Front Page Story on Dune

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Front Page Story on Dune

Post by Annie »

Did you guys see the front page story on Dune with David and Frank?? One of my dreams come true. I just wrote Byron Herbert to tell him about it. Thanks for posting that, dugpa!!

And special thanks to broadaylight for finding it! :D

What do you think David would say now??
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Re: Front Page Story on Dune

Post by guildnavigator »

It was awesome to listen to the interview with david and frank, I remember reading about that tape a long time ago.

Thanks for bringing it to us.

The film is flawed but so beautiful! My favorite film.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey guildnavigator, you're a man after my own heart!!!
ray55

Post by ray55 »

Does anyone know what the two deleted scenes are that Frank and David discuss on the tape? Both seem disappointed in their deletion, but understand why they were deleted. I wonder if they appear on the recent DVD from Universal.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hi ray 55. Welcome! I'm not sure how to find out about the deleted scenes, but my guess is no, they will not be included. Remember the old story that David had to cut up so much of the movie, it ended up on the cutting room floor and he's never gone back to revisit that story?

Anyway, I did ask over on the DUNE forum if anybody knew about deleted scenes on the new release. So, if anyone responds, I'll post it here.
ray55

Post by ray55 »

Thanks for sending the question over to the Herbert forum. It's too bad that Frank and David don't mention what the two scenes actually are, as they might already be on the DVD in the extended edition or deleted scenes featurette. I guess we'll never know.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

ray55 wrote:Thanks for sending the question over to the Herbert forum. It's too bad that Frank and David don't mention what the two scenes actually are, as they might already be on the DVD in the extended edition or deleted scenes featurette. I guess we'll never know.

What deleted scenes featurette?? I've seen nothing about this.

And the extended edition is just added drawings with narration behind it for those who never read the book (the Alan Smithee version--really bad.) Doesn't appear to be on the new Blue-Ray edition.
ray55

Post by ray55 »

Sorry about the confusion, I was referring to the extended edition DVD Universal released a few years back. It had the theatrical cut of Dune and the TV cut which featured additional scenes. A featurette called Deleted Dune, with even more deleted scenes not included in the TV cut, was an extra on that DVD.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

OK, I just looked at those particular deleted scenes and they do not include the original cast or any sign of DL. Just a bunch of extras put in by Raffaella De Laurentiis (Dino's daughter.) So I got all excited for nothing...not your fault...one can always dream.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

OK bare with me if I am misinterpreting the discussion, but I just don't want anybody to miss out on anything Lynch's Dune .

The deleted scenes featurette has tons of wonderful stuff in it:

- An extended version of Irulan's introduction
- The fremen's reverend mother has a long monologue (with what sounds like david responding off-camera with lines that were supposed to be repeated by a larger group of voices in the final version)
- A discussion between duke leto and thufir pertaining to the prophecy of a young leader with a bene gesserit mother
- Extended version of shadout mapes' encounter with jessica
- Alternate discussion between Paul and Jessica after crash landing (paul is mean)
- Alternate crysknife battle between paul and fremen (original is only in the smithee version) (paul cries)
- alternate scene between the beast rabaan and liet-kynes (rabann rips his still suit and water sprays wildly compared to the version used in the film)
- Extended monologue from alia having to do with the guild
- Paul having nightmares on dune about "turning into killing machines"
- Depressing scene where Thufir kills himself by pulling out heartplug instead of attacking paul (My speculation is that this was a scene that Herbert asked david to change?)
- Paul makes it known that Irulan will be his wife (for political reasons)

As far as I know, all of this was shot by lynch but deleted. Rafaella provides the introduction to the deleted scenes, probably because David is absent altogether from the DVD (aside from stills taken during production.)

The TV version (or alan smithee cut) includes some of these scenes, and also some adittional scenes and extended scenes that cant be seen in the original or on the deleted scenes featurette... The problem is that there are a few scenes in the TV version that were hap-hazardly edited and now there are scenes in which the score overlaps with itself and a few scenes reused here and there, and many extended scenes do not have special effects (notice missing/reappearing blue eyes from scene to scene)

The TV/smithee version also has the horrible scruff-mcgruff sounging narration, but you get to see gurney play his baliset, and you also get to take in more of the wonderful sets that were constructed for the film. There are glaring issues though. They changed the guild navigator's voice (probably to extend the dialogue without having the original voiceover artist present)

I try to understand lynch's opinion on it, and i think i get how he feels, but still...

all versions of the film are full of wonder and magic (to me)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks for all the clarification, guildnavigator (you've got to be a huge Dune fan to have a name like that!) I was just commenting from memory and what it says on amazon.com. I was referring to the Alan Smithee version. I haven't seen those deleted scenes in ages. Don't like to over watch my favorites so I don't get tired of them.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

You realise thats a spambot right? :P However i am real and i just watched Dune for the first time last night, the theatrical version, and i enjoyed it! Ending was a little jarring, kind of expected a little bit more, but overall not nearly as bad as i was expecting reading some of the hate for it.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Oops! I alerted dugpa about that one.

rewak, you just watched Dune for the first time? Congrats. That was the first Lynch film I saw in the theater.

Had you read the book first??
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Cleaned and banned. :) Thanks for the alert.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

It was rewak that caught it; I missed it until I clicked on the signature.