The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Tony Franciosa

Re: The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Audiobook)

Post by Tony Franciosa »

underthefan wrote:You know, even on the US side, I have had so many problems with Audible. I couldn't play the book on my Mac (iTunes would not recognize my Audible sign-in credentials), apparently because I am using an old version of iTunes, and I could not upgrade to the new one they require. I also couldn't open it any other way on my computer, including an app, other software, etc. I couldn't transfer it to my iPod either (on which I normally listen to music). Finally, the only way I could do it is by downloading the app to my Android phone, along with the book (both of which take considerable space on my phone) and listening to it that way. They made the whole system so user-unfriendly and difficult that I have no desire to ever use Audible again.
Same. I eventually got it on my iPod, but it took me 3 hours and 2 different computers to make it happen. I really wish they had provided a CD release of this.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Tony Franciosa wrote:
underthefan wrote:You know, even on the US side, I have had so many problems with Audible. I couldn't play the book on my Mac (iTunes would not recognize my Audible sign-in credentials), apparently because I am using an old version of iTunes, and I could not upgrade to the new one they require. I also couldn't open it any other way on my computer, including an app, other software, etc. I couldn't transfer it to my iPod either (on which I normally listen to music). Finally, the only way I could do it is by downloading the app to my Android phone, along with the book (both of which take considerable space on my phone) and listening to it that way. They made the whole system so user-unfriendly and difficult that I have no desire to ever use Audible again.
Same. I eventually got it on my iPod, but it took me 3 hours and 2 different computers to make it happen. I really wish they had provided a CD release of this.
I'm sorry to hear you were dealing with similar issues, but I'm glad at least I have someone I can commiserate with! :) If they ever release a CD, I would happily buy it again. But I doubt they will.
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

Audible is shit. I won't complain too much because they at least recorded the book, but Audible is SHIT.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Bloodflood wrote:Audible is shit. I won't complain too much because they at least recorded the book, but Audible is SHIT.
I second that. I love my Kindle as much as I hate Audible.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Still no news on a worldwide release?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

musicaddict wrote:Still no news on a worldwide release?
None so far. I assume it's a matter of legal rights. I assume Audible only got the rights for a US release, and only for an audiobook, no CD.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Bloodflood wrote:Audible is shit. I won't complain too much because they at least recorded the book, but Audible is SHIT.
Love this.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Anyone who listened care to share a review or some of their feelings yet?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Soolsma wrote:Anyone who listened care to share a review or some of their feelings yet?
I'm about 2 hours in and so far I'm really impressed with Lee's performance. I was never the biggest fan of the diary, but I'm coming to appreciate certain aspects of it through her read. She takes her time with it and elevates a lot of the material -- it lends really well to being spoken aloud.

It's also really hard to get through -- it's sad material in the first place, but a lot of the pauses in the reading speak volumes.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Nice, thank you
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Anyone who listened care to share a review or some of their feelings yet?
I'm about 2 hours in and so far I'm really impressed with Lee's performance. I was never the biggest fan of the diary, but I'm coming to appreciate certain aspects of it through her read. She takes her time with it and elevates a lot of the material -- it lends really well to being spoken aloud.

It's also really hard to get through -- it's sad material in the first place, but a lot of the pauses in the reading speak volumes.
Thank you for the report. I will have to seek it out.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Hopefully it'll get a global release when the series does really well.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

For those who live outside the U.S, a little bird told me that a link to the audiobook is floating around.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Bloodflood wrote:For those who live outside the U.S, a little bird told me that a link to the audiobook is floating around.
Your little bird didn't lie Image
master468
Roadhouse Member

Post by master468 »

Very good Audiobook! Thank you @Sheryl Lee for making this real!

Highly recommended!