Discussion of the "Titles" (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Discussion of the "Titles" (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

With an extra week of downtime, thought it might be fun to reflect on the "subtitles" L/F have given each Part. These have become an essential piece of the viewing experience, and really the only true "spoiler" we're officially given for each Part. Do people have favorites/least favorites?

Aired Parts:
Part 1: "My log has a message for you" (spoken by Margaret)
Part 2: "The stars turn and a time presents itself" (spoken by Margaret)
Part 3: "Call for help" (spoken by Jade, repeated by DougieCoop)
Part 4: "...brings back some memories" (spoken by Bobby)
Part 5: "Case files" (spoken by Bushnell Mullins, repeated by DougieCoop)
Part 6: "Don't die" (spoken by Mike)
Part 7: "There's a body all right" (spoken by Det. Dave Macklay)
Part 8: "Gotta light?" (Spoken by Woodsman)

Upcoming Parts:
Part 9: "This is the chair"
Part 10: "Laura is the one"
Part 11: "There's fire where you are going"
Part 12: "Let's rock"

For me, "Gotta light?" was by far the best. Lynchian dark humor at its finest. "Don't die" was probably my least favorite...not much of a payoff.

The upcoming ones are intriguing. As I've noted elsewhere, "Laura Is the One" echoes James dialogue from the Pilot, and even more directly, the Log Lady Intro from the Pilot. My guess is that "Let's rock!" will be the Part where Cooper regains enough consciousness to become a proactive agent of change in the narrative again.......but knowing Lynch, "Let's rock!" could also signify a full hour dedicated to showcasing the Roadhouse's summer concert series setlist, and I don't think any of us would be too surprised at this point!

I'm probably alone in this, but I really dislike "There's fire where you are going." Of course, context is everything, so we'll see....but my first thought upon reading that title was Al Strobel speaking the line at the start of a cheesy "Pirates of the Caribbean"-style TP theme park ride.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Re: Discussion of the "Titles"

Post by Shloogorgh »

I like how the pairings almost sort of compliment each other.

My log has a message for you: The stars turn and a time presents itself

[a] Call for help brings back some memories

Case files don't die.

There's a body all right. Gotta light?

This is the chair. Laura is the one.

There's fire where you're going. Let's rock.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

It might make the thread more meaningful if the OP actually posted the previous and announced future titles.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BigEd wrote:It might make the thread more meaningful if the OP actually posted the previous and announced future titles.
Initial post edited to do so! Good thought.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:My guess is that "Let's rock!" will be the Part where Cooper regains enough consciousness to become a proactive agent of change in the narrative again.......but knowing Lynch, "Let's rock!" could also signify a full hour dedicated to showcasing the Roadhouse's summer concert series setlist, and I don't think any of us would be too surprised at this point!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

One giant wasted opportunity. They had "he moves like a cobra" for pt7, "fuck Gene Kelly you motherfucker" for pt6, Wally's entire monologue in pt4, and didn't use them? Inconceivable! Tsk, tsk.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

I kinda wish they hadn't dealt with synopses this way. People persist in thinking of them as titles, and I love the fact that no episode of the original run and no part of The Return has had a title--this is very deliberate on the part of Lynch/Frost.

Clearly they were asked to come up with synopses and they didn't want to give anything away, so they decided to pick an intriguing but not-too-revealing line of dialogue. It's an interesting approach, but I kind of hate that, involuntarily, there is now a small part of my brain each week waiting for the line to happen and then, when it does come, thinking, "Oh, so that's the context." It's ever so slightly distracting.

I think it would have been awesome if the synopses were something like, "Hour 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return." Just give us nothing.

No big deal, though, in the grand scheme of things. I just hate the idea of these catching on as titles, like the stupid German titles for the original series. It's a pet peeve. I don't really know why I care so much.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I love those quote-titles. It's obvious that L&F don't want to give actual titles that provide context, since this is one movie, but I'm glad they went with those cryptic descriptions.

The 10-12 stretch is very intriguing. I don't see how such specific titles could be deceiving. "Laura is the One" is amazing because it summarizes what this series is fundamentally about. It's all about Laura.

"There's fire where you are going" is something that I can see Margaret saying to Hawk. I hope I'm right because it'd be lovely to see Catherine one more time.

It'd be hilarious if The Evolution of the Arm says "Let's rock" in Part 12. :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Panapaok wrote:It'd be hilarious if The Evolution of the Arm says "Let's rock" in Part 12. :lol:
Smiling all day now. Thanks!
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I'm guessing some minor characters will figure out something and get moving, and say, "Let's rock."

For example, the police in Buckhorn figure out an inspiring piece of evidence and need to get out of the office and revisit the morgue. "Let's rock."

I hope I'm wrong. I'd be more than happy to have the tree say it! Imagine: Dougie Coop on the verge of finally becoming Coop. AlmostCoop in a car ready to travel to Twin Peaks. The little tree appears planted in a hole in the passenger seat and says, "Let's rock!" Nah...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I'm pretty confident "Let's rock" will have something to do with the Arm/the Lodges. While several "titles" have had playfully unpredictable contexts, there's been nothing on the level of repurposing a line from the original show to deliberately screw with expectations. For most comparable comparison, the "log" one was straightforward. Of course, the context can still be wildly unpredictable (see Chet Desmond's car in FWWM).

I don't find myself waiting for the phrase to come up each week...I get so swept up in the show, I completely forget. However, when it does pop up, I get a grin.

And I agree that they're not titles but more like the subtitle/subheading that might appear in a book under the main chapter heading, which it why I put "titles" in quotation marks. It just seems like an easy way to refer to them. The terminology of this whole show's stucture is so unwieldy. :lol: I do like them a heck of a lot more than the German titles tho', and therefore would object a lot less to people using them as straight-up titles. (Which, unless I missed it, no one seems to be doing other than the thread titles for the Parts).
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Discussion of the "Titles"

Post by Panapaok »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don't find myself waiting for the phrase to come up each week...I get so swept up in the show, I completely forget. However, when it does pop up, I get a grin.
Exactly. As soon as the opening credits begin, I pretty much forget everything and I delve into the world of the show. But I love how I realize that those lines will be said just a few seconds before they actually pop up. (For example: "Off the body", "There's a body?", "There's a body, alright.")
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

For "There's fire where you are going"

my bet is on the log lady.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

title for part 13 is up on Showtime's website: "What story is that, Charlie?"

episode doesn't have its own page yet but it can be seen on the schedule
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

laughingpinecone wrote:One giant wasted opportunity. They had "he moves like a cobra" for pt7, "fuck Gene Kelly you motherfucker" for pt6, Wally's entire monologue in pt4, and didn't use them? Inconceivable! Tsk, tsk.
pt6 :lol: That would have been great!