Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Audrey Horne wrote:Ultimately Sarah was more effective for me just by showing her sitting in her living room affected by grief ... by making her (allegedly Judy) it sort of cheapens the ramifications of real life tragedies.


But isn’t that arguably equally true of the whole Bob concept on the original show? Dale and Albert even have a semi-metatextual discussion about this at the end of Episode 16.
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Audrey Horne » Sun May 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Ultimately Sarah was more effective for me just by showing her sitting in her living room affected by grief ... by making her (allegedly Judy) it sort of cheapens the ramifications of real life tragedies.


But isn’t that arguably equally true of the whole Bob concept on the original show? Dale and Albert even have a semi-metatextual discussion about this at the end of Episode 16.


Ha, but I am notorious on this board for hating episode 16, considering it the first and one of the biggest stumbles of the show.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1954
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun May 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Audrey Horne wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Ultimately Sarah was more effective for me just by showing her sitting in her living room affected by grief ... by making her (allegedly Judy) it sort of cheapens the ramifications of real life tragedies.


But isn’t that arguably equally true of the whole Bob concept on the original show? Dale and Albert even have a semi-metatextual discussion about this at the end of Episode 16.


Ha, but I am notorious on this board for hating episode 16, considering it the first and one of the biggest stumbles of the show.


I’m right there with ya (although hate is a strong word, I’m more mixed trending toward negative...and it has a few great moody moments, like that first wide shot of the Roadhouse interior, with Ben cracking nuts).
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Audrey Horne » Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am

If someone wants to get rid of their stuff, burn it, smoke it... more power to them. It’s personal. I know I can’t even look at my stuff, and put it all in boxes at the back of a closet. And it’s personal to someone being disappointed to something that meant a lot to them. And this seems like the place to talk about it. If they were running to a fan club where everyone is celebrating it and happy, then I’d get it that it’s not the place.... let them enjoy what they enjoy. So I totally get it.

Some of us are merely processing and getting it out of our system. It’s all good. I still love all the relationships and friendships I’ve made out of my initial love of the show. And I’ll probably go back and watch this again, and enjoy and marvel at pieces of it. And even realize and understand positive views of the whole. But I can’t mask that ultimately I wasn’t disappointed, it’s just a valid reaction I had. So again, this thread is, for me, largely for processing.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4184
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 pm

N. Needleman wrote:
Soolsma wrote:I find it a bit depressing that most of the general discussion goes on in a profoundly disappointed thread instead of a general discussion thread.


I'd be happy to move, but it's where people on either side keep seeming to want to have these discussions. Do we even have a general discussion thread? That might help.


Over time, we have gotten away from and off topic from the theme of this thread: A Disappointed Support Group. A thread where folks who were disappointed in S3 can commiserate with each other without having to endlessly defend their positions to others. Please respect the original posters wishes for this thread. Re-read post one if you need to. There is also a thread for Satisfied Support Group. Every other S3 thread on this board is open for debate on both sides.

Here is a link to a general S3 discussion thread:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3635
User avatar
meadowlark
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby meadowlark » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:They watched Episode 29, not the Pilot.


I think Lynch and Frost must have watched both of these episodes, for the simple reason that clips from these episodes appear in Season 3! They watch at least some of the Pilot, and some of Ep. 29.
Metamorphia
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby Metamorphia » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:36 am

So Mark Frost in this new Vimeo interview says it was his idea that S3 had to "get out of the town" and explore the new places (Vegas, South Dakota, etc), away from the "sleepy little hamlet". Wonder how that will go down with the Lynch-is the-antichrist narrative on here, desperate to crush everyone's dreams of returning wholly to the town of Twin Peaks. :lol:
User avatar
boske
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby boske » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Maybe you should do your homework first and carefully read what people wrote here before you try to be funny and post. We are talking about the green glove, not being soft where it mattered, the escort lady and a fine bottle of Red Bordeaux, watching the paint dry, a girl that has an armpit rash, floor sweeping, enjoying a smoke break with actor-friends for a few minutes, and various other dismal things luckily already forgotten about. FWWM was also partially out of town, so what? Let us say return took place in Buenos Aires with some decent storytelling, does anyone think people would complain here?

