Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by Andromedeaux »

The slow episodes remind me of spacey interlude tracks on an album. E.g., Flying Lotus' You're Dead has many tracks that are empty, short and almost seem incomplete. It took me a while to process and now it's one of my favorite projects of all time. I think the Return has a similar cadence, (ack. we have 1/3 remaining).

If the Return is charting new waters for TV again in 2017, maybe it has to do with pacing and expectations. So many shows feel the need to build upon the previous episode. We are all used to that crescendo leading to the finale of the season. The Return is going somewhere but has no regard for when or how we expect it to get there. I'll give it credit for that despite the lows.
Last edited by Andromedeaux on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Well more questions than answers as usual.

Blue Rose history, meaning, and agents involved gave bit of background answering 1 question. It appears others loosely connected like Dianne or utilized as in Lil's case in FWWM or lady of the night in this episode (if anyone can decode this getting meaningful message from context given in FWWM please share). Other question answered (or confirmed) is that Twin Peaks locations hasn't been retconned in return series as coordinates on librarian's arm point there (now just need say if Trailer Park has moved?).

Gotta say though, don't think anyone wasn't frustrated with Audrey scene. We wait this long expected something with more resonance (she recovering somewhere or has had medical issues since being in coma perhaps) rather than a flippant sort of non-sequiter scene we got. Future episodes may put this better in context but for now this scene didn't sit well with me and can understand people's frustration on this. With that being said, who isn't going to eventually watch rest of series even if this episode doesn't spur them to renew ShowTime subscription?

Also, I think we'll begin to see the route Dale Cooper returns at the very end of the series unfortunately as some predicted.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Hockey Mask wrote:
thedougpa wrote:We may learn more about Charlie, Billy, Chuck, Tina, Paul, Angela, Clark, Mary, Abbie, Natalie, and Trick.
Maybe it is Lynch's 21st century take on Invitation to Love.
Yeah, at one point I thought the twist in the scene will be that they are rehearsing for a role.
But sadly it wasn't even that.

I understood the joke but it just didn't work. It would've worked if the things they talked about would've been interesting. We should've been as interested as Audrey to hear what was been told on the phone. But there was zero interest. The "anti-punchline" would've worked with better writing (and acting). But now it fell completely flat.
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

djsunyc wrote:btw, that was some really bad overacting by audrey in that scene.
I don't know, dude. You ever been married? The huffing, the puffing, the impatience, the GET. YOUR. JACKET. ASSHOLE. It happens and I'm guilty of being theatrical. I felt the way we were air-dropped into this banal stalemate was sort of damning. Like we'd built Audrey up to be this Nancy Drew supergirl that was gonna save the world...but shit happens that we don't understand and changes us into people we maybe don't recognize. Not saying it was a pleasant reintroduction to Audrey but it was uncomfortable to watch the casual emasculation/patronizing going on between those two. Lots of broken dreams.

I haven't commented for awhile, honestly after part 8 I've grown tired of the weekly countdown and build-up and yes, disappointment. It's too much. The Return is very meta, but I just want more Sarah and Laura and focused storytelling. I appreciate that there is a plot, whole and waiting, but it's suspended in this heavy framework of meta-commentary about how impatient we all are and how disappointing life can be.

I guess you could say I'm confused and overwrought. I loved parts of it and other parts are grating on me.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Rami Airola wrote:
Esselgee wrote: Also, do we really need to see the warden getting killed? Is it really important for the story going forward?
You are asking this in an episode where we saw a short scene of Sonny Jim throwing a baseball on Dougie's head and that's it.
Well, the Dougie scene was necessary to give Kyle his credit at the end of the episode obviously.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Strange show this. It's meant to be a long movie, not episodic television, yet there is definitely some episodic structure or theme. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Last edited by The Gazebo on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Ashok wrote:
Snailhead wrote:I am shocked at the reaction on here to "cole's girl" - I ADORED that scene. That was the funniest scene of the new series for me.
I loved that scene too. It was so dreamy.
I thought it was funny, though I felt a bit uncomfortable watching it. I suppose I wouldn't be bothered by it if I were 100% confident that we're meant to see it as strange and arguably inappropriate, especially with Lynch himself playing Cole. For whatever reason, Lynch doesn't seem like the kind of artist for whom making fun of himself would come naturally - not that I find him arrogant or egotistical, just that it seems like it wouldn't be his thing.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Major Briggs wrote:Must be real tough to be a member of the "Where's Audrey" legion now, hahahaha
Nope. I'm a huge Audrey fan and I loved it. I prefer Charlie over Titanic guy tbh. The only thing that outright disappointed me (ok some of the Albert / Cole stuff could have been snappier too but it gets the pass) in this episode was the repeat of the dr. Amp footage. It felt utterly unnecessary but I understand it's all intentional yada yada, and I have to find out what it all boils down to in the end etc etc. But what I mean is I still didn't find that it added any quality to the story so far.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

I love Carl. Surprisingly, I also like Frank, and don't miss Harry. That whole exchange was interesting. I kept waiting for him to hand over the key, and not as a token for Harry either. Why didn't Ben mention Richard assaulting and robbing Sylvia?

Finally Jerry is out the woods.

Blink and you miss Coop. I guess that was setting the scene of bonding between him and Sonny Jim.

Albert with Gordon and his friend in the hotel room, was hilarious. Funniest scene for me so far. I thought Albert's head was going to explode, she was taking that long.

I still can't work Diane out. She was a limited wardrobe, we have seen those clothes before.

My biggest gasp of the night was seeing the dead grass outside the Palmer House (spoiler thread). :lol: Something is in that Palmer House, what I don't know but something is there. Sarah was amazing but terribly sad.

I thought the maniac on the road was Richard. But was the car coming into town? Maybe Mr C?

Up until Audrey it was great. Glad to see her finally, but that scene and those after where baffling. I think that will be explained soon, as if I recall Sherilynn was happy with her role in the end. Who the hell are all these people we heard about or saw from that point?
Last edited by Cooperscoffeecup on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

AgentEcho wrote:Oh my Lynch is having so much fun screwing with people's expectations. All this build up to Audrey, with the earlier scenes with Frank and Ben almost tantalizingly dancing around naming Richard's mother, not to mention all the buildup for leaving her off the screen, then she abruptly appears in a surely intentionally jarring smash cut mid pan. We learn she's in a loveless marriage to a dwarf and is having an affair with a missing man named Billy, and there's a long extended conversation where a bunch of names were dropped, none of which were Richard, while Audrey impatiently waits for some information she never receives. If you place Audrey in the role of the audience impatient with all of this it is truly comedy gold.
I don't think there was anything else to this scene but trying to make a joke by giving a long supposedly interesting story and then hearing someone learn the resolution on the phone and then not saying what was said. That in theory is absolutely hilarious but it really needs the things said to be interesting. All they talked about was really boring and none of it was gripping in any way. And the joke to work it should've been as interesting to the viewer as it seemed to be for Audrey.

This scene was sadly just written and directed poorly.
manalicream
Roadhouse Member

Post by manalicream »

Every scene was designed to infuriate. This was a masterful trolling but I feel short changed. Extremely disappointing episode especially at 4am!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Okay, so the hype may have been exaggerated but overall I really liked this episode, especially the first half.

Chrysta Bell's acting wasn't all that bad, probably relatively so. I was actually quite happy with her performance. She seemed less robotic.
Then, Diane stepping out of the drapes before saying this episode's quote; a very deliberate hint there I guess.
Very glad we got some very creepy Sarah stuff, which I think she as an actress and character excels at. Loved the FWWM song during the supermarket scene. ''men are coming''? Is she talking about the many characters who will be heading towards Twin Peaks following the coordinates or rather a bunch of dirty bearded men? The fan was good. Laura's lost in woods (?) theme playing is always a pleaser.
I felt some The Straight Story vibes during that scene with Rodd and that apparently overly kind fella with the cane. Probably only because it's slightly touching stuff about kindness involving older men, but very pleasing for me (TSS fan) nonetheless.
Only a few seconds of Coop, apathic as ever. I think they're holding out on us with that storyline for now because there will be some serious developments soon. I'm glad they didn't give us more silly zombie Dougie stuff as a fill up.
Did Ben say Richard shouldn't have had a father or did I understand wrong? Very nice to hear him talking about the wonderful motorbike his father gave him; typical warm Twin Peaks.
Ashok wrote:
Snailhead wrote:I am shocked at the reaction on here to "cole's girl" - I ADORED that scene. That was the funniest scene of the new series for me.
Agreed, very nice. Very Peaksie stuff! She reminded me strongly of Audrey's mannerism back in the day. I was surprised to see Albert hold it together though. Also, I too am now very worried about him and his fate.

Was anything new added by that Jacoby/Nadine scene? Getting repetetive.....

The Audrey scene? I hate to admit this, but I didn't understand that situation at all. Wtf happened to John Justice Wheeler in South America.
Last edited by Soolsma on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

I actually liked the Dougie scene and thought it was funny perhaps *because* of the predictability. As soon as I saw that they were wearing baseball gloves I thought to myself, "This isn't going to go well."
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

The Gazebo wrote:Strange show this. It's meant to be a long movie, not episodic television, yet there is definitely some episodic structure or theme. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
"sometimes it doesnt"

i just want my coop vs bad coop epic storyline. 2017 sucks. maybe trump is the doppelganger
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Ashok wrote:
I thought it was funny, though I felt a bit uncomfortable watching it. I suppose I wouldn't be bothered by it if I were 100% confident that we're meant to see it as strange and arguably inappropriate, especially with Lynch himself playing Cole. For whatever reason, Lynch doesn't seem like the kind of artist for whom making fun of himself would come naturally - not that I find him arrogant or egotistical, just that it seems like it wouldn't be his thing.
I both liked the scene and, like Albert, was impatient to get the story moving again. The actress did a wonderful job, and Cole's goofy fascination was amusing.

Albert becoming utterly and completely fed up with Cole's antics to the point of complete and utter stoicism was hilarious.