POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your feelings after having seen the first four parts?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Like or Love
85%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
12%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
2%
Dislike or Hate
1%

Total votes: 313
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by counterpaul »

Adolphus wrote:Has anyone else mentioned the possibility of Lynch/ Frost cutting out the musical credits ( musical act + credits ) when (or if ) Season 3 is released as one " 18 hour movie "? I'd love to see that- hope they do it.
Interesting note: Last night, when Parts 3+4 aired together on Showtime, I totally expected the performance from the end of Part 3 to be cut out (so that it would go right from Albert's valium line back to Coop in Vegas), but that isn't what happened. Instead, it cut to the Roadhouse and the performance played out, with no credits running, until the song just about ended, at which point it cut to Vegas with the last notes of the song trailing over the cut.

This surprised me, because the endings of each Part and the placements of the performances are fairly arbitrary, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the eventual blu-ray is handled similarly.

I very much like the idea of this being cut into a giant, seamless 18 hour movie with only a single opening credits sequence and a single (giant) closing credits sequence. The performances (other than the first one with Shelly and James, of course!) can be bonus features or something. They work very nicely as bookmarks (someone else here used that analogy and I like it a lot), and I think the idea of returning to regular life being lived at the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks as each part comes to a stop for the week is a beautiful, thematically resonant idea--a weekly reminder of the end-goal--but I don't know how well it works for a giant movie to stop, roughly, once every 50-60 minutes for a musical interlude.

Then again, maybe it's a great idea! It's a very Lynchian thing to take something imposed (your 18 hour movie will have to have breaks every hour or so) and turn it into something that gets woven into the rhythmic pattern of the larger piece. I guess I've talked myself onto the fence!
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

counterpaul wrote:
Adolphus wrote:Has anyone else mentioned the possibility of Lynch/ Frost cutting out the musical credits ( musical act + credits ) when (or if ) Season 3 is released as one " 18 hour movie "? I'd love to see that- hope they do it.

This surprised me, because the endings of each Part and the placements of the performances are fairly arbitrary, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the eventual blu-ray is handled similarly.

I very much like the idea of this being cut into a giant, seamless 18 hour movie with only a single opening credits sequence and a single (giant) closing credits sequence. The performances (other than the first one with Shelly and James, of course!) can be bonus features or something. They work very nicely as bookmarks (someone else here used that analogy and I like it a lot), and I think the idea of returning to regular life being lived at the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks as each part comes to a stop for the week is a beautiful, thematically resonant idea--a weekly reminder of the end-goal--but I don't know how well it works for a giant movie to stop, roughly, once every 50-60 minutes for a musical interlude.

Then again, maybe it's a great idea! It's a very Lynchian thing to take something imposed (your 18 hour movie will have to have breaks every hour or so) and turn it into something that gets woven into the rhythmic pattern of the larger piece. I guess I've talked myself onto the fence!
it''l be interesting to see if it's eventually released as a giant movie or as individual episodes.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Adolphus wrote: it''l be interesting to see if it's eventually released as a giant movie or as individual episodes.
I already imagine a DVD/BluRay release still having "parts" instead of one long movie actually.

and 18 hrs, wouldn't that make like 6 or 7 discs then...? wow. I'll place that preorder ASAP.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

dronerstone wrote:
Adolphus wrote: it''l be interesting to see if it's eventually released as a giant movie or as individual episodes.
I already imagine a DVD/BluRay release still having "parts" instead of one long movie actually.

and 18 hrs, wouldn't that make like 6 or 7 discs then...? wow. I'll place that preorder ASAP.
I'd imagine the DVD/ Blu-Ray would have chapter headings for each episode- maybe they'll have it both ways, watch each disc WITH credits after each episode or WITHOUT. What I'd like to see is Twin Peaks 2017 uninterrupted ( except for the physical limitations of the discs )- this baby need s to be seen SANS credits and musical end titles after every hour.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

For some reason I actually prefer the credits.
Jarrett

Post by Jarrett »

For all the complaining, CGI whining (since when has Lynch used realistic effects?) and hate toward the new series that goes on on this board, this poll represents a solid 90 per cent approval for the new show.
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

It's absolutely EPIC. Why isn't that a voting choice? :D

Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I absolutely love it but I can see why others don't like it thus far. I'm looking forward to part 5 next week.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

This is a public service announcement. In just under 23 hours from this post, the voting portion of this thread will automatically lock. If you haven't voted, or if you want to revise your vote up or down, this window represents your last chance before the results become an historical document of the forum's original reaction to the first four parts.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Nice! A record of initial superfan reaction is valuable - we should do another once part 18 has aired as a point of comparison.
Talalay

Post by Talalay »

I am liking very much... though I can't help but sense the series will end on a wholly unresolved note.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

counterpaul wrote:Interesting note: Last night, when Parts 3+4 aired together on Showtime, I totally expected the performance from the end of Part 3 to be cut out (so that it would go right from Albert's valium line back to Coop in Vegas), but that isn't what happened. Instead, it cut to the Roadhouse and the performance played out, with no credits running, until the song just about ended, at which point it cut to Vegas with the last notes of the song trailing over the cut.
Ack, that sounds jarring. Having only seen the online versions, I'm going off the descriptions of the "supersized" TV edits that people have given on this board. I like the musical numbers on the credits, but it's silly to abruptly cut to a band in the middle of an episode for three minutes. Whatever they do on the home video release, I sure hope it's not that.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Both Lynch /Frost & Kyle all have stated there will be more if fan reaction indicates a desire for more.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
steadybox

Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4

Post by steadybox »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:Image
This ('Here I Am, Me as a House') reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMDgvxbsvPw
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

steadybox wrote:
Trudy Chelgren wrote:Image
This ('Here I Am, Me as a House') reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMDgvxbsvPw
Get Out Of My House and stop messing up my listening of Kate Bush's The Dreaming. Seriously tho great drop. Never expect anyone else to be into Kate's splendiferous stuff. Especially The Dreaming. Arguably the most overlooked Masterpiece of all time and a recording that has been on loop in my head since I bought it in 1983 I believe. Kate and David come from the same World/Dream-World. You made my day with such a delightfully intelligent link.
Jason