Lynch's short "What Did Jack Do?" now on Netflix

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Lynch's short "What Did Jack Do?" now on Netflix

Post by Metamorphia »

https://www.netflix.com/title/81226955

Unexpected. Explains what he was doing with Sab Sutherland last year at the video house, I guess.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Lynch's short "What Did Jack Do?" now on Netflix

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That was a fun surprise! I was beginning to think we’d never see it. The vibe sort of reminded me of the Detective scenes in the Ronnie Rocket script...except, y’know, with a monkey. Lynch is pretty good at the hardboiled noir detective act.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, an unexpected but wonderful surprise!
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Just watched it, and I really loved it. It is incredibly funny. I exploded with laughter several times.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I assume this was shot on digital, right? I like that Lynch added debris to the image to make it look like an old B&W movie shot on film.

“Who’s going to believe an orangutan?” :lol:

Makes me wonder if we’ll ever see Jennifer’s film A Fall from Grace. I think David was supposed to play a retired detective in that, IIRC? It’s been so many years. I thought I had seen production stills. Does anyone know if that was actually shot, or partially shot? (EDIT: Looks like he was to play the father of Tim Roth’s character, who was a homicide detective. Maybe I just imagined/assumed that the father was also a retired detective. Interestingly, Jennifer said his character had dementia, which would certainly have been interesting to see Lynch play! A very delicate thing to pull off as an actor.)
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

If Lynch isn't working on Season 4 of Twin Peaks, I hope Netflix will send a small sliver of those billions of dollars they are spending on original content Lynch's way for a feature film or miniseries. Hopefully they are getting good numbers with this short.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just occurred to me that the talking capuchin monkey very much resembles the chap from FWWM who whispers, “Judy”! I don’t think there’s a serious connection, but one of those fun recurring Lynch motifs.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

True.

Just watched this again. It remains genius!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Just occurred to me that the talking capuchin monkey very much resembles the chap from FWWM who whispers, “Judy”! I don’t think there’s a serious connection, but one of those fun recurring Lynch motifs.
Yes, that hit me right away.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:That was a fun surprise! I was beginning to think we’d never see it. The vibe sort of reminded me of the Detective scenes in the Ronnie Rocket script...except, y’know, with a monkey. Lynch is pretty good at the hardboiled noir detective act.
Do you want to take a stab yet at what it 'means'? :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:That was a fun surprise! I was beginning to think we’d never see it. The vibe sort of reminded me of the Detective scenes in the Ronnie Rocket script...except, y’know, with a monkey. Lynch is pretty good at the hardboiled noir detective act.
Do you want to take a stab yet at what it 'means'? :-)
Ha, I wouldn’t presume! I think it’s honestly a fairly straightforward bit of fun. Worth noting that Jack has a line, “Am I all alone here?” very similar to a line Gordon has in TMP during Jeffries’s disappearance. One can imagine this a sentiment Lynch occasionally expresses on his sets during moments of agitation.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Anyone recall when this was filmed? I wonder if it was to let off steam post-TP, the gargantuan undertaking that it was.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AXX°N N. wrote:Anyone recall when this was filmed? I wonder if it was to let off steam post-TP, the gargantuan undertaking that it was.
Wikipedia claims it was filmed in 2016 (I can’t get the source they cite to open on my phone), but also says he first publicly mentioned it in December 2014 (this one is cited: he mentioned he was building a chair for a movie with a monkey). So it seems to be something he thought about before TP was shot, but filmed after.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I could open the link, thanks, it's a FB post by Lynchland that just dates it 2016 without further detail. Anyway, wow, I totally forgot how long ago he had first mentioned it.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.