Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by djsunyc »

Jerry Horne wrote:John Thorne mentioned something interesting. If Coop 'visited' both Audrey and Annie, could the offspring be Richard and Linda?
or possibly fraternal twins.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

So Briggs was only 47...time travel for sure but wonder how it will actually happen something? I'm guessing those coordinates from Betty...honestly on first viewing I thought Riley said where's bill? And instantly thought of Hastings who we have not heard from since...Also if Riley is Bing who was a musician in the band Trouble wonder if he will have any musician friends? Vedder? Reznor? So far the other Bang Bang performers were not on cast list right? Makes me think they have larger roles or at least speaking cameos
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

djsunyc wrote: or...briggs who also died in a fire.
I think this episode confirmed the headless body was definitely Briggs, so the "died in a fire" thing was some kind of cover story.
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

Part 7 is my daddy and he comforted me like a daddy should on Father's Day.

I felt the humming is lodge spirits directing attention towards the room key. Ben's exact recollection of the room as the place where Cooper was shot contextualizes this. It's also a realistic recollection as Ben would remember that event in particular as being a very dramatic threat to the image of his business. I feel he'd hardly remember Coop otherwise, certainly to the extent of remembering which room he shacked up in. Also I think this hum has been in the series multiple times - in the lodge and in the Palmer's house. If you ask me it's not an attribute to any particular lodge spirit but an energy that omits sound when the elements of the Lodge mixes with reality.

Frank's acknowledgement of the Lodge isn't too surprising given the history of the Bookhouse Boys and the evil within the woods dating back generations. The idea of closing off the grove would seem like a natural response but when thought about there's no way to prove to anyone of the Lodge's existence. And the amount of politics given to that results in futile efforts.

The spirit in South Dakota is definitely a big player. Lynch himself said to look out for him again in an interview regarding the episode with Lillard in jail (can't recall if that was Part 1 or 2). The scene in the police station with him walking in the foreground was lovely. He appeared right when the lady said something of violent importance.. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was definitely on cue.
Last edited by opium on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asquideatingdough
Roadhouse Member

Post by asquideatingdough »

Do you think the whole 'Briggs' body should be around the age of 70 and not late 40s' implies time travel or implies that that's not his body or implies something else?
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

That would be two birds with two stones.
GoodMorningAmerica
Roadhouse Member

Post by GoodMorningAmerica »

So, my husband was not a fan of the first two seasons (too soapy and melodramatic for him), but he has been into the Return - except for the occasional complaint about bad acting.

Tonight he turned to me and said - "You know who's a great actor? David Lynch!" 8)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

ThumbsUp wrote:
micpoc wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:monitor rising up out of the desk was ridiculous
You mean ridiculously amazing, right?
Yeah, I actually loved that. I thought it totally fit with the quirky vibe the TP sheriff's station is known for.
I think I said out loud "Whoa!" or something along those lines, then almost immediately I felt silly for how excited I got in that moment. :lol:

If you read the interview where Lynch talks about the side table he's building, I think you'll find that the monitor emerging from the desk makes a lot of sense. It's also a way to keep the office from having a desktop monitor or laptop sitting around being unaesthetic when it's not needed.
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i'm on team daledry!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

A lot of people seem to be taking Hayward at his word that Cooper was visiting Audrey, who was in a coma, but I took it that that was just what he presumed. I thought that that was just what he thought, but that really Cooper was there retrieving the ring. I could be wrong, but that's where my mind went. As for why Hayward didn't think he was visiting Annie, maybe it was because by that time Annie had already left the hospital. It could have been a few days after Coop emerged from the lodge.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Could Linda be the nurse that took the ring?!?! Now in a wheelchair after facing DoppleCoop?
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

LateReg wrote:A lot of people seem to be taking Hayward at his word that Cooper was visiting Audrey, who was in a coma, but I took it that that was just what he presumed. I thought that that was just what he thought, but that really Cooper was there retrieving the ring. I could be wrong, but that's where my mind went. As for why Hayward didn't think he was visiting Annie, maybe it was because by that time Annie had already left the hospital. It could have been a few days after Coop emerged from the lodge.
I feel like, as a writer, this wouldn't make much sense to do. I think it's a very deliberate set-up, especially considering the expository nature of this Part in general.