Yes, most of the folks are gone from the thread, I am in for the one year anniversary at the moment and will be taking a leave of absence soon... :-)
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby yaxomoxay » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

boske wrote:Maybe you should do your homework first and carefully read what people wrote here before you try to be funny and post. We are talking about the green glove, not being soft where it mattered, the escort lady and a fine bottle of Red Bordeaux, watching the paint dry, a girl that has an armpit rash, floor sweeping, enjoying a smoke break with actor-friends for a few minutes, and various other dismal things luckily already forgotten about. FWWM was also partially out of town, so what? Let us say return took place in Buenos Aires with some decent storytelling, does anyone think people would complain here?

Yes, most of the folks are gone from the thread, I am in for the one year anniversary at the moment and will be taking a leave of absence soon... :-)


How dare you criticize the floor sweeping scene?!? I love it! :)



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
boske
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby boske » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:45 am

yaxomoxay wrote:How dare you criticize the floor sweeping scene?!? I love it! :)

Alright, let's pick several more in its place... :-) What else was there? Candy vs The Fly, Dougie and the dandruff dilemma, and so on...

My dad had taught me to play chess at an early age. Not that I play it often anymore, and have not in a while. Now, a few years after he had showed me how to play, he said that one could play chess in different ways. There was this other chess, anti-chess (he called it counter-chess then), where the board and the figures are the same, but the point of the game is not to win but to force the opponent to defeat you. So the point is, you need to force the opponent to capture your pieces (often in some very ingenious ways), and whoever ends up checkmated or with fewer pieces on the board is the winner. It was definitely interesting to play at times.

What does that have to do with TP The Return, or more aptly TP The Retcon :-) ? The Return can be thought to have such a "structure". Whereas in a show named Twin Peaks you'd spend some time in the the actual town, maybe show the iconic sign for more than a second at a 50 mph speed, have a lead character that is not a plant or pylon, have an adversary that actually knows what he wants and is not totally clueless and dumb, and have some stories and characters that actually lead somewhere, you can simply turn everything upside down and produce a work that makes no sense and does not solve anything, and goes contrary not to expectation but everything. That includes setting expectations yourself, as a director/screenwriter, forcing them onto the viewership and then casually leaving them dangling at a next turn. Your archenemy is dumb, the climax is an anti-climax, and the show goes on for another hour or so, and nothing has anything to do with anything else.

Basically, TR is chaotic compared to the ordered world of the original, and yet being chaotic, it does have sone logic or strange order of its own, if a lack of order can be called ordered.

If there even happens to be S4, maybe it would show us the reconciliation of the Return and the original, resulting in a final resolution. But that would be yet another expectation, wouldn't it? And we are not meant to have them...
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby yaxomoxay » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 am

boske wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:How dare you criticize the floor sweeping scene?!? I love it! :)

Alright, let's pick several more in its place... :-) What else was there? Candy vs The Fly, Dougie and the dandruff dilemma, and so on...

My dad had taught me to play chess at an early age. Not that I play it often anymore, and have not in a while. Now, a few years after he had showed me how to play, he said that one could play chess in different ways. There was this other chess, anti-chess (he called it counter-chess then), where the board and the figures are the same, but the point of the game is not to win but to force the opponent to defeat you. So the point is, you need to force the opponent to capture your pieces (often in some very ingenious ways), and whoever ends up checkmated or with fewer pieces on the board is the winner. It was definitely interesting to play at times.

What does that have to do with TP The Return, or more aptly TP The Retcon :-) ? The Return can be thought to have such a "structure". Whereas in a show named Twin Peaks you'd spend some time in the the actual town, maybe show the iconic sign for more than a second at a 50 mph speed, have a lead character that is not a plant or pylon, have an adversary that actually knows what he wants and is not totally clueless and dumb, and have some stories and characters that actually lead somewhere, you can simply turn everything upside down and produce a work that makes no sense and does not solve anything, and goes contrary not to expectation but everything. That includes setting expectations yourself, as a director/screenwriter, forcing them onto the viewership and then casually leaving them dangling at a next turn. Your archenemy is dumb, the climax is an anti-climax, and the show goes on for another hour or so, and nothing has anything to do with anything else.

