Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Re: Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell - Acting (Spoilers)

Post by MoondogJR »

Agreed. ^^^
I actually also didn't like her performance first, but after a rewatch I think she's fine.
Never thought is was horrible though...
"Your log and I are on the same page."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell - Acting (Spoilers)

Post by baxter »

I find her performance totally fine. I also find the running joke of "dirty old man" Gordon Cole trying to get his leg over much younger agents to be one of the funnier things in the new show, and perfectly consistent with the old show (e.g. the scene at the RR with Shelly). His hand gesture in the car (and subsequent rebuff) to try and get Preston in the back made me laugh out loud. However, I watch comedy from the 1970s without irony that would make twitter explode, so I'm normalised differently with respect to some others here I suspect.

Lynch has put in a scene where Cole is challenged on this behaviour, which might have been intended to introduce some balance. I read it instead as his pine against political correctness however (particularly given his past interviews)! I guess we'll never know what he intended. Something tells me this will build to Cole getting his comeuppance somehow.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Re: Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell (Spoilers)

Post by mtsi »

Lynch's performance has been fantastic so far. The end of episode 4? Powerful and intimate. Hoping for much more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I agree. In the first series (and FWWM) he was mostly there for comic relief, but now he needs to do much more.

His little gesture when Denise mentioned hormones was brilliant.
RR Diner Member

Re: Tamara Preston - Chrysta Bell - Horrible Acting (Spoilers)

Post by 4815162342 »

AgentEcho wrote:I agree that people shouldn't be hard on Chrysta Bell. I do not like the character so far at all, but everything about the character, the way she walks, talks, the fact that Chrysta Bell plays her in the first place, is all there because David Lynch wanted it that way. Given how the character came off in the book, there's no question in my mind David Lynch is the one primarily responsible for how the character appears in the story.

Directors rarely get any flack for bad performances by actors, but they should. The take we see in the finished product was selected by the director. I'm a big David Lynch fan but I won't deflect the blame from him if Tammy Preston fails as a character. She appears as he wanted her to appear.
yes.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

If it's any consolation, Tammy Preston is probably going to vanish sometime soon! Based on TSHOTP, she is sent to investigate in Twin Peaks alone. She's headed the way of Phillip Jeffries, Chet Desmond and Dale Cooper.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Doubt it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I think she's fine enough. I just hope she's given something to do to flesh her out.

I do know what people mean about how in interviews she sort of .. feels like she's giving a performance. Very airy. I don't know her, I don't know if it's genuine or how she acts when in front of cameras, but, it is what it is, and I hold no judgement either way. Crispin Glover can go on Letterman and act like a psychopath, Harrison Ford can grumble through interviews, if she wants to create a mystique, why not?

I only read TSHOTP, didn't listen to the audiobook. But, I think the liner notes gave me a bit of a more wide-eyed detective vibe than Chrysta Bell's more calculated-professional vibe (though, I think Frost, in an attempt to make the liner notes funner to read, perhaps overdid it with how casual the notes felt, including personal feelings, when it probably should've been stoic and professional, like I'd expect Chrysta Bell's reading of the character to write). I frankly pictured Amy Shiels in the role (not even sure why or how). Ultimately, that's the one problem about preconceived notions. I sort of wish that Frost could've gotten the actors to play their corresponding characters if just so a) I would've bothered listening to it, and b) we wouldn't end up with weird expectations or assumptions about the characters. Knowing that Chrysta Bell would be playing her before the show aired would've given people time to read the book with her voice in mind. Hopefully for the Final Dossier, since the show will have ended by it's release, they can actually go full-hog on the production and have all the actors read their respective parts (save for those who have died and have to be recast), I mean, if World War Z can get a massive star studded cast, you'd think some of these actors would take a few days to record a novel for the co-creator of the series (and like, really, why couldn't or wouldn't Lynch just read the one text document .. but, I digress).
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

I don't understand what everyone's saying here, it's like I'm watching a completely different show :shock:

Audrey was more of a sexual idol than anything I've seen in Tamara Preston, who is just one of the many pieces in the huge TP puzzle. What am I missing, she hasn't even gotten naked or tried to seduce anyone yet right? :?
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
kkillevippen

Post by kkillevippen »

Chrysta Bell is that airy and hyper-sensual in everything she does on stage. It's not bad acting, it's just her playing herself, so to speak - something I feel was the precise reason Lynch gave her the role.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

You know who else has a constant schticky persona both when acting and in interviews is that David Lynch guy

I'm reserving judgement for the moment - I agree Gabriel's comparison to Chris Isaak is a good one. A lot of the performances I initially disliked in the original series I ended up coming around to (I liked isaak from the start though). Obviously lynch likes to use non-actors and gets performances that hover on the edge of parody sometimes, I'm still holding out for the magic scene that will make me love Tammy. I'm also a little put off by the objectification but we'll see where that goes.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Thatfabulousalien wrote: Audrey was more of a sexual idol than anything I've seen in Tamara Preston, who is just one of the many pieces in the huge TP puzzle. What am I missing, she hasn't even gotten naked or tried to seduce anyone yet right? :?
Very good point.

It kinda proves what I earlier wondered that people have something against certain type of sexiness on screen if the person doesn't act well to their taste and if the actress is good then it's ok to be sexy too. Which is very odd to me.

I like the character.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

After last evening's brief segment, I have set myself to reserve judgment until it's all over. My bad.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, I liked her last scene very much. Hopefully she will only getting better from now on.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
thefifthlizard
Roadhouse Member

Post by thefifthlizard »

Tamara definitely came across better in EP5