LAURA clicking fingers - meaning?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

LAURA clicking fingers - meaning?

Post by StrangerDanger »

When LAURA clicks her fingers in the Black Lodge, before saying she'll see Cooper again in 25 years, what does the clicking fingers mean?

https://youtu.be/BL57-9171pk?t=30

At least we now know what the "Meanwhile ... urn / wine bottle" symbol means now!
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Re: LAURA clicking fingers - meaning?

Post by StrangerDanger »

I Googled this:

http://www.twinpeaksgazette.com/communi ... 8.cfm.html

"2) Extended fingers: Seen in the final episode of Twin Peaks. The MFAP introduces some of Cooper's "friends" in the waiting room, the first of which is Laura, who sits down, winks at Agent Cooper, and then stretches her index and middle finger with a snapping sound. A similar sign appears in Fire Walk with Me, when Laura gestures one of her two "lovers" in the Pink Room to go down on her. Therefore, the sign may have sexual connotations. But note how the fingers are slightly crossed in the Red Room. Therefore it may also signify a generic expression of "good luck" to Agent Cooper, a note of encouragement for his Black Lodge test."

Yeah l remember she made that symbol in real life in the Roadhouse as the article said ^^^ (also note the superb kitten images)
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I was actually disappointed they edited that scene down. We didn't get to see her fingers pointed down after snapping. It cut to Dale as soon as she snapped.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Maybe, as somebody said in the Series 3 spoiler threads, there are different dimensions, with a central escalator shaft, whereby Lodge spirits can go up and down between dimensions, whilst essentially staying in the same place (reminds me of the role of Spice in Dune).

It has a sexual connotation (in FWWM) where Laura tells a guy to go down by making that hand gesture, but also, l read somewhere that in the Vedic system, spiritual secrets are obscured with sexual phrases, hence "intercourse between two worlds, going up, and down".

Still, l can't think why the fingers would in one situation be parallel (overt sexual symbol in FWWM), and another, crossed (See you in 25 years dream).
leeeET's ROCK!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Given the electricity business through FWWM, it could also be be like a switch being turned off and on.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Gabriel wrote:Given the electricity business through FWWM, it could also be be like a switch being turned off and on.
Nice work. Fingers uncrossed, signalling to her lover = "i'm not turned on .... yet"
Fingers crossed = "switch is on, electricity (aka the energy of evil) is flowing"
leeeET's ROCK!