In A World of Scrutiny Dune is Still a Beautiful Film

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DLW
Roadhouse Member

In A World of Scrutiny Dune is Still a Beautiful Film

Post by DLW »

I know a lot of people both Lynch and/or Herbert fans talk about how the script or story-line wasn't what they were expecting from Lynch. One of the reasons that i love the film is actually because of everything! I absolutely love the script and story, corny? Absolutely! I love it nonetheless.

This for example makes me laugh every single time!

I just love the cinematography of the film as well, the colors, the atmosphere and just over appearance of the film is magnificent!

I just wanted to post some love for Dune because it deserves it!
Attachments
Look at that green, those whites and reds. It all just goes so well together! It's like picking ice-cream out just by the color, it all taste good but the look is a huge plus! Maybe it's just me, but the coloring of films just make my soul happy!
Look at that green, those whites and reds. It all just goes so well together! It's like picking ice-cream out just by the color, it all taste good but the look is a huge plus! Maybe it's just me, but the coloring of films just make my soul happy!
7b363035571b5bf3_large.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 20737 times
The characters are all a bit overboard and i enjoy that a lot, it plays into the campy-corniness of the movie, yet they all look just like what i would envision Mr. Herberts' characters to look like!
The characters are all a bit overboard and i enjoy that a lot, it plays into the campy-corniness of the movie, yet they all look just like what i would envision Mr. Herberts' characters to look like!
Scene-from-Dune-directed--001.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 20737 times
Last edited by DLW on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: In A World of Scrutiny Dune is Still a Beautiful Film

Post by Annie »

Welcome, DLW. There is a small contingent of Lynch fans who love Dune--the reason we have this included in the forum. Have you read what others have written? Actually, I see some of the characters differently in my head from reading the books. I still love the movie. You might like to go look at the Dunenovels forum.

PS. Please make your pictures an attachment or they won't stay in the forum.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

Annie wrote:Welcome, DLW. There is a small contingent of Lynch fans who love Dune--the reason we have this included in the forum. Have you read what others have written? Actually, I see some of the characters differently in my head from reading the books. I still love the movie. You might like to go look at the Dunenovels forum.

PS. Please make your pictures an attachment or they won't stay in the forum.
I will be going through the rest of the forums tonight! :) have a lot of reading to do it seems! Which characters did you see differently and how do you see them?

I will check the dunenovels forum indeed!

How do i place the attachments once i add them?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Re: attachments, when you're making a post, read down after you've written something; under the submit button, there will be a title Upload Attachment in dark blue. Have the picture on your computer and browse until you find it. Then go to the second submit button under poll. That should do it. We've had issues with people losing their pictures if they use imageshack or something like that.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

oh ok, that makes sense! I will take care of this as soon as i can! Thank you for the information!
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Getting straight to the point, I think Lynch's movie is fantastic. It does not conform to the mainstream audience's expectations, and we can all be forever thankful for that!! It is not a perfect movie by any means, but the ambience, the atmosphere, and the sheer eeriness could only have been conjured by Lynch. Dune is a rare case of having a fantastic book, a movie, and a video game (1992 Cryo Interactive) all capturing a certain elusive spirit. A person who becomes enmeshed in the Dune world will always be able to tell whether they are being fed genuine material or commercial pulp (hence the failure of many allegedly Dune-themed endeavours).
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hello Nighthawk, a man after my own heart. I love Dune but have to lay off watching it for about 10 years. I totally agree with you. :D
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Annie wrote:Hello Nighthawk, a man after my own heart. I love Dune but have to lay off watching it for about 10 years. I totally agree with you. :D
:D :D Thanks. Why wouldn't you watch it for the next decade? Overexposure?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Yes, overexposure. I do that a lot with movies and books.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

After watching this film yesterday for the second or maybe third time, (I forgot when and how many times I've seen it by now) I decided that I had to write something about it this time. All I can say is I enjoyed it a lot and even though it won't be one of my favorite movies (since I'm not one of the biggest sci-fi fans) I concur with what some of the previous posters on this thread wrote. Dune truly is a beautiful film. I'm not sure yet but maybe I'll try to read some of the books.