Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:32 pm

I can’t remember if this was previously known (I feel like I heard it somewhere before), but in the BTS footage, Lynch is insistent that Mary Reber wear her own clothes (costuming dresses her, and Lynch makes her change into something from her own closet). Definitely interesting in terms of theories that he wanted P18 to overlap with the real world.

The MacLachlan/Lee interview is pretty good. McKenna doesn’t seem to gel particularly well with Lee.

Sheryl actually says she rewatched all the original material in advance of doing this show. Bless her heart.

McKenna is weirdly obsessed with Cooper’s “celibacy.” Oddly, Kyle seems to agree with her (saying maybe Cooper had sex offscreen during his downtime but we never saw it). It seems like he completely forgot about Annie.

In a very sweet moment, Sheryl smiles and says she loves Lara Flynn Boyle. Nice to hear that from a TP cast member.

Kyle’s interpretation of Coop’s mission in P17/P18 is a need to restore balance, and a Sisyphusian arc, “continually striving to make it right” (“it” being Laura’s suffering), and not getting it right over and over. Pretty consistent with the general fan sentiment, albeit perhaps missing the element of hubris many of us see.
User avatar
AXX°N N.
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby AXX°N N. » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 am

I like McKenna fine, but she is undoubtedly of the journalist groupthink, and part of that, especially as a cultural critic, is finding your niche theses and just going with it for the sake of writing a book/article. It can lead to absurd opinions that I find a hard time believing would come from thin air, if not promulgated as part of a hermetic society of LA or NY-type thinkers. It's a feature of the territory, sort of like academese in Universities.

Perhaps for Kyle he considers Lynch canon as apart from the canon of when the show became slipshod. Perhaps in Lynch's head him and Annie's sex scene would have not occured.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby vicksvapor77 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:39 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I don't have the set yet (waiting to hear about disc fixes tbh) but I'd love to here more re: Ben/Beverly.


During the rehearsal, he hovers just inches from both of them, clearly incredibly moved. It’s really intimate and beautiful. In trying to tweak Beymer’s performance, Lynch explains that Ben really cares about Beverly, and therefore he can’t be with her. Whereas Ben has always chased the girls (Lynch’s words), he can’t degrade Beverly or make things harder for her by drawing her into an affair. Lynch also says that Ben is genuinely confused and sad when he says he doesn’t know why he can’t be with Beverly. I think all this is conveyed in Beymer’s performance, but it’s exciting to hear Lynch express his intent so clearly and articulately.


Probably in my top three moments behind the scenes in the new material. I love the character analysis and moments between Lynch and his actors. Ben and Beverly were also one of my favorite subplots in season 3 and it was a delight to see how much Lynch cared about it.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby vicksvapor77 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:41 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:For those who were clamoring for more Grade Zabriskie, we do get footage of the supermarket scene. Interestingly, at the end of that shoot, Scott Cameron says they’re going to the diner for a setup! I thought they were long done with the Double R by the time Jason S. got to town?


They were. Grace was originally supposed to shoot the supermarket scene somewhere in WA but they ran out of time so they had her come to LA to film that. The diner that Scott is referring to is the diner with the waitress falling asleep from Part 8, which we also see in the Part 8 material.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:23 am

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:For those who were clamoring for more Grade Zabriskie, we do get footage of the supermarket scene. Interestingly, at the end of that shoot, Scott Cameron says they’re going to the diner for a setup! I thought they were long done with the Double R by the time Jason S. got to town?


They were. Grace was originally supposed to shoot the supermarket scene somewhere in WA but they ran out of time so they had her come to LA to film that. The diner that Scott is referring to is the diner with the waitress falling asleep from Part 8, which we also see in the Part 8 material.


Ahh ok. I guess I didn’t notice the date of that shoot.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:43 am

AXX°N N. wrote:I like McKenna fine, but she is undoubtedly of the journalist groupthink, and part of that, especially as a cultural critic, is finding your niche theses and just going with it for the sake of writing a book/article. It can lead to absurd opinions that I find a hard time believing would come from thin air, if not promulgated as part of a hermetic society of LA or NY-type thinkers. It's a feature of the territory, sort of like academese in Universities.

Perhaps for Kyle he considers Lynch canon as apart from the canon of when the show became slipshod. Perhaps in Lynch's head him and Annie's sex scene would have not occured.


Maybe. He does also say that sometimes he sees TP scenes he has no recollection of filming. So it’s also possible he just forgot about it.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby vicksvapor77 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Ahh ok. I guess I didn’t notice the date of that shoot.


No worries! Sarah at the grocery store and the Part 8 waitress were shot November 10, 2015.
User avatar
Mb3
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Germany

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby Mb3 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am

Out of curiosity could some of you guys who already got the Box set please let me know, how much you payed for it ? I ask because right now the price to pre-order it in germany is still 154 Euros (approximately 170 dollars) which in my opinion is ridiculous.
LateReg
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby LateReg » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Mb3 wrote:Out of curiosity could some of you guys who already got the Box set please let me know, how much you payed for it ? I ask because right now the price to pre-order it in germany is still 154 Euros (approximately 170 dollars) which in my opinion is ridiculous.


135 bucks or so. But the price has dropped since then and it is currently 112 on Amazon.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:46 pm

I enjoyed watching all the Roadhouse performances back to back. Technically, this is the first “deleted” footage we’ve gotten from TP:TR, right? “Axolotl” has a pretty cool surreal strobe effect at one point that I really like. While I prefer the Chromatics and Eddie Vedder intercut with the scenes, they play well on their own and it’s nice to enjoy the full performance uninterrupted. There are also some more of the Roadhouse MC’s intros that we didn’t see. He does a very reverential intro for Julee Cruise (which would have been the first time her name was used in-world on the show). The extra Au Revoir Simone song is from the same 2007 album as the other two (clearly Lynch was fixated on that album). It’s a fun, enjoyable number.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby vicksvapor77 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I enjoyed watching all the Roadhouse performances back to back. Technically, this is the first “deleted” footage we’ve gotten from TP:TR, right?


Yup, it is! The James song with Renee reacting is also longer so that's only true "in character" extended footage we've gotten for the series thus far. Outside of the moments seen in the behind the scenes docs, of course.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks: From Z To A 12/10 & The Television Collection 10/15 Blu-Ray & DVD Sets

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:09 am

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I enjoyed watching all the Roadhouse performances back to back. Technically, this is the first “deleted” footage we’ve gotten from TP:TR, right?


Yup, it is! The James song with Renee reacting is also longer so that's only true "in character" extended footage we've gotten for the series thus far. Outside of the moments seen in the behind the scenes docs, of course.


Yeah, even most of the songs that played straight through on the show without cutaways seem to be slightly re-edited and/or extended. A few songs (like “Mississippi”) had lyrics that were edited out presumably for time or mood, but even those that I think played more or less complete on the show seem to have more crowd reaction shots etc. NIN has a bit more at the end after the song finishes up.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests