Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 12 - Let's rock (SPOILERS)

Post by BGate »

Alright, they HAD to have filmed something with Ontkean, right? Not only do the keep bringing him up but now there's a specific narrative purpose for Frank to go visit him!

I know, still wishful thinking.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

ryanmj1993 wrote:I really don't see how this show is gonna rap up I'm 6 more parts. Especially at the rate it's moving. There are way to many storylines that are just kinda sitting there. I'm gonna be really disappointed if we have a bunch of in answered questions. Some questions left unanswered is fine because it's Lynch lol. I really want to imagine we're gonna see old Coop back in action but I think that's not gonna happen. I can't believe it's almost over.
Remember that the original run was pegged at just 9 episodes. I'm sort of expecting things to start accelerating in the next couple of episodes (the 10/1 and 10/2 dates are rapidly approaching).
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

thedougpa wrote:
rugerblackhawk357 wrote:this will be the last episode i watch. because my showtime subscription ran out. audrey is now married to the dwarf from kill bill vol 2. dougie is still dougie. and gordon cole is now fond of ladies of the night. going to bed. and stopped watching this show. bye everyone
Alright everyone, here's his [reply] that he wants, so no one else needs to feed the troll.

my apologies. just wanted some kind of resolution and expansion
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

"Next stop, Wendy's"= Best line of TPTR
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I don't mind awkward silences and painfully long conversations that leave you our of the loop as a way of disorienting the viewer, but it can be overdone to the point where your mind just starts rejecting what's in front of it.

It was a bit much tonight.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

BGate wrote:Alright, they HAD to have filmed something with Ontkean, right? Not only do the keep bringing him up but now there's a specific narrative purpose for Frank to go visit him!

I know, still wishful thinking.
I was thinking while watching tonight that it would have been neat to call Harry's brother "Dan", as he was in the original Northwest Passage script (as Dan Steadman).
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

BlueRose69 wrote:"Next stop, Wendy's"= Best line of TPTR
Very true.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

djsunyc wrote:i have a fear that at least 25% of the scenes we've been given this series are complete throwaway scenes that will have no impact on anything. this roadhouse scene and the one with the two drugged out girls are completely pointless and useless.
So you consider anything that is not (overtly) related to the overall story of a film/show or drives the narrative to be pointless and useless? You're missing out on a lot of great stuff, man.
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

blue_tomorrows wrote:Guess my take is pretty much the same...most of the first half was pretty riveting (esp. the Sarah Palmer stuff) and the rest just spiraled into deliberate obscurity.

I took some of this as "Lynch f***ing with the audience" as well. My question is, isn't it getting a little late in the game for that excuse to be popping up so much? Messing with the audience might be fun, but it hardly makes for good and satisfying art. I've enjoyed most of this so far, but somewhere in the back of my mind the warning bells are sounding that we might already know as much as we're ever going to know about any of these storylines.
I was especially frustrated with the Jacoby/Nadine scene. I'm 99% sure that whole intro Jacoby did (turning on the lamp, etc.) was straight up reused as-is from the first episode he first appeared in.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

mujubuju wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
djsunyc wrote:the roadhouse scene was 100% useless.
Honestly I feel like it thematically tied into the episode a bit. I haven't really run through it again to comb for details though. But I also believe that maybe some of these "useless" scenes that have been sprinkled through will have a later payoff. Are they future or are they past?
The guy that ran Trick off the road probably = bad Coop? A way of signifying he's made it to TP?
My first thought was Richard. We know how dangerous he is behind the wheel.
Last edited by BGate on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

Hester Prynne wrote:I actually liked this episode - not my favorite, but there was some great stuff. . .

Audrey's appearance caught me totally off guard! Sherilyn looks AMAZING! What is the contract they had? Did something happen to her as a result of the coma? Is Charlie the same guy in the photo with Mr. C in front of the NY box? And why doesn't Charlie have a last name in the credits?

And what the hell is in Sarah Palmer's kitchen ?! :shock:
I think the stuff with Audrey, while not what everyone expected, was kind of intriguing. We're obviously supposed to be puzzled by the situation as it gets revealed slowly. I would also guess that whatever marriage "contract" they have (and clearly don't seem to want, and perhaps didn't actually choose) has something to do with Audrey's coma way back when. Some ultra-rich benefactor stepping in to pay bills and keep her on life-support? That would be my guess.

If anything thought, I think this episode actually makes it MORE likely that Audrey is Richard's mother. Introducing her in an episode that is about people trying to track down Richard kind of points to that.

AND the comment about Richard having no father -- this tips the scales towards DoppelCoop maybe being the missing papa.... Was really hoping it wouldn't go that way.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

rugerblackhawk357 wrote:
thedougpa wrote:
rugerblackhawk357 wrote:this will be the last episode i watch. because my showtime subscription ran out. audrey is now married to the dwarf from kill bill vol 2. dougie is still dougie. and gordon cole is now fond of ladies of the night. going to bed. and stopped watching this show. bye everyone
Alright everyone, here's his [reply] that he wants, so no one else needs to feed the troll.

my apologies. just wanted some kind of resolution and expansion
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That does suck, and I do somewhat understand when you're coming from, but I'm confident it will pay off in the end. Hope you stick it!
raltenbach
Roadhouse Member

Post by raltenbach »

I really loved the glacial pacing of this episode and how certain scenes not only tried the audience's patience, but the patience of the characters within the scene (Albert waiting on the French woman, Audrey waiting on her husband). Add to this the fact that the only moments that advance the plot points we've been following closely are very brief and also self aware in their brevity (The killing of Warden Murphy in particular with the "bang bang next stop Wendy's" and the single shot of Cooper getting hit by a baseball). I do enjoy it when Lynch/Frost toy with the audience like that.

With that in mind, I do think tat in retrospect this will prove to be a very important episode. A lot of things happening in the background, or even unseen/unheard.

I think the woman that Audrey had her husband call is the mother of the kid that Richard killed, hence her husband's silence

I'm pretty sure the Sarah meltdown will have a lot of significance going forward, and the use of the Philip Jefferies music in that scene made it feel even more powerful.

The way Sarah was acting when Hawk paid his visit lead me to two conclusions:

1. BOB is currently inhabiting Sarah.

2. The kid from the store is the first new victim (that was him in the kitchen, likely near death)

Diane knows WAY more than either Cole or Albert (LAS VEGAS?) and I now think she's been communicating with Jefferies this whole time.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

garethw wrote:
ryanmj1993 wrote:I really don't see how this show is gonna rap up I'm 6 more parts. Especially at the rate it's moving. There are way to many storylines that are just kinda sitting there. I'm gonna be really disappointed if we have a bunch of in answered questions. Some questions left unanswered is fine because it's Lynch lol. I really want to imagine we're gonna see old Coop back in action but I think that's not gonna happen. I can't believe it's almost over.
Remember that the original run was pegged at just 9 episodes. I'm sort of expecting things to start accelerating in the next couple of episodes (the 10/1 and 10/2 dates are rapidly approaching).
Even in Season 2... the show REALLY ramped up in the last batch of episodes. The whole narrative went into hyperdrive with 'Miss Twin Peaks' and 'Beyond Life and Death'.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

wAtChLaR wrote:well that's going to be an embarrassing press day tomorrow for Sherilyn Fenn....shoulda let her rest in peace in bank explosion

disaster
Maybe this why she was so pissed, when she read the script for this scene?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly