Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Jonah

Re: Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 am

Just rewatched this. Along with Parts 1 - 4, 16, and 18, I think this is the strongest part. I still think that wig on Sheryl Lee is hideous, though. The scenes would have been much stronger had they just used a better wig or got someone to trim/style it a bit to match the FWWM hair. It was sitcom-level bad for a wig. I also think they could have gotten a better double for Pete, at least someone with grey hair - the brown hair of whomever they used is very noticeable when he's fishing! These are small gripes admittedly, but it would have raised the production values slightly had these two things been fitted in a bit more seamlessly.

The whole Bob as a ball fight has gotten slightly better with age. It's still silly, but doesn't seem quite as bad on rewatch. Not a big fan of Freddie in general though.

Disappointed Coop never seemed to address Albert in the Sheriff's Station?

I remember Julee Cruise being so upset and disappointed about her song being cut down so much. Remember noticing it the first time I watched it. Has it ever come out why it was cut so much? Was it just a timing issue? And in the couple of years since, has Cruise ever mentioned it again or come around a bit on TP/DL?
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainwater

Postby Rainwater » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:37 am

Jonah wrote:Disappointed Coop never seemed to address Albert in the Sheriff's Station?

Why there is absolutely no interaction in the whole thing between Cooper and Albert, other than Mr. C briefly staring him down, is a mystery to me. Almost like they've mutually agreed to completely disregard each other. I don't get it
φ
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

Rainwater wrote:
Jonah wrote:Disappointed Coop never seemed to address Albert in the Sheriff's Station?

Why there is absolutely no interaction in the whole thing between Cooper and Albert, other than Mr. C briefly staring him down, is a mystery to me. Almost like they've mutually agreed to completely disregard each other. I don't get it

It's part of the anti-nostalgia theme of The Return. In a nostalgia fest, Cooper wouldhave an interaction with each and every character he interacted with in the original series. A scene akin to the Episode 17 scene where Cooper says goodbye to everyone at the Sheriff's station (right before he's arrested for drug possession).

Also, in a nostalgia-fest, Cooper makes a stop at the RR instead of driving right by it without so much as slowing down.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:39 am

I understand the anti-nostalgia part, but he did greet Andy and others, so I was just a bit surprised he and Albert didn't even say hello, considering they worked together a lot.
Mr. Strawberry

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Yep, I too was saddened that Coop didn't get to exchange a quick hello with Albert before disappearing into the void. Part of this was due to my knowledge of the actor having passed, so there was a potent awareness of this being their last chance to reunite. But yeah considering that they were good friends and associates, it is a shame there was only time for a quick "Gordon?!" before Coop had to be off on his way. On the other hand a warm reunion between old pals at the RR would have felt even more off.
Not taking any calls.
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:28 pm

I have a different take on the whole thing. I thought Mr. C walking toward the Sheriff station and saying 'Hello Andy' gave a real disconcerting feeling I like to call 'twisted nostalgia'. To me, that was the real payoff. Because I felt that feeling, 'Cooper is finally here', but it's the WRONG Cooper.

So nostalgia was mixed in with that Lynchian feel of not being anchored in a normal reality.

And when we do finally get to a 'reunion' with the old crowd back together again, we get the superimposed face; is this really happening, or is it a dream? Or another timeline? or an alternate universe?
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Mr. Strawberry

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Regarding the meeting between Andy and Dale, I am with you 100%, and the way Andy said, "Agent Cooper! Agent Cooper! We were just talking about you!" was downright awesome, it really zipped me back to the good ol' days. You're right, it was all nostalgia on Andy's part and you could really feel it, but on Dale's side, all bad, seedy and fake. I was genuinely worried for Andy. That was such an awesome scene. I was reeling too, because something about the way Mr. C materialized there was subtly peculiar. For some reason, it really felt like he had switched over to a different reality as well as a different place.

I think Cooper's reunion in the station would have been a lot more powerful if Harry had been present too, but that is an unfortunate part of starting a show up again after 25 years -- there are no guarantees and you've got to do the best with what you have.
Not taking any calls.

Return to “Parts Discussion”