Add to this the heavy implication of Coop sexually assaulting Diane. I think it's very clear that Bob and the Doppelganger took advantage of Dale's most precious relationships.
Last edited by opium on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire-blog-with-me
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire-blog-with-me »

Wow, so this was an amazing episode/Part/installment. The pieces are falling into place. So much content packed into one hour, each installment becoming more and more compressed. It was dense in the best sense possible.

Craft/Form:

Mark Frost was incredibly present in this installment, more Frostian than Lynchian compared to what we've seen so far. We see it in the formalism of the episode as well as the content. For now I'll mention the formal craft of the episode.

Plot, momentum, and puzzles dominated Part 7. We made strides in the narrative. Every scene was propulsive, not simply moving us forward but lending an actual sense of velocity or acceleration. So many of the developments of the episode had me verbally cheering or gasping. And there were two moments in particular that had me literally fist-pumping in addition to cheering: mentions of ANNIE, and Cooper taking down Ike the Spike without a break in his stride. These moments are different from the more atmospheric and methodical Lynch (not that he can't utilize velocity similarly--just check out Lost Highway as one example--or fist pumping cheer out loud moments) but this felt closest to Episodes 4-7, or even Episode 12. This adrenaline rush and acceleration are hallmarks of Frost's writing. He's a master at building this. Of course, the faster pacing of the episode made the more leisurely scenes stand out--the extended Roadhouse scene, the opening with Jerry. They become necessary ebb to the flow of the other scenes.

The pace also reminded me of Duwayne Dunham's episodes, which is of course because he is the editor. But his touch is, again, especially felt in this Part. As an editor, his episodes always excelled at pacing. He attacked his episodes with the rhythm of a drummer, knowing when to apply precision and when to play it fast and loose. I feel that here; this episode was percussive, expertly increasing tempo then slowing it down again then speeding up again.

The graceful unveiling of backstory, exposition, etc. was so Frost. Look at it from Storyville, his books, his episodes in the original, or even the plotting we know was his (Coop's backstory).

But of course Lynch is not absent here, but his touches have graciously stepped back more subtly to allow Frost's sensibilities the spotlight. We see Lynch's touches in framing, color, lighting, camera movement, all the craft of the visual side of cinema whereas Frost is more conducting the narrative side of it this time.

Loved how everything is coming together, but to discuss that I have to move on to...

Content:

Even in content, Frost's touch is so visible. "That finger is the spiritual mound", that is much more of Frost's side of the esoteric and occult than Lynch's spiritual interests. Of course, Lynch's touches are still there too. The CHARCOAL MAN in the hallway at Buckhorn's morgue.... that legit scared me to the point of gasping. It reminded me a lot of The Bum/Man Behind Winnie's, but with a more prolonged build up (Frost's contribution to the equation).

Diane is such a fascinating character. Sharp, independent, biting, but still vulnerable, compassionate. I really liked the Fab Four of Gordon, Albert, Diane, and Tammy this episode! I need that talk between Diane and Gordon next week ahhh.

The Diary pages!!! Annie!! Fire Walk with Me/The Missing Pieces references! Amazing. More mentions of Harry, and Doc Hayward! So great. Frank continues to reveal more characterization: such a big brother, choosing to protect his younger/baby brother by withholding that urgent information (cause Harry is tired). I thought that was very touching but also of course probably that a frank should have told him anyway.

I think/have a strong feeling that next week is gonna be a momentous episode. I think Lynch and Frost will ride the accelerating momentum and finish with a bang before the one-week hiatus for the holiday weekend.

All in all, this episode was fantastic. Melding sensibilities of both Lynch and Frost together so well that this episode felt the most like Season 1 + Pilot in terms of holistic craft and theme, not necessarily in style or tone.

I'll have to post again with regards to thematic and symbolic parts of the episode because it will take at least one more viewing to let that all sink in and reveal itself like a big fish as Lynch would say.
JohnGSmoke
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 7 - There's a body all right (SPOILERS)

Post by JohnGSmoke »

Robot Butler wrote:Most Twin Peaksish episode of the series so far. Should win over a lot of the people on the fence.
It won me over ImageImageImageImage. I was about to give up after episode 6, thank God I didn't.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk