Rainy Woods - Twin Peaks Ripoff Game

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Rainy Woods - Twin Peaks Ripoff Game

Post by dugpa »

vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

Wow, that's wild. Some of the "similarities" between TP and that game are a little too specific to be accidental aren't they? I'm curious to see how the marriage of TP with Japanese video-game metaphysical weirdness turns out.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

At first I was excited about this, just from reading the front page, because I figure there's no way David Lynch would ever ok an official game. But this is such a balatant rip-off and I just know they'll get all the important stuff wrong. It'll probably be littered with pointless action scenes and little actual investigation. It looks pretty cheaply made too. So it's like some real annoying jackass you know dressing up for halloween as a person that you might of thought was awesome, say George Washington or someone. You wish he'd just leave George Washington alone. Every minute he's in that George Washington costume is a like a stike against the memory of the man. Anyway, there's always the first two Silent Hill games.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Since Lynch has withheld permission for just about any spinoff of TP, us fans have to get out jollies somewhere!

I don't understand how details in Rainy Woods can be 'wrong.' It's not TP: merely something heavily borrowing from TP.

The lack of TP spinoffs has always been disappointing. If ever a show could have spun off comicbooks, novels and other shows, it's Twin Peaks!
epsilonminus

Post by epsilonminus »

I was excited about this when I first heard of it, because Silent Hill and Twin Peaks would have mixed pretty nicely in the right hands, but then I saw they trailer, and couldn't believe how terrible it looks. Terrible English voice actors, goofy extreme-closeups of 1995 lumpy character models, and corny balding Twin Midgets parroting The Shining.

I really hope they're prepared for the possibility of being sued, because they're not exactly being conservative with their plagiarism, and after the Tokyo Game Show, they're no longer under the radar.
Driftwood wrote:Anyway, there's always the first two Silent Hill games.
I don't get why people write off 3! 4 was terrible, yes, but 3 was plenty good!
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

This has to be the most blatant ripoff ever. And even worse is the fact that it looks like crap. Is this supposed to be for PS3? The graphics looks like a mediocre PS1 game.

I got curious about Silent Hill now, though. Maybe something good will come of this. For me, that is.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

and if my day couldn't get any worse.
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

This looks really bad. Not just because it's ripping off Twin Peaks, but it just looks like shite.
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

Its not like we see any game play so who knows. Blatent rip off's though, not only of TP but also of Blue Velvet.
adamus

Post by adamus »

ah well if you look at it as an unauthorized tribute rather than a rip-off ...maybe it won't be that bad. it looks quite cheesy but then so is resident evil...it's sure to bring a few laughs at the very least. :? apparently it is being categorised as an RPG rather than survival horror which could be interesting (not sure how that would work though).
guest315
Roadhouse Member

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

epsilonminus wrote: I don't get why people write off 3! 4 was terrible, yes, but 3 was plenty good!
Yes it was a good game I just didn't care for it compared to the others. I thought it was just "too much" I suppose. Too much combat, too much of the "otherworld" and too much backstory. Silent Hill 2 was a lot more subtle and I thought Silent Hill 1 didn't really need the backstory or explanation it got in 3.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a good Twin Peaks-esque game besides the Silent Hill series there's a game coming out called Alan Wake. It's about a writer who is in a moody pacific northwest town where strange things are happening. It's made by the same people who made Max Payne, which you could see some of their Twin Peaks influence in that game as well, nothing quite as blatant as this Rainy Woods game though.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I checked some around the 'net about Rainy Woods, and hardly any from the gaming forum crowd saw it as a Twin Peaks ripoff. Everyone said "Alan Wake ripoff". I think gamers need to watch more film and TV. (Though, curiously, one guy called it a Mulholland dr. ripoff. Huh?)

Moreover, none seemed impressed. I think this will tank - if they don't get sued first. And it's important to keep in mind that people have sued for A LOT less than this - and won (or settled). The Lebbeus Woods vs. 12 Monkeys case could have meant bankruptcy for a smaller studio than Universal - and that was just plagiarizing one scene (more info).
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

I think the Mulholland Dr rip off they speak of is probably the singing scene in front of the curtains - I took that to be a Blue velvet rip as we see some one in some sort of breathing apperatus, however it could just as easily be a Mulholland ripoff.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Aaah, of course. I took it as Julee Cruise in FWWM, so there you go. I guess Blue Velvet, Mulholland dr, or even Inland Empire are contenders for the "inspiration" behind that scene in the game. Anyway, apart from the gas mask-ish thingy, it looks like everything we see in the trailer can be traced to Twin Peaks in some way. I smell lawsuit.