Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm

Things have been surprisingly slow on this board, given that we’re in a quarantine and we all have “no place to go...BUT HOME!” I’m getting really into the OCD weeds here, but since time feels both infinitely stretched and utterly meaningless to me at the moment, the Part 7 “sweeping” scene really hit a chord like it never has before, and got me wondering what the longest single shot is in all of TP without a cut. The sweeping scene is a mere 2:28. Off the top of my head, I popped on Episode 1 to watch the Ben/Audrey scene, and it’s 2:58. I think that might be the winner (the terrific long tracking diner shot in Episode 27 is only 2:02, by way of comparison). Anyone have a shot to top this? Nothing is springing to mind, but there were a lot of long takes in those early episodes, and some in S2 as well. I’d love it if someone could best me and think of a longer one.
User avatar
TwinsPeak
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby TwinsPeak » Tue May 19, 2020 7:22 am

No clue if its the longest but the Audrey in the bank scene is kinda long. (nvm I just read after posting that its just one take you're talking about...my bad)


Quarantine boredom: someone should make a Twin Peaks Quiz
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue May 19, 2020 8:09 am

TwinsPeak wrote:No clue if its the longest but the Audrey in the bank scene is kinda long. (nvm I just read after posting that its just one take you're talking about...my bad)


Quarantine boredom: someone should make a Twin Peaks Quiz


No worries, that’s one of my favorite scenes! It really feels like it plays in one take because Lynch keeps returning to that wide shot of poor befuddled Dell wandering back and forth. I just took a look at it and I think the longest continuous shot without a cut is just over a minute.
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby Soolsma » Sat May 23, 2020 12:49 am

Even though they're not 'takes', as in; they were not filmed with a physical camera. The first thing that came to mind was the nuclear explosion, but it's only slightly over 2 minutes. Then I checked out the approach of the Fireman's place and it's a whopping 3:05 minutes of uninterrupted image. I'd say part 8 has the biggest collection of long 'takes' overall.

I wonder if Lynch would ever do something among the lines of what was done for movies like Birdman, certain sequences of Children of Men, or that one awesome episode of Mr. Robot. All giving the illusion of being very long, impressive takes, while actually using camera trickery to achieve that illusion. I'm sure Lynch could push this to a whole new level, incorporating art.

"'Who gives a fucking shit how long a scene is?!"
-David Lynch
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby krishnanspace » Sat May 23, 2020 3:10 am

Soolsma wrote:Even though they're not 'takes', as in; they were not filmed with a physical camera. The first thing that came to mind was the nuclear explosion, but it's only slightly over 2 minutes. Then I checked out the approach of the Fireman's place and it's a whopping 3:05 minutes of uninterrupted image. I'd say part 8 has the biggest collection of long 'takes' overall.

I wonder if Lynch would ever do something among the lines of what was done for movies like Birdman, certain sequences of Children of Men, or that one awesome episode of Mr. Robot. All giving the illusion of being very long, impressive takes, while actually using camera trickery to achieve that illusion. I'm sure Lynch could push this to a whole new level, incorporating art.

"'Who gives a fucking shit how long a scene is?!"
-David Lynch

I would love Lynch to do something like this!
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 am

Soolsma wrote:Even though they're not 'takes', as in; they were not filmed with a physical camera. The first thing that came to mind was the nuclear explosion, but it's only slightly over 2 minutes. Then I checked out the approach of the Fireman's place and it's a whopping 3:05 minutes of uninterrupted image. I'd say part 8 has the biggest collection of long 'takes' overall.

I wonder if Lynch would ever do something among the lines of what was done for movies like Birdman, certain sequences of Children of Men, or that one awesome episode of Mr. Robot. All giving the illusion of being very long, impressive takes, while actually using camera trickery to achieve that illusion. I'm sure Lynch could push this to a whole new level, incorporating art.

"'Who gives a fucking shit how long a scene is?!"
-David Lynch


Haha, I did note on my rewatch that there actually are cuts in that Candie scene, so he did get some additional coverage!

Good call on the Part 8 scenes. I checked out the approach on the Fireman’s. I believe you’re including what I call the “flying paintballs” shot in your total. I’d argue that there is an edit in there when we fade from that shot to the ocean, and you’re also including approximately sevens of darkness at the end of the pan-in, which is also sort of a cheat. Without those, I clock it at 2:32. But I like where your head’s at, and I’ll accept it with an asterisk. ;)

I’d love to see Lynch attempt something like Birdman or that Mr. Robot episode, both of which I love. I’m a big fan of long takes, but unlike, say, Tarantino, I get the sense that Lynch wouldn't have much interest and might see it as gimmicky unless there’s a really compelling story reason. Then again, one of Lynch’s favorite directors, Hitchcock, did a “faked” long take movie, Rope.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby krishnanspace » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

One of my favourite Lynchian shows, True Detective has an amazing tracking shot in the 4th episode. Maybe if the scene where Cooper and Harry rescue Audrey was shot in the current time, Lynch would have used that technique? The whole rescue operation could be a perfect example of a single long shot
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby Soolsma » Sun May 24, 2020 4:54 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Good call on the Part 8 scenes. I checked out the approach on the Fireman’s. I believe you’re including what I call the “flying paintballs” shot in your total. I’d argue that there is an edit in there when we fade from that shot to the ocean, and you’re also including approximately sevens of darkness at the end of the pan-in, which is also sort of a cheat. Without those, I clock it at 2:32. But I like where your head’s at, and I’ll accept it with an asterisk. ;)


True, but I thought the fade was slow enough to consider those two images were meant as a whole. Very much opposed to how say, Star Wars would do a fade between two scenes. The balls seem to be part of the ocean. As for the darkness, it's already there in the window when we first see it, and we're definitely supposed to still have the feeling we're still moving towards whatever is next.

Mr. Reindeer wrote:might see it as gimmicky


Agreed, he certainly isn't the kind of person who'd show off his directing skills just for the sake of it. I also doubt his trains of thought could maintain that kind of focus at this time of day.

@Krishnan. Hmmm, I should probably rewatch True Detective S1. It's been a while
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2706
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks “Long Take” Challenge

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 am

Agreed, that True Detective scene is great, as is the whole first season (and third season!).

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests