Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

asmahan
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by asmahan »

I am very very worried for Audrey... I was a big stickler for her being in the real world, but now I have honestly no idea. I hope her story doesn't get ended!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Shloogorgh wrote:Through the darkness of Big Ed's night
The Hurley pines for thee
One eats soup behind cold desk
Norma, Bear With Me
Wally's dharma is the road.
Frank Truman's dharma is Twin Peaks.

Big Ed's dharma is a lifetime of stoic suffering.
ThumbsUp wrote:Still think Jacoby's random reference to a big storm is odd though.
My ears perked up when he mentioned the big storm seven years ago. It did not feel like a meaningless observation. Seven is an important number to Lynch, and always auspicious. The giant's name is ???????, seven question marks. Maybe Twin Peaks is coming to the ending of a bad cycle, or even the ending of a good cycle (hey, things can always get worse).

Here's a Lynch piece, The Angel of Totality. Note the seven lights associated with this idea of divine totality:
david-lynch-angel-of-totality_2009.jpg
david-lynch-angel-of-totality_2009.jpg (79.9 KiB) Viewed 11248 times
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

LateReg wrote: there isn't actually a pattern..
Of course I know that... and episode 8 (to take the most obvious example) could NEVER have ended with going back to the roadhouse. BUT the ending with the band is the STANDARD ending and here it didn't warrant a deviation. The Ed scene was powerful indeed, yes. But the music was mythical. James deserved to be treated like standard performances at the roadhouse have been treated. And end credits have their biggest impact with music almost always, 99% of the time, this absolutely no exception.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

DirkG wrote:
Of course I know that... and episode 8 (to take the most obvious example) could NEVER have ended with going back to the roadhouse. BUT the ending with the band is the STANDARD ending and here it didn't warrant a deviation. The Ed scene was powerful indeed, yes. But the music was mythical. James deserved to be treated like standard performances at the roadhouse have been treated. And end credits have their biggest impact with music almost always, 99% of the time, this absolutely no exception.
I think in a way Lynch was honoring Marshall more, by saying "This isn't just background music - pay attention." Plus the Ed ending felt so perfectly poetic as a closing image.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
DirkG wrote:
I think in a way Lynch was honoring Marshall more, by saying "This isn't just background music - pay attention." Plus the Ed ending felt so perfectly poetic as a closing image.
Nothing 'background' about anything in season 3/the Return for me. I guess what conclusion you end up with is 100% based on what positions /prejudice you've got. Reason I'm disappointed is of course that I wanted what I found really powerful to be 100% spot on. If I were more or less indifferent and just found it 'good' or what people in general usually refer to as 'great' without really meaning it, I wouldn't give three f**ks.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's painful how good this fuckin' show is sometimes.

Lynch does so much with stillness and mood, like the long ending with Big Ed alone, looking at what's left of his life - just lighted pumps and loneliness and wistfully drinking Norma's RR2Go cups. I do think/hope they'll end up together, but they did so much with so little there. Also a nice bit of framing: Keeping him in the background during most of Norma and Walter's conversation. The insight into the town's economic struggles - and Norma's franchising the diner while refusing to compromise - was great stuff that reminded me of the old soap opera material from the original series. Grounded but generally linked to emotional realism, whether it was Ed and Norma's workaday lives or the craziness with Nadine. Speaking of: Great to see her talk with Jacoby. The hypnotic rhythms of the silent drape moving back and forth in the night with them talking was another classic Lynch choice. And the warm comfort of the diner scenes in general was great - it was nice seeing Bobby, Ed and Norma all together.

The whole arm wrestling setpiece with the Bad Dale and Derek Mears - the last Jason Voorhees! - was amazing. "Starting positions." I also liked that we got a little more direct insight into the ring, and what whoever "Jeffries" really is wants (BOB). The question is, does Richard already know the doppleganger? Or might this be their first meeting?

I don't know what's going on with Audrey but her scene was genuinely disturbing and nightmarish. Reminded me of pieces of Inland Empire. Also the first time Sherilyn Fenn's reminded me of Grace Zabriskie - that intense, teetering hysteria. Sarah's scene was long but I was never bored - it was deeply unsettling.

I expected them to pick up the thread with James and Renee (Jessica Szohr's character, seen with Shelly in the premiere) but I wasn't sure; I knew he has some sort of storyline coming. I loved the Just You & I reprise, because you know Lynch is 100% behind it. I don't know if that was a new recording or the original, which I know Lara Flynn Boyle and Sheryl Lee actually did the background vocals for. I think it was the original.

Everything with Dougie/Vegas was hilarious, amazing, touching, all of the above. The opening is an all-time Twin Peaks favorite - the conga line is right out of Fellini's films. Tom Sizemore was hysterical. And the stuff with Janey-E and the gym suit was moving - Naomi Watts does so much with just a look as she stares at their good fortune. The night reverie with the playground set and Swan Lake was really surreal and beautiful, obviously a deliberate reflection of the Black Lodge.

Not sure I can wait for Part 14, which has already leaked! And now I really want one more short season. There's just so much amazing stuff week to week, even the 'off' ones (which is how I would characterize last week, which was still fascinating and had many compelling scenes). This was very much an 'on'.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

430RichardandLinda wrote:
thedougpa wrote:Norma and Walter talking about Twin Peaks' influence on television was rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was laughing SO HARD once I realized Walter was on Northern Exposure. Lynch getting just a little meta with us. Made me kind of sad at the same time. Picked up on it right away. Amazing statement on the commercial viability of the original.
Yes, Walter was on Northern Exposure, but those of us who are really old remember him much better as David from Eight is Enough, aka, the greatest show of the '70s. Between him and Lauren Tewes, it's like my childhood all over again!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

In an earlier episode, we saw Cole massaging the shoulders of Diane. Now Coop does the same with Sinclair.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

I loved this part. The Conga line, Candie is hilarious. Audrey was devastating. Changed my mind on Audrey, I think she is physically in this world, but mentally no where near it. Janey E's reaction was perfect, I am starting to think something bad is going to happen to her.

Seriously, the fingerprints match an FBI agent who has disappeared and you throw the results in the bin. Surely Albert and Gordon re altered to that next week?

Lynch and Frost have to be playing with us. James in the Roadhouse, that was hilarious. Norma is full of surprises. Another week where the storyline seems out of order, this time with Bobby. Poor Ed, another one down on their luck. Love that things are picking up in Twin Peaks. I really thought that they were going to Jack Rabbits this part though.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Before tonight I was skeptical about this season being non-linear, or about the possibility that time is folding in on itself etc *insert variations on this theme*. But now.. hm.. now I think there IS something to that.

-No timeline matches up very well. This has been made quite clear on numerous occasions. At this point it's difficult for me to believe that it's accidental, or an editing choice based on thematic grouping. Possible. But seems to mean more than that. For example: Bobby mentioned that they found his father's stuff "today". Becky wondering where Stephen is [doesn't that seem like it should come before the scene where she shoots up the door?]

-Ed's reflection, off by a few seconds. I saw it during the episode but thought I caught a weird reflection in my living room. Now I see it on reddit. That cannot be an accident... surely(?!)

-And now the long list of people who are stuck repeating things: Sarah and her time loop, Jacoby/Nadine and their shovels, Norma and Ed still stuck in their little dance, Becky repeating Shelly's mistakes, and tonight James plays that song. Seems like the perfect choice for this episode.

-And Audrey.... what on earth is happening to Audrey? Now there's someone who's stuck. In her mind? In an institution? In a dream? The scene- with that strange old fashioned, cookie-cutter living room- reminded me of Rabbits. But more generally, I do think Lynch is partially playing out the connection between MD and Audrey:

1) So far, Audrey's scenes follow a really similar narrative logic to MD.
2) Has anyone noticed that we've got characters called: Diane, Betty, and Selwyn in this season?
3) Naomi Watts is also basically playing another version of Betty.

I don't think this is supposed to signal that TP and MD are in the same world. But I do think that thematic connection between Audrey and Betty is still alive in Lynch's mind.

And what about the notion of The Return? Could that be about Audrey, as much as about Coop? You'd think that of everyone, Audrey would have been the one most concerned about Coop's disappearance. Will the residents of Twin Peaks become "unstuck" when they return?
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

So, Sky Germany/Austria accidentally posted episode 14 instead of episode 13 (but called it part 13) and I didn't realise it until it was too late, so I finished watching it...hope I can avoid spoilers until I see part 13.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

So I'm guessing Diane didn't send the coordinates to Doppelcoop?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:Everything with Dougie/Vegas was hilarious, amazing, touching, all of the above. The opening is an all-time Twin Peaks favorite - the conga line is right out of Fellini's films. Tom Sizemore was hysterical.
There was an office conga line in a very memorable sequence in an episode of Mad Men, and since Lynch loved that show, and because he put one of the Mad Men office paintings in Dougie's office, I thought it might be a conscious or unconscious nod to that show's apparent influence on the Lucky 7 offices.

Tom Sizemore has been fantastic. Maybe now that he's cracked he'll be around a little longer, which would be great, because he's hilarious. I still laugh when I think of "You have an ENEMY....in Douglas Jones." :lol:
sewhite2000 wrote:Yes, Walter was on Northern Exposure, but those of us who are really old remember him much better as David from Eight is Enough, aka, the greatest show of the '70s. Between him and Lauren Tewes, it's like my childhood all over again!
Holy crap, that's why I recognized him! Thank you! I actually thought he looked really intimidating when I was a little kid.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Looks likely I'm going to have to eat a little crow, here. I was pretty vociferous on the Ep 12 thread that what we were seeing of Audrey was her real life in the real world. But after a second exceedingly strange, cryptic scene, I'm reconsidering. Probably the first time I've admitted to being wrong on here (if I thought so previously, I didn't say it out loud!), but this is all too weird, too symbolic, this indecision about staying or going certainly seems to parallel the idea of waking up or remaining asleep.

I would say now I would say it's about 70% likely it's a coma dream, 20% likely Audrey's in the real world but undergoing some kind of shock therapy, possibly in an institution, and only 10% this is her real life in the real world. You could have reversed those figures last week to reflect my feelings.

Who knows, maybe next week more revelations, and I'll have to reassess again!
TheMx

Post by TheMx »

Guy's - I think Sky austria/germany put up Part 14 by mistake!

I just noticed when I realised that the quote "What story is that, Charlie" wasn't in the episode. WTF!!

Edit: now 100% spoiler free.
Last edited by TheMx on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am 100% sure that we're not completely sure"