Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell (Spoilers)

Post by ThumbsUp »

I mean, Twin Peaks is filled with objectification of women. Jade sits there naked (why not Dougie too?), Darya has to be in her underwear before she gets brutally murdered, and Tammy swings her hips as the shot holds with Albert feeling compelled to comment (the audience would've seen Tammy's beauty regardless of the scene, why draw attention for no reason?).

As for Chrysta Bell, I liked her performance more on a re-watch, which has been the case for many Peaks actors for me over the years.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Yeah, she got back some positive mojo from me in Episode 5.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

I don't have anything against Chrysta Bell or her acting, but I do have a problem with the writing and direction of the character (at least from what has been shown so far). I'm really enjoying the new Twin Peaks but there are aspects of it which I wish had been left back in 1990.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Gabriel wrote:She's all right; her acting is no worse than Chris Isaak's was in FWWM.
And in fact I tend to like both of them. She didn't appear in Part 6 and I wish she had. The brief scene in Part 5 was a very good one. By the way, what did she find? That the fingerprints are not the same but a mirror reflection?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

BOB1 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:She's all right; her acting is no worse than Chris Isaak's was in FWWM.
And in fact I tend to like both of them. She didn't appear in Part 6 and I wish she had. The brief scene in Part 5 was a very good one. By the way, what did she find? That the fingerprints are not the same but a mirror reflection?
Yup, that's what it looks like.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

It may be only the left ring finger print that is a mirror reflection.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

It seems entirely hypocritical when in some Twin Peaks fan communities, all they ever talk about (especially leading up to the new series) is how attractive they think the females on the first two series are. Like there's nothing wrong with that of course but to complain about Tamara, seems like a joke. I've re-watched the current 6 episodes so far and she just doesn't seem like a "sex symbol" like people are claiming her to immorally be.

She dresses like a woman, walks like a woman, so what? Is there something I'm just being incredibly ignorant to? :lol:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

It's her terrible acting that offsets her hotness. ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

MissJackpots wrote:I was excited years back when it was announced that Lynch would be collaborating with a new female singer. The results were a bit underwhelming however what I couldn't get over was the overall forced "sensual" vibe exhibited on her website. For every song she had released there were 50 photos of herself plastered on the site. Sure, she's a beautiful girl but come on. It's as if she is doing photo shoots more often than she is in the recording studio.

The thing that really turned me off was seeing her perform live. The whole "I'm too sexy" vibe was TOO MUCH. Whether it was her need to talk in that exaggerated slow "sensual" voice or her choice of parading on stage modeling her latest lingerie, it was not working for me. Perhaps being a woman, I was a bit embarrassed for her. Perhaps it was my distaste for seeing all of the primarily male audience leering at her.

Having an open mind and knowing she would be in the series, I decided to give her a chance. Would she bring this over the top persona to the role?

WOW

It was worse that I had expected. No acting skills whatsoever. She was the same over the top, "Look at me world" kind of crazy that I'd seen in Interviews and live performances. So sad. Why? What is going on with her?

Am I alone in my dislike for her performances?
Nope. Her acting is quite bad. She is basically playing herself. Compare how she delivers her lines to this video here. Same person.

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I'd say she is acting in the video too.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

I really disliked her in parts 3 and 4, but last night's episode changed my mind. Her "sexy" walk and persona were played comically very well and of course the now iconic "Fuck you, Tammy" moment was great.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I guess one of the things new actors learn is that they've always been acting; that all their roles in life are essentially learned practices. You can only realise these things through feedback though, from an external point of view. This Vulture interview reads like Chrysta Bell is awakening to that.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Never understood all the Tammy hate. I'm a fan.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Have they given Tamara anything interesting to do in the show?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM