NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by eyeboogers »

Interesting and highly accurate thoughts Ruddager. Does anyone have any ideas how to get US Showtime viewers to give the show a chance? It seems that the problem is not so much that they tuned in and didn't like what they saw, but rather that they didn't tune in in the first place. The shows ratings share has been ticking upwards in recent weeks, if that trend continues that is the kind of things that might convince Showtime that there is potential in the brand.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

eyeboogers wrote:Interesting and highly accurate thoughts Ruddager. Does anyone have any ideas how to get US Showtime viewers to give the show a chance? It seems that the problem is not so much that they tuned in and didn't like what they saw, but rather that they didn't tune in in the first place. The shows ratings share has been ticking upwards in recent weeks, if that trend continues that is the kind of things that might convince Showtime that there is potential in the brand.
Haha, if I knew the answer to that question, Showtime should be paying me.

Sometimes word-of-mouth is just a really fickle thing. Social media though apparently really did help during the Lynch/Showtime fall out, so, perhaps if some of these fan-sites make a concerted effort to really emphasize a social media 'thunderclap' style thing on a specific air date, it might make a noticeable difference in numbers. Who knows though!
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

We are currently at viewership ratings panic and denial phase of the thread, time until phase is over: no ETA
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:We are currently at viewership ratings panic and denial phase of the thread, time until phase is over: no ETA
It's just making conversation, and some people find these metrics interesting. Nobody's panicking, it seems everyone is pretty rationally discussing how the viewing figures look, and whether it's positive or negative for more Lynch or not. Nothing wrong with that, you don't have to comment if you aren't interested. But, at this point it's about all that's left to talk about in a non-spoiler thread about the show. If you'd like I'll make a separate thread for people to talk about it so that you don't even have to look at the numbers.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

We don't really have any control here on the ratings, so the only way we can show our support to Showtime is to communicate via forms like petitions. That will at least show them that The Return still has the support of a dedicated audience.

And no, I don't think it's too early to sign a petition. It's never too early to express support for the show.

Waiting until the show is over would probably be too late.

Sometimes petitions work, sometimes they don't, so to conclude that we are powerless is illogical.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

While I could see the show's audience snowballing if it ends on a satisfying note and has great word of mouth after all is said and done, I don't anticipate much of an up-tick during the run of the series (although the praise/confusion/astonishment surrounding Part 8 might attract some curious newbies for Part 9). This is not a mainstream show. This is AGGRESSIVELY not a mainstream show. "Outsider" series like Mad Men and Breaking Bad spent years trying to make any kind of ratings dent, and even those shows offered more to appease casual audiences than TP:TR has (the fashions, glamour and soapy affairs on MM, BB's explosive action setpieces and '70s cinema-style badassery). TP:TR is designed to appeal to the same core group who love DKL's films, and I'm thrilled with that. Mainstream audiences, even many who seek out "prestige drama" on TV, will be rolling their eyes or falling asleep throughout the drawn-out arthouse "atomic bomb" sequence, or the protracted adventures of Dougie Jones. And understandably so. It's not meant for everyone; it's drastically opposed to the way storytelling and entertainment in television are supposed to work. I couldn't be happier about that; but it's unrealistic to expect the public to jump on board and turn this into a hit.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:We don't really have any control here on the ratings, so the only way we can show our support to Showtime is to communicate via forms like petitions. That will at least show them that The Return still has the support of a dedicated audience.

And no, I don't think it's too early to sign a petition. It's never too early to express support for the show.
For what reason? They're not going to cancel the show. It either has an audience or it doesn't. As far as another season, I'm not even thinking of that. Lynch will either want to do it or he won't, and Showtime will either give him complete control or they won't (if the latter, that means Lynch won't do it).
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

One reason to show as much support as possible for the show is to potentially open possibilities that more networks will take a chance on a riskier project like this in the future, where they give complete creative freedom to a particular artist. If Twin Peaks is not successful for Showtime it will be used as justification by networks never to take another risk like this again. Those of us who appreciate free creative expression in this medium and artists willing to break the form need to make sure our voices are louder than the segment of the fanbase that would have preferred a JJ Abrams piece of derivative nostalgic fan fiction over something created by Mark Frost and David Lynch.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Rudagger wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:We are currently at viewership ratings panic and denial phase of the thread, time until phase is over: no ETA
It's just making conversation, and some people find these metrics interesting. Nobody's panicking, it seems everyone is pretty rationally discussing how the viewing figures look, and whether it's positive or negative for more Lynch or not. Nothing wrong with that, you don't have to comment if you aren't interested. But, at this point it's about all that's left to talk about in a non-spoiler thread about the show. If you'd like I'll make a separate thread for people to talk about it so that you don't even have to look at the numbers.
I'm sorry being facetious isn't allowed, praise-be anybody who hops in to be silly. :|
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

I'm really not ready for this to be over. I want more but at the same time I don't. I am just so thankful that Mark and David decided to return. I guess if we get another season we'll be lucky. I'm honestly not expecting it though. :(
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

ryanmj1993 wrote:I guess if we get another season we'll be lucky. I'm honestly not expecting it though.
This.

I believe it'll be over with after the S3 finale. Wrapped in such a way that no one will ever, not even in another 25 years, be able to take it up again and write another season without Lynch or Coop.

Does anyone know if it is legally possible to secure against future "licensed" seasons or anything of that matter? I consider Twin Peaks Lynch's "baby" and don't want another second half of S2 to happen... :)

If it's over, it's gonna be over with for good!
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

ryanmj1993 wrote:I'm really not ready for this to be over. I want more but at the same time I don't. I am just so thankful that Mark and David decided to return. I guess if we get another season we'll be lucky. I'm honestly not expecting it though. :(
I used instinctively, of course without having any concrete stuff to base it on before the episodes had started airing, to belong firmly in the 'let season 3 be the perfect ending'-camp. But now, when we're almost exactly halfway through, I almost start to shift opinion. It doesn't really feel like we're halfway to an ending and I could easily see potential for another season. This has much to do with the pacing that TR has had so far, and that it better should of course keep up in order to be consistent. But yeah I need to see part 18 before I give my final verdict of course.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

dronerstone wrote:
ryanmj1993 wrote:
Does anyone know if it is legally possible to secure against future "licensed" seasons or anything of that matter? !
Hergé, the creator of the Tintin comic books, did that. No new official Tintin stories are allowed to be made.. everything, the TV-series and Spielberg's film, have been based on existing stories. Either that or it's been fanfiction that of course can't be sold commercially.

If it's not legally possible in the US I can think of a creative way of doing it. It ends with another 'see you again in 25 years.' L & F write a script that they lock in a safe and that is to be opened after 25 years. They also name a director in the future that is to direct it. I would like to see someone try to do a remake in the interim while everybody's waiting for a continuation in a hidden L&F-penned script! :D
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

Im perfectly happy if the show bombs, and that means no season4. Dont even think dkl was counting on that. Frankly Im suprised showtime was somehow counting on epic ratings when you hire the director of Inland Empire to do a show for primetime tv? this is exactly what you get then. I myself am loving every episode, but can see this isnt for the masses.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not sure where else to put this. On Disc 3 of the Blu-Ray set, there's an unusual shot of the Double R diner, shot through a window, which seems to show Harry Dean Stanton - or someone who looks like him. I've never seen this shot in the show. Anyone know what it is?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.