Basically, TR is chaotic compared to the ordered world of the original, and yet being chaotic, it does have sone logic or strange order of its own, if a lack of order can be called ordered.

If there even happens to be S4, maybe it would show us the reconciliation of the Return and the original, resulting in a final resolution. But that would be yet another expectation, wouldn't it? And we are not meant to have them...


Although I disagree with your post - you know my position on TPTR - I just want to let you know that I truly enjoyed reading it. It’s all fair, if you ask me, and I give you points for mentioning chess (as the WOPR said “How about a nice game of chess?” 1. e4 ).

Only one note about Mr C. I don’t think he was dumb, at all. He prepared for 25 years, he set up several traps, but he was just set up by a bigger mystery and power than he could think of (kinda like Raider’s nazi and the ark). I think that ultimately he was as naive as the good Cooper, and that he lacked the ability to see the forest while he could see and perfectly analyze the tree.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Posts: 1893
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby Audrey Horne » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:46 am

No, Mr. C is not dumb. Like Windom Earle is not dumb. The situation from the writers and through line and execution is what winds up making it dumb.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
AnotherBlueRoseCase
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby AnotherBlueRoseCase » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 pm

boske wrote:TP The Return, or more aptly TP The Retcon :-) ?


See, you're forgetting about multiple dimensions 'n' stuff, and the mysteries of electricity and numerology, and the fact that The Final Dossier... well, yes, okay, The Final Dossier seems to confirm that Laura never really died, which I'll admit is a bit retconnish, and before it was published I berated anyone who suggested it might say as much then I went really quiet for a bit afterwards but if you squint your eyes hard enough and count to ten and smoke a zeppelin and watch a few times at four times the broadcast speed and remember that The Master is The Master, and ignore the carnival sounds inside one's head, plus don't forget Brecht's Epic Theatre, which I'm a huge fan of, by the way, barely a week went by when me and the other TR cognitive dissonance lads weren't down the front row in the local arts centre bombed out of our heads and grooving along to the old Brechtian alienation effect, long before there was any talk of a TP revival...

But yeah, check our posts here in the weeks leading up to May 2017 and you'll see the only thing we said we wanted more from this revival than lots and lots of terrible acting, minutes of floorsweeping and the like, Cooper's fate to be decided by utter randomness after a wait of a dozen episodes, the virtual disappearance of Badalamenti music, minimal use of the original cast, refusal of suspension of disbelief, obsessive self-tribute from The Master, The Master talking up his dong followed by reaction shots from women half his age, for the demon who repeatedly took the infant Laura to the woods for cumplay and sliced her privates and raped her for years before bludgeoning her to death to have his storyline’s climax not just played for bellylaughs but as pinball/pantomime farce...

Where was I? Where am I? What's happening?

Oh yes, the one thing we kept begging for more than the above treats was that Laura's body wrapped in plastic be shown fading from the screen just to sucker people into thinking it was a retcon. It was hilarious the way they all fell for it.

There are unquestionably carnival sounds inside my head. There are TR haters' names and addresses scrawled on the inner surface of my skull, including yours, Mr so-called 'boske'. There's a smell of decaying hamsters. Cognitive dissonance hell. Mother, please get me out of here.

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Jerry Horne for finally sorting out this thread. Mind you, the fact that this was necessary tells its own story. Imagine fans of Mad Men having to gather on a thread that hated it to get some decent discussion...
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
Mr. Jackpots
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby Mr. Jackpots » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm profoundly disappointed that there is still no news RE season 4.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Postby AnotherBlueRoseCase » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:12 am

Lynch on Trump, after a year and a half of the presidency: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."

No further comment necessary.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests