NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Cde. »

Jonah wrote:How important are ratings to an outfit like Showtime? All the buzz the revival is generating on social media has to be good for them, even if the ratings aren't huge.
The question is how many people is it enticing to subscribe and whether that number justifies what they've spent on it.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I don't think ratings matter all that much for Showtime on this one, the anticipation and media response to TP coming back has been great so far and I'd imagine that's what they wanted.

If the first few episodes can deliver on that and is critically well received (and the press continues till the end), I can see Showtime being open to doing more if Lynch/Frost are game. I imagine they would want the season to be shorter, and the turn around to be a bit quicker though! I could see that either helping the possibility for more or heavily hindering it depending on what story Lynch/Frost conjure up. If they did another season it would probably come about in a similar way curb your enthusiasm comes back without warning. Without any plans already set, I don't see another season of TP coming about before 2019 and that's an optimistic estimate.

On the one hand I don't think I could ever tire of new TP (even if it's bad), on the other, I dread going through a wait again!
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Cde. wrote:I really hope the ending is reasonably closed. There's a very real possibility that this performs below Showtime's expectations.
If they leave it open they can do a revisit in 2044.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I still think Showtime isn't concerned about subs over this as much as they are hoping to use it as a strategic move to entice top creators and film makers to their banner and push HBO aside as the leader in premium cable. If the Return pulls in a lot of awards that'll do the trick, and then the subs will come rolling in. Nevins has proven to be a very smart man.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Also we now know (via Nevis in a recent interview) that the per episode budget of "Twin Peaks" is comparable to most other Showtime series. It is hard to imagine that "Twin Peaks" will not draw bigger crowds and/or media attention than f.ex. "Billions".
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Is anyone in LA planning to check out the premiere tomorrow? PM me so I'm not alone out there!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Are they showing it in LA tomorrow? What about spoilers?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Jonah wrote:Are they showing it in LA tomorrow? What about spoilers?
Attendees are embargoed until Sunday. I expect vague twitter reactions, not spoilers, but who knows.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Wow. Ok. Didn't realise that. I remember hearing about Cannes, then learning it was after the first airing. Hopefully nothing too spoilery leaks out, but would like to see reactions to it. Does that mean everyone who attends has to sign an NDA?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I was just referring to checking out the red carpet outside. I have a to go and at least take a couple of pics cause it's once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Though I might go offline after Friday night just in case of spoilers. Does anyone remember when the premiere starts? EW says their live feed starts at 5:15 local time.
Last edited by underthefan on Thu May 18, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"This is not a return to Twin Peaks. It has new stories to tell and new places to go."

http://www.winespectator.com/blogs/show ... MacLachlan
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:"This is not a return to Twin Peaks. It has new stories to tell and new places to go."

I am cool with that. Wherever Lynch and Frost want to take us, I'm game.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Jerry Horne wrote:"This is not a return to Twin Peaks. It has new stories to tell and new places to go."

An interesting statement describing a show titled: "Twin Peaks: The Return."
Welcome...to the third...place.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Hmmm. Getting the feeling more episodes are going to be announced soon. Looks like cast might already be in negotiations or discussions?

Edit - just realised he's probably talking about the new series itself, that it's not all set in TP and it features other characters and locations. At first I read it like he was talking about future seasons.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Some of DKL's responses in print interviews lately have struck me as a tad tired / burned out (although maybe that's just because he hates giving interviews, as the GQ interviewer observed). This series was an unthinkable amount of work for anyone, let alone a man of his age (albeit a remarkably energetic one). I sincerely doubt that he's thinking about doing work on another season at the moment. Not that that rules out the possibility down the line, but I think people who suspect the ball is already rolling are being unrealistic.