DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Post by Soolsma »

Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 am (I still haven't seen Incendies.)
Do not hesitate! IMO his best work. It's what got me interested in him before he became the new sci-fi king.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Soolsma wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm
Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 am (I still haven't seen Incendies.)
Do not hesitate! IMO his best work. It's what got me interested in him before he became the new sci-fi king.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm planning to see it, as well as his first two films, Un 32 août sur terre and Maelström, those three being the only ones I still haven't seen. (When I like a director - not necessarily adore, just like - I tend to get quite obsessive, so I watch everything they ever made.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:28 am I've heard a lot of people say there's too little exposition in BR2049 and Dune. Too much is a new one to me.
There’s one line in Dune that immediately cones to mind: when Kynes dramatically says, “He’s locked the door,” after we JUST watched Duncan lock the door. That really bugged me.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:20 pm There’s one line in Dune that immediately cones to mind: when Kynes dramatically says, “He’s locked the door,” after we JUST watched Duncan lock the door. That really bugged me.
I thought that was for the other characters' benefit, not ours..

The one I found clunky was the talking Wikipedia device at the start. Was terrified it would continue throughout the film.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Well, DUNE won 6 Oscars: cinematography, score, visual effects, sound mixing, production design, film editing. That was nice. I was just glad it didn't win the biggies.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I was fine with it winning the technical awards because it was technically sound. I just didn't really connect with the script or performances as much but it's a well crafted bit of filmmaking, at least.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Ickles wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:15 pm I was fine with it winning the technical awards because it was technically sound. I just didn't really connect with the script or performances as much but it's a well crafted bit of filmmaking, at least.
I don't mind Dune winning the technical awards, except for cinematography, which I would have liked to see go to The Power of the Dog, or maybe The Tragedy of Macbeth, which I haven't watched yet, but it seems like an astounding visual experience, like The Lighthouse was in 2019 (that film should have won at least five Academy Awards, including the biggies).
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)