NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jerry Horne »

My theory is that when Lynch & Frost started writing the script, they made a pact to not watch the original series and instead, remember Twin Peaks their own way. All the things they loved and remembered were included. The rest they jettisoned and will explain away in some plot device.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Venus wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Finally got my Showtime Anytime livestream running on the Roku. God is good.

I wouldn't be too fussed about that interview - Lynch is clearly cranky and tired of the press. We all know he has a sort of roundabout relationship with memory, fact and time. I expect he is very proud of certain elements and sections of Season 2 he was heavily involved with, but emotionally associates that year with the troubled part of the show (especially when he's cranky and tired). We also know he's always been fixated on the pilot, but that doesn't mean he doesn't value his other episodes (or FWWM, which we know he loves). I don't take the comment about Season 2 that seriously and I don't think other people should.
Yes plus unless I've seen the actual words come out of his mouth then I take it with a pinch of salt - this is the press after all. I'm not in denial he may have said it but I'm also not in denial that the press don't sometimes fabricate or embellish.
I'm sure he said it. I'm sure it's also more complex than that.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Jerry Horne wrote:My theory is that when Lynch & Frost started writing the script, they made a pact to not watch the original series and instead, remember Twin Peaks their own way. All the things they loved and remembered were included. The rest they jettisoned and will explain away in some plot device.
I'm not convinced neither of them rewatched at all prior or during.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Venus wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Finally got my Showtime Anytime livestream running on the Roku. God is good.

I wouldn't be too fussed about that interview - Lynch is clearly cranky and tired of the press. We all know he has a sort of roundabout relationship with memory, fact and time. I expect he is very proud of certain elements and sections of Season 2 he was heavily involved with, but emotionally associates that year with the troubled part of the show (especially when he's cranky and tired). We also know he's always been fixated on the pilot, but that doesn't mean he doesn't value his other episodes (or FWWM, which we know he loves). I don't take the comment about Season 2 that seriously and I don't think other people should.
Yes plus unless I've seen the actual words come out of his mouth then I take it with a pinch of salt - this is the press after all. I'm not in denial he may have said it but I'm also not in denial that the press don't sometimes fabricate or embellish.
There's no way a major media source would deliberately publish a fabricated quote -- they'd be risking a lawsuit. Plus we've seen the same basic sentiment in several articles at this point.
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

I was in an art gallery today and they were playing Twin Peaks soundtrack music! The person there said they had just been watching seasons 1 and 2. Welcome home to Twin Peaks, folks, after 27 years! (27 years our time, but 25 TP time!) Wow, Bob, wow!...Who would have ever thought this would happen?
Last edited by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob on Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now it's dark....."
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

David Lynch: You could say one puzzle is Season One, another puzzle’s Season Two, another puzzle’s the film. With a continuing story, there’s still much puzzle to put together.
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Ross wrote:I had been clinging to faint hope that Heather Graham might show up. But after hearing Lynch dismiss all of season 2, I doubt they'll be revisiting anything done in that era of the show. Except for the cliffhanger. But then again, know knows. Annie did show up in FWWM. And Lynch did say a while back that her message to Laura WOULD have been important back then. We shall see.

The most surprising thing to me is that he apparently is only proud of the pilot now. I know he's always said "The pilot is the thing", but still...

When he said the pilot is the thing for him I thought he meant the mood, and the way it played out and looked. No distractions etc... Also the pilot had a few funny moments, but it did not try to be funny for the sake of being funny, like they tried later on. I think that is what he means....at least that is my hope :D
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Interview with Art Director Cara Brower:

https://www.format.com/magazine/feature ... ara-brower
Lynch put the cast and crew on a five year ban.
Huh?
NDA.
Yeah, but I had no idea it lasts that long.
I'll see you in the trees
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Venus wrote:

There's no way a major media source would deliberately publish a fabricated quote -- they'd be risking a lawsuit. Plus we've seen the same basic sentiment in several articles at this point.
And you believe that? You should live in the UK with our tabloid national newspapers.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Jerry Horne wrote:My theory is that when Lynch & Frost started writing the script, they made a pact to not watch the original series and instead, remember Twin Peaks their own way. All the things they loved and remembered were included. The rest they jettisoned and will explain away in some plot device.
This could be true, and to be honest I wouldn't be at all opposed to something like this. In the end, if this new season is as good as everyone hopes I believe most of the fans will be happy that Lynch and Frost pulled something like this :)
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

N. Needleman wrote:
I'm not convinced neither of them rewatched at all prior or during.
By the time he was done with TSHOTP, Mark Frost had somehow gained an almost-verbatim knowledge of the Lana subplot at the very least...
I'm imagining Jerry's scenario for a first rough outline maybe, and then a round of fact-checking?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

They did not fabricate a quote. He was in a mood, it's not a big deal.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I was just re-reading John Thorne's book, and found a quote in which Lynch called season 2 "goofy," which according to him is "not good," so clearly he always had a low opinion of season 2. But I tend to think he is really referring to post-Ep. 16 stretch of season 2, rather than the whole of it.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Panapaok »

Ross wrote:I had been clinging to faint hope that Heather Graham might show up. But after hearing Lynch dismiss all of season 2, I doubt they'll be revisiting anything done in that era of the show. Except for the cliffhanger. But then again, know knows. Annie did show up in FWWM. And Lynch did say a while back that her message to Laura WOULD have been important back then. We shall see.
They have brought back Denise Bryson, though.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.