the Missing Pieces

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces - analysis/thoughts etc

Post by Agent Earle »

claaa7 wrote:
the only one i think reasonably could pass is Phoebe Augustine as Donna...
You mean Moira Kelly?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Agent Earle wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
You mean Moira Kelly?
thank you, my mind wanders.. but actually Phoebe as Ronette i could buy as well
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

claaa7 wrote:thank you, my mind wanders.. but actually Phoebe as Ronette i could buy as well
Yes, it's a bit jarring when the characters return to school in the days after Leland's death. They all look way too old to be high school kids!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

claaa7 wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
You mean Moira Kelly?
thank you, my mind wanders.. but actually Phoebe as Ronette i could buy as well
Funny thing is...Moira Kelly was actually 2 years older than LFB! (She was 18 in the pilot which is also kinda funny given MacLachlan's later objections to the Coop/Audrey romance... :roll: )
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: the Missing Pieces

Driftwood wrote:Man I really wish any of the earlier scripts of fire walk with me would have showed up out there somewhere by now. I've wanted to get a look at those almost as badly as I did the missing pieces.
John Thorne posted a page from one version on Twitter if I'm not mistaken! The infamous Coop-hops-in-bed-with-Laura scene. Would *love* to read that whole script. I wonder to what extent it's surprisingly similar, and to what extent it's a complete trip... I think if nothing else it would be really illuminating as to Lynch's mindset going into the project.
Fire-blog-with-me
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire-blog-with-me »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Driftwood wrote:Man I really wish any of the earlier scripts of fire walk with me would have showed up out there somewhere by now. I've wanted to get a look at those almost as badly as I did the missing pieces.
John Thorne posted a page from one version on Twitter if I'm not mistaken! The infamous Coop-hops-in-bed-with-Laura scene. Would *love* to read that whole script. I wonder to what extent it's surprisingly similar, and to what extent it's a complete trip... I think if nothing else it would be really illuminating as to Lynch's mindset going into the project.
Do you have a link to that scene/script excerpt?

Also this is the first time I've ever heard of that scene, can you contextualize? By that I mean, where did people hear about it, if there's no more link to the excerpt could you share what happens in it? In fact, now I wanna read all the potential early drafts too. :lol:

EDIT: Never mind Joel, I found it. But wow, there was a Coop Laura romance going on there in the cards ... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I choose to read the Coop/Laura dynamic as a strong, profound platonic love. Soulmates, quite literally in fact for the last 25 years and perhaps even throughout their lives too.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

It will be interesting to see how Cooper/Laura plays out tonight and going forward...
ryanmj1993
Roadhouse Member

Post by ryanmj1993 »

There's a rumor that Criterion is releasing Fire Walk With Me. Seems pointless unless they're gonna do the extended cut.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

ryanmj1993 wrote:There's a rumor that Criterion is releasing Fire Walk With Me. Seems pointless unless they're gonna do the extended cut.
Not necessarily. It would highlight the film as a Lynch movie like Lost Highway or Mulholland Dr, which is how a lot of critics and cinephiles celebrate it. This would also bring the film into the libraries of many who don't want to spend the extra money to own The Entire Mystery (especially if they already owned the Gold Box). I imagine there would be some new special features too.

It's hard for me to imagine Lynch approving a recut of any of his films since he won't even do that with Dune (the only one whose final form he didn't really like). He seems to stubbornly stick to what exists once it's out there; another good example being that he's now on record saying the second season of Twin Peaks sucked but it's not as if he tries to exclude it from TP collections, and he still spent the time remastering them (afaik he was there for the whole series) and recording Log Lady intros for them back in 1993. Strikes me more as a "work with what you've got" guy. Additionally, a lot of those scenes just don't work as a part of FWWM. They feel more like extracts from the show than the movie, even though they were shot for the latter.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Not necessarily. It would highlight the film as a Lynch movie like Lost Highway or Mulholland Dr, which is how a lot of critics and cinephiles celebrate it. This would also bring the film into the libraries of many who don't want to spend the extra money to own The Entire Mystery (especially if they already owned the Gold Box). I imagine there would be some new special features too.

It's hard for me to imagine Lynch approving a recut of any of his films since he won't even do that with Dune (the only one whose final form he didn't really like). He seems to stubbornly stick to what exists once it's out there; another good example being that he's now on record saying the second season of Twin Peaks sucked but it's not as if he tries to exclude it from TP collections, and he still spent the time remastering them (afaik he was there for the whole series) and recording Log Lady intros for them back in 1993. Strikes me more as a "work with what you've got" guy. Additionally, a lot of those scenes just don't work as a part of FWWM. They feel more like extracts from the show than the movie, even though they were shot for the latter.
A Criterion remaster of the film and Missing Pieces would be great; there won't be any sync issues on that one! Hopefully it would be released in the UK too.

I agree about many of the Missing Pieces; they're fun, but inessential. The movie, right now is a sharp arrow straight through the heart.

On interesting thing; given the meandering nature of season three, FWWM with the Missing Pieces included would be a lot more like season three.

I didn't realise Lynch shot the Log Lady intros. If I'd have known that, I'd have bothered to watch them! :oops:
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

I'd love to see FWWM + Missing Pieces in one lot, even integrated into a rehashed unified film. Just don't make it Blu Ray only!

As for the Log Lady intros, l don't get why the dislike. I only watched each intro once or twice (in some cases, about 7 times), but l got the impression they were the alpha and omega of each episode, they were gold dust, and l aint surprised they were Lynch's idea - their contents were deep and mystical.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

StrangerDanger wrote:As for the Log Lady intros, l don't get why the dislike. I only watched each intro once or twice (in some cases, about 7 times), but l got the impression they were the alpha and omega of each episode, they were gold dust, and l aint surprised they were Lynch's idea - their contents were deep and mystical.
Quite simply, I thought UK Bravo had hired in Catherine Coulson to shoot the intros themselves and that they'd merely become an 'interest' item. I never watched the UK Bravo run because the quality of tapes used to broadcast the episodes was clearly shoddy (looked like couple-of-generations-down Beta-SP) and I had the whole lot on Betamax. I'll take a look at them when I get the chance. I'm intrigued to see whether someone else becomes an anointed 'Log Lady' in season three to carry on passing the log's messages. Wouldn't be funny if Shelly or Norma start to hear the log speak to them?
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Gabriel wrote:Quite simply, I thought UK Bravo had hired in Catherine Coulson to shoot the intros themselves and that they'd merely become an 'interest' item. I never watched the UK Bravo run because the quality of tapes used to broadcast the episodes was clearly shoddy (looked like couple-of-generations-down Beta-SP) and I had the whole lot on Betamax. I'll take a look at them when I get the chance. I'm intrigued to see whether someone else becomes an anointed 'Log Lady' in season three to carry on passing the log's messages. Wouldn't be funny if Shelly or Norma start to hear the log speak to them?
I suspect the Log Lady intros will be no more, in Season 3 (for spoiler-related reasons). I didn't know that about UK Bravo.
I hope you like the Log Lady intros, feel free to discuss (l can't really remember them, except one line: "What size is a demon?").
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Has anyone re-assessed the missing pieces scenes (particularly the flash forwards) in light both Secret History and the new season? A few things that have been discussed here (the ring on the green table) and the missing Annie stuff, have shown up in the new episodes.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

HagbardCeline wrote:Has anyone re-assessed the missing pieces scenes (particularly the flash forwards) in light both Secret History and the new season? A few things that have been discussed here (the ring on the green table) and the missing Annie stuff, have shown up in the new episodes.
Give your thoughts if you want ... l'm not completely sure what you mean.
leeeET's ROCK!