonder if that footage still exists or if it was destroyed by Universal. It’s crazy that they paid him all that money to document the film, and then just scrapped pretty much everything he did. For some reason, they abandoned his approach and instead chose the shitty EPK and the bland Ed Naha book.

Godwin published his journal detailing his experience on set in Mexico, available on Kindle. It’s an interesting read, long and self-indulgent (as journals tend to be), but really a unique view into that period of Lynch’s career (with chronicles of drinking with Jack Nance, etc.). His Eraserhead book is also great, terrific interviews with Lynch and the other participants from circa 1981, containing information I’ve never seen anywhere else.

If that “lost” footage does indeed still exist, there is an INCREDIBLE Dune making-of movie still to be had.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

there are missing bits in the EPK here, the Splet segment for example. do you know of a full version of it out there ?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Sadly not, but I’ll keep an eye out. Really wish there’d be a proper assembly of all the footage as a feature documentary.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

hopefully Nickelodeon still has the Standby Light Camera Action tapes.

I'm afraid It's possible the original Dune BTS tapes were tossed or wiped or something.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:35 am hopefully Nickelodeon still has the Standby Light Camera Action tapes.

I'm afraid It's possible the original Dune BTS tapes were tossed or wiped or something.
I agree. Godwin’s email address is on his website. I had a brief exchange with him a few years ago. My recollection (either from his book or the emails, I can’t remember) is that even he isn’t sure if the footage still exists.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

Dune is probably my favorite Lynch film and it's certainly the one I've seen the most and hold most dear. I have, of course, pre-ordered the Deluxe edition and cannot wait to receive it. Having said that, for those thus inclined, I cannot encourage you enough to check out the great Spice Diver fanedit of the film which incorporates the extra footage from the extended TV cut in an infinitely more carefully crafted and considered way; it is far superior to that hack job and is, as far as I'm concerned, easily the best overall version. Though I will continue to watch the original theatrical edition as it's obviously the one best presented for home viewing, this fan cut (and even that term is a denigration of what is achieved here) has been my go-to cut for years. I know there are many who just summarily dismiss "fan cuts" out of hand but, given the especially storied history of this project and given that Lynch himself more or less disowns his own purported cut, to discount this supremely accomplished edit is simply a churlish oversight.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Thanks for the link John Lustice Wheeler. I will check out the Spice Diver fanedit.

Dune was my favorite film in childhood. I remember seeing Blue Velvet in 1987 or so on VHS for the fist time as an 11 year old, and I thought, nah, this aint as good as Dune. my appreciation for Dune went down as I became a teenager, and my appreciation for BV went up.

There's stuff about Dune that still really thrills me - Chani's theme for example with the wind chimes that Toto composed, still stunning as ever.