Twin Peaks Music Guide - Pilot and Season 1

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Music Guide - Pilot and Season 1

Post by qbin2001 »

Updated track list:

- section 'Soundtracks' added (in 'Twin Peaks Music Guide - Pilot and Season 1' thread)
- changed title of the "You Broke My Heart" to released title "Night Life" (see 'Legend' and 'Soundtracks' sections for details).
- updated titles (both season 1 and 2)
- updated last episode ("Dark Mood Woods" versions used).
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:Updated track list:

- section 'Soundtracks' added (in 'Twin Peaks Music Guide - Pilot and Season 1' thread)
- changed title of the "You Broke My Heart" to released title "Night Life" (see 'Legend' and 'Soundtracks' sections for details).
- updated titles (both season 1 and 2)
- updated last episode ("Dark Mood Woods" versions used).
Absolutely fantastic. You have such an amazing ear!!!

So there are basically 2 versions of Dark Mood Woods used in the last episode? The released version, and a clear/clean version (which may just be the same version with the elements mixed differently)?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:So there are basically 2 versions of Dark Mood Woods used in the last episode? The released version, and a clear/clean version (which may just be the same version with the elements mixed differently)?
As DEniZZrus pointed out - yes there is somewhere (but probably not in archive :( ) cleaner, re-arranged version that was used in first part of the episode 29.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Guy Quenneville wrote:Stray observation: For all the music in the Pilot, what's striking is how many scenes play WITHOUT music, unlike the second season, in which some episodes are filled with wall-to-wall music.
What's more surprising - Lynch's episodes usually has less music than other's (except last episode).
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

qbin2001 wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:Stray observation: For all the music in the Pilot, what's striking is how many scenes play WITHOUT music, unlike the second season, in which some episodes are filled with wall-to-wall music.
What's more surprising - Lynch's episodes usually has less music than other's (except last episode).
True, but Lynch directed episodes also contain a lot of songs heard for the first time (Pilot, 8, 14) Lynch had first choice about what episodes he wanted to direct and it seems he really enjoyed using fresh tracks.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Season 1 is fully updated. This should be final version (I will change titles to proper one when songs will be released).
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Sorry to bump this thread, but WOW...what an spectacular job! I've been reading it all remembering (and humming :D ) most of those tunes...
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I just wonder...

S1 E2

06. [Mix] 8:40-10:02
a. Laura Palmer's Theme
b. Sneaky Audrey (Audrey's Investigation)

Isn't "b" track solo version? Seems to me that it is "Sneaky Audrey (Audrey's Investigation Solo)", not full version...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

qbin2001 wrote:I just wonder...

S1 E2

06. [Mix] 8:40-10:02
a. Laura Palmer's Theme
b. Sneaky Audrey (Audrey's Investigation)

Isn't "b" track solo version? Seems to me that it is "Sneaky Audrey (Audrey's Investigation Solo)", not full version...
Sounds like you are probably right, Q. Its a little hard to tell since the background during that section of "A's Investigation" is synths, but I don't hear it. So it very well might be a "solo" section.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

So I'm a novice to all this, and I looked up front, but I'm going crazy nonetheless - I just was rewatching Episode 7 and hearing the version of Laura's theme that plays as Donna opens Jacoby's coconut around 3:40, with the piano sting or something. I believe the first page calls it "Laura Palmer's Theme (Piano & Rhodes)". Was this ever released, or no? I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

N. Needleman wrote:So I'm a novice to all this, and I looked up front, but I'm going crazy nonetheless - I just was rewatching Episode 7 and hearing the version of Laura's theme that plays as Donna opens Jacoby's coconut around 3:40, with the piano sting or something. I believe the first page calls it "Laura Palmer's Theme (Piano & Rhodes)". Was this ever released, or no? I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.
That selection, "Love Theme (Piano and Rhodes)", was released as part of the Twin Peaks Archive.
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

-- Danger Theme (my name for it; call it what you want). It starts (under The Bookhouse Boys track) just as Nadine hassles Ed from their doorstep about picking up the drapes. This music, which, for my money, gets its most memorable (i.e. frightening) iteration in Episode 2, when Mike and Bobby trudge through the dark woods to check the football by the tree, makes many appearances throughout the show, and really gets stretched out in Episode 25, when Jones attacks Truman. I call it the Danger Theme because it always, for me, signified something bad happening or coming down the pike.

It also plays when: Leo calls Shelly out on the cigarettes in their living room (Pilot); when Leo instructs Shelly to do his laundry (Episode One), at the end of the Pilot, when Sarah has a vision of Laura's necklace being plucked from the ground. This particular cue has the bombastic climax of the track.

Also in Episode 8 when James tells Truman about how Laura used to echo Bob and ask him if he liked to play with fire, and in Episode 14 when Cooper finds the note on Harold's Smith body.

Returns in Episode 20, as Agent Bryson and Cooper play out their coup against Renault at Dead Dog Farm, topped off with a brief statement of the heroic version of Cooper's Theme/Dance of the Dream Man (see episode 19) when Hawk announces that Renault is dead, in Episode 21, as Eckhardt arrives at the Great Northern, Episode 22, at the precise moment Evelyn shoots Malcolm, and Episode 28, during Earle's invasion of Miss Twin Peaks.

As you can see by what episodes it was used in, it was a favorite of Lynch's.

Not yet released.
Was it ever determined what this piece of music is called? I keep missing it whenever I look through Twin Peaks music online. It says "not yet released" in this post from 2011 -- could they really have never released this one?

It was always odd to me that it was never on the original soundtrack album as it always stood out to me among the show's cues (since it's so creepy).
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

squealy wrote:Was it ever determined what this piece of music is called? I keep missing it whenever I look through Twin Peaks music online. It says "not yet released" in this post from 2011 -- could they really have never released this one?

It was always odd to me that it was never on the original soundtrack album as it always stood out to me among the show's cues (since it's so creepy).
It was released... sort of as "Half Speed Orchestra 1 (Stair Music - Danger Theme)". Unfortunately without the last part of the track (last part is missing).
mtl
RR Diner Member

Re: David Lynch.com Twin Peaks Music Official Thread

Post by mtl »

qbin2001 wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:Just a general query to put out there:

Would people find it helpful to have guides in both styles - qbin2001's handy time-stamped list, and my guide listing titles along with descriptions of the scenes, notes on when and how particular tracks are used throughout the series, and the degree to which they've been released?

I think the two complement each other well, but I just want to get people's input.
Both will be helpful. When I finish my lists I will combine them into all tracks list from A to Z.

or Z to A? :mrgreen:

read the whole TPA thread in 3 weeks (dunno what took me so long - it's absolutely MEGA