Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

I loved this episode.
"Dougie saw right through me" must be the biggest overstatement in the history of television

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this episode. I can see a lot of people liked it, and there were some great moments, but honestly, it's starting to lose some of its mojo for me. Hate to sound like I'm losing the faith - I just don't know where this is going anymore.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mallard wrote:
tresojos wrote:
twin-b wrote:
IMO, no need to stay up for it tonight. It was similar to last week's episode for me (which was my least favorite).
bye. not another one like ep 12. and so close to the ending :cry:
For a 2nd opinion, I hated episode 12, but really enjoyed this episode. Your mileage may vary, though, and personally I would wait and watch it when I was in a well rested state.
I second this.
I didn't like episode 12, I loved this one. And I mean, loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Jacoby mentioned a big storm in Twin Peaks seven years ago. Didn't the Fusco brothers say no record of Dougie Jones existed until seven years ago?
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this episode. I can see a lot of people liked it, and there were some great moments, but honestly, it's starting to lose some of its mojo for me. Hate to sound like I'm losing the faith - I just don't know where this is going anymore.
It's not about where it's going, but where it's already been. Or maybe where it goes, then goes back, and then goes there again later. Or maybe it's in a coma, or insane, or something else...I don't f'ing know.
Last edited by Mallard on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome...to the third...place.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

fluorescent light wrote:On Sarah Palmer's boxing loop. The interesting thing to me wasn't the repetition, but that there was a slight pause or blip in the last repeat that occurred without Sarah doing anything to the TV. An indication of some kind of electrical disturbance...?
There were also electricity sounds in the background... somethings definitely going on there.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

ThumbsUp wrote:Jacoby mentioned a big storm in Twin Peaks seven years ago. Didn't the Fusco brothers say no record of Dougie Jones existed until seven years ago?
Oh man, maybe! I thought it was 1997 though?
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this episode. I can see a lot of people liked it, and there were some great moments, but honestly, it's starting to lose some of its mojo for me. Hate to sound like I'm losing the faith - I just don't know where this is going anymore.
I remember feeling that way about "Dumbland." But this? We'll never see it's like again, so I'll take it for what it is. I don't need it to be the second coming, I just need it to be Lynch, which at the very least is interesting, and for me at least so far it is much more than that. Like all Lynch (for me) it is better upon rewatch. Except Straight Story = good from first to last.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Jacoby mentioned a big storm in Twin Peaks seven years ago. Didn't the Fusco brothers say no record of Dougie Jones existed until seven years ago?
Oh man, maybe! I thought it was 1997 though?
Oof, sorry, you're right, I just checked. Got my 7's mixed up. Still think Jacoby's random reference to a big storm is odd though.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

A lot to unpack as usual here. The second half felt like a critique of nostalgia in a weird way. Ed embittered about Norma's relationship with some executive who wants to change the RR -- Nadine and Jacoby reuniting, only for Jacoby to remind Nadine of how she really is ("the last time I saw you, you were on your knees"). The characters have this love affair with the past, but when they really interact with these old connections, it makes them feel sour, and reminds them of their own imperfections. This could be construed as a meta-commentary of Twin Peaks fans reactions to the new show, or maybe I am projecting my own feelings about nostalgia onto this episode.

I still loved the James performance though. Interesting how he is still doing things he did 25 years ago, and Sarah Palmer has gotten trapped in some sort of time loop.

I liked how the second half (taking place in Twin Peaks) was kicked off by Shelly offering her distraught daughter some RR pie and ice cream, and how the episode then offered up a lot of 'comfort foot' in the form of old characters (Ed, Audrey, Norma, James). Maybe nostalgia is good sometimes, but like any good thing, one can have too much of it. I feel like by the end of this episode, Ed is blue specifically because of nostalgia.

Was I the only one that thought the 'Western Montana' setting was going to yield something Madeline Ferguson related?
430RichardandLinda

Post by 430RichardandLinda »

Cappy wrote:A lot to unpack as usual here. The second half felt like a critique of nostalgia in a weird way. Ed embittered about Norma's relationship with some executive who wants to change the RR -- Nadine and Jacoby reuniting, only for Jacoby to remind Nadine of how she really is ("the last time I saw you, you were on your knees"). The characters have this love affair with the past, but when they really interact with these old connections, it makes them feel sour, and reminds them of their own imperfections. This could be construed as a meta-commentary of Twin Peaks fans reactions to the new show, or maybe I am projecting my own feelings about nostalgia onto this episode, but that is the feeling I got tonight.

I still loved the James performance though. Interesting how he is still doing things he did 25 years ago, and Sarah Palmer has gotten trapped in some sort of time loop.

I liked how the second half in Twin Peaks was kicked off by Shelly offering her distraught daughter some RR pie and ice cream, and how the episode then offered up a lot of 'comfort foot' in the form of old characters (Ed, Audrey, Norma, James). Maybe nostalgia is good sometimes, but like any good thing, one can have too much of it. I feel like by the end of this episode, Ed is blue specifically because of nostalgia.

Was I the only one that thought the 'Western Montana' setting was going to yield something Madeline Ferguson related?
I never realized Missoula, Montana is in the western part of the state. Crazy. We got a lot of reminders of Maddy this week, then.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

A very distressing thought hit me upon watching that last scene, which so expertly conveyed Ed's sadness. Didn't the deputy mention to Bobby in Part 11 that he heard a gun shot at the gas farm? What if it was self inflicted? That scene appeared to occur after this one in the warped time line ("We found something my father left..."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I was fighting between having the biggest grin and my chin on the flow when I heard the first few notes of Hurley's song. it was like I got Rick rolled.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Cappy wrote:Was I the only one that thought the 'Western Montana' setting was going to yield something Madeline Ferguson related?
Oh, good call. I know Lynch is actually from Missoula, and always thought making it Maddy's hometown was a little nod to that, and maybe this is, too. But otherwise, yeah, random place to set the bad guys' den.

Speaking of Maddy, was Ray's dead body teleported to the Black Lodge, or did the ring/murder by Evil Coop create a doppelganger to exist in the Lodge?
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

Sidgwick wrote:A very distressing thought hit me upon watching that last scene, which so expertly conveyed Ed's sadness. Didn't the deputy mention to Bobby in Part 11 that he heard a gun shot at the gas farm? What if it was self inflicted? That scene appeared to occur after this one in the warped time line ("We found something my father left..."
The deputy was at Big Ed's when he heard the kid shooting at the RR.