DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: DUNE to Be Released 10/21/21

Post by Soolsma »

Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 am (I still haven't seen Incendies.)
Do not hesitate! IMO his best work. It's what got me interested in him before he became the new sci-fi king.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Soolsma wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm
Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 am (I still haven't seen Incendies.)
Do not hesitate! IMO his best work. It's what got me interested in him before he became the new sci-fi king.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm planning to see it, as well as his first two films, Un 32 août sur terre and Maelström, those three being the only ones I still haven't seen. (When I like a director - not necessarily adore, just like - I tend to get quite obsessive, so I watch everything they ever made.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know. - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:28 am I've heard a lot of people say there's too little exposition in BR2049 and Dune. Too much is a new one to me.
There’s one line in Dune that immediately cones to mind: when Kynes dramatically says, “He’s locked the door,” after we JUST watched Duncan lock the door. That really bugged me.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:20 pm There’s one line in Dune that immediately cones to mind: when Kynes dramatically says, “He’s locked the door,” after we JUST watched Duncan lock the door. That really bugged me.
I thought that was for the other characters' benefit, not ours..

The one I found clunky was the talking Wikipedia device at the start. Was terrified it would continue throughout the film.