Make your wishes for the remainder of The Return! (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Make your wishes for the remainder of The Return! (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

Here a thread were one can talk about their hopes and wishes for what's left of The Return. Now, I try to set little expectations for myself but it's been impossible not to dream.

Here are some of mine:

I'd very much like some heartwarming moments. More love for ordinary things, like Pie or Coffee, beautiful trees and good companionship. Hell, I feel up for soapy elements which the originals had an overabundance of. If I'm right and James was indeed looking at Shelly instead of that woman besides her, I hope some time will be spent on a romance between those two. James has always been cool and I'd sure like to find out how cool he still is.

Some sheer horror would be welcome. The promised poo that would flow has not been 100% delivered... yet! Admitted, the woodsmen and the convenience store scene was pretty dang scary and so was the experiment coming out of the box. Unsettling as those were, I feel that Lynch and Frost could very well have some way scarier stuff in (convenience) store for us. Eg. parts of FWWM can still actually make me feel a bit uncomfortable walking in dark hallways afterwards. Nothing besides Twin Peaks' best horror moments have ever delivered on that since I watched my first horror movies when I was twelve.

More depth and time spent on Candie! I've been a 100% Amy Shiels fanboy since she appeared in the BTS teaser and since last episode I'm hyped up for more!

Oh, and all the best to all my fellow forum members.
Last edited by Soolsma on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Re: Make your wishes for the remainder of The Return! (SPOILERS)

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

I've fallen in love with Naomi Watts as Janey-E and hope Lynch and Frost see her through safely to Part 18. IMO she's one of the miracles of The Return.

And since we're talking wishes, I still have one that we see Bowie.

And of course more Mike, more Zone/Lodge, and Sheryl Lee.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Nice idea for a thread.

My wish is that whatever epic showdown we're in for, it won't be a purely supernatural event/end of the world scenario which smells like a poorly planned sci-fi movie with ad-hoc explanations. Surrealism - yes, please. Overcomplicated workings of the mythology, no thanks.

Oh yeah, a touch of emotional warmth and some flow of poo would be great.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I'm a simple soul with simple needs, I just want Albert wearing his shades in at least one scene. We got trenchcoat Albert, creatively swearing Albert, happy Albert, relaxed Albert, napping Albert, faking-sleep-so-his-boss-won't-talk-to-him Albert, appreciated Albert, so I can't really complain. And Tammy inherited the spirit of his old Shades Squad and can be occasionally seen wearing them, but what about the man himself!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

I'd like the proportion of new mysteries opened :: earlier ones resolved to go into a reverse- or inverse, i.e. let's get some answers before setting off a bunch more/ additional curious subplots and extraneous characters. Anyone keeping count of the % of the 200 or so cast members already shown screen time?

Here's hoping that, in addition to the larger plot developments, we get some follow-up on:

- The "farmer" whom Andy was to meet but he told Andy "You have to leave NOW", his fate is learned. And what was going on with that ominous door!

- Buella and Otis and clan, not seen since the very beginning

- What were the people Hastings says were asking over & over "Who's your wife"? Have we got more to learn about Phyllis, such as her relationship w/ EvilCoop?

- What's the deal with Beverly's husband in the wheelchair? Will we meet "Linda" who just "got a new improved wheelchair"??

- Is there any purpose for Doris Truman apart from grieving their deceased son and aggrieving her husband?

- The identity and fate of the bug-swallowing young girl from Part 8

- The identity and fate of "Mr. Strawberry"

- "ONE-ONE-NINE!!!!"
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Three things:

1) Harry S. Truman.

2) Windom Earle.

3) Annie Blackburn.

Any capacity, shape or form would do, just as long as they're acknowledged. Well, the first one already was, but I'm hoping we'll get to see him as well, and the third one was also, but not nearly enough. Whereas this new series' stance on Earle's been just one big question mark so far, and I don't like that at all - not as long as a possibility of a retcon lingers...
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Someone talks about Judy
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

Maybe my biggest wish of all is that we are left with mystery. I never expected we wouldn't be, until episode 9 and Hasting's confession. IMO that was too much information and it killed my interest in Buckhorn.

It's how "I'm not gonna talk about Judy" gives us mystery, and "Here's who Judy is and what she says" would have given us mere information. Where Twin Peaks is concerned I'll always prefer mystery over information.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

I don't *want* Diane to be compromised... but Cole's vision of Laura as he opened the door...

I REALLY don't want Albert to be compromised. I want Miguel Ferrer's last major role to end with him getting his happy ending. The foundation is love, and I love Agent Rosenfield.

I want Dale Cooper, and Janey-E & Sonny Jim Jones to have a happy ending. They might not end up together as a family, they might not all even survive on this plane of existence. After all, Laura had a happy ending in FWWM. I want them to, at the very least, meet their angels.

Speaking of Cooper - I want to see how 25 years in the Lodge and several days living Dougie Jones' life effects a man. I want to see this new synthesis make sense; not as the Coop we met in 1990, we can't ever again be who we *were* - but as this new synthesis who can help to restore balance to Twin Peaks.

We've known all along that Laura is the One. I want Hawk to understand what Margaret meant.

I want Bobby to get a chance to say goodbye to the one person who always believed in him, who just so happens to be one of my top-10 fictional characters of all time.

So far, I think TPTR is in a position to end up as the greatest TV show of all time. My greatest wish is that the last 8 hours fulfill that promise. So far, it has exceeded every expectation I had going in - but now it's setting its own expectations. Let's rock.
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

:!:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:
Shloogorgh wrote:Someone talks about Judy
Hang in there.
The cow tells no tall tales...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Tremonds would be nice, some owls too.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

- For Laura Palmer not to be reframed as some sort of cosmic saviour, or that her soul was sent to earth. I’d be happy if it was left ambiguous enough for people to still read it that way if it works for them, but I’m hoping that there’s more to come that enriches alternative interpretations of the Laura orb and Laura being ‘The One’.

- A finale that is to TP:TR what Episode 29 was to the original show.

- A recast Philip Jefferies in the flesh. I feel like anything else would be a missed opportunity, there’s such potential in that character. I know some people have said “you can’t recast Bowie”, but I think the opposite. If anyone can be recast, it’s Bowie. He’s not iconic as Philip Jefferies, he’s iconic as David Bowie. They made it work in FWWM, but I’d have no problem whatsoever accepting another actor here.

- I hope I’m right that the ‘Cooper raped a comatose Audrey’ idea is just one of those weird audience theories that gains traction. While I now think it looks extremely likely that he’s Audrey’s son, I don’t think we were ever meant to infer from Doc Hayward’s scene that this is it played out that way. It seems far more reasonable to assume he was there for the ring, and/or to try and kill Annie, who could expose him as a doppelganger. But that said, maybe it’s just because I don’t want it to be true- not in a “you can’t do that to Audrey!” way, but just because it would feel like an extremely clumsy way to force a family connection that isn’t necessary.

- I’d hope the events and images in episode 8 are not overexplained

- For my concerns voiced in the depressingly ‘quarantined’ gender thread to be quelled by future development and purpose of female characters

- Hastings to be revealed as a manipulated pawn, a babe in the woods. I’d be delighted for the Heinrich Viegel on the blog to be revealed as the doppelganger’s scientist.

- More Sarah Palmer

- More Carl Rodd

- Annie. She doesn’t have to be in it. The thread dedicated to her is home to some of the more outlandish theories I’ve read, but I do think some additional resolution to her story is needed, even it’s just second or third hand exposition in a single scene.

- No forced plotlines for old characters. Going from what we’ve seen so far, I don’t think this will happen.

- Agree with the OP. Bring on the abstract horror!
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

-Nadine gets to do some stuff, anything really, she's precious
-Jumping man jumping
-Sheryl Lee as a new character a la Maddy
-Reuse of some of the FWWM soundtrack, Moving Through Time perhaps
Idk what else I could possibly want... don't want to get too greedy with an already great show.