When did you first see Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

EZamor

Drawer Pull

Post by EZamor »

the only episode of Twin Peaks that i saw when it originally aired was the "drawer pull" episode. it was on a saturday in february, i believe. and...i thought it was absolutely ridiculous.

however, several days later, i couldn't stop thinking about it, and i wanted to see more. it was haunting me. i couldn't remember what the show was called or anything, except that it was on saturday night.

i tried for several weeks to find another episode playing on TV but was never successful.

i didn't see any more twin peaks until i rented fire walk with me a few years later. never bothered to rent or buy the series because i had trouble finding it in its entirety, etc....

...then when the gold set of twin peaks series came out on dvd i bought it right away. i watched the entire show over the span of maybe 4 days while i was recovering from a surgery. and it wasn't until re-watching the "drawer pull" episode that i realized that Twin Peaks was that mysterious show i had tried to find on TV back in '91.

needles to say, i love it now! but i still thank that "drawer pull" episode is a bit silly, and maybe the worst episode because of the goofy special effects gimmick.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Evenreven wrote:Then I first saw the International Pilot on a strange digibeta copy at the cinematheque in Oslo in 1999.
Lucky you. I hope they'll have another screening of it again in the near future... Unfortunately I was 10 at that time, but began to watch Twin Peaks and Lynch's films, shorts etc five years later. I have just begun re-watching the series for the 6th time now including both versions of the pilot and the feature film.
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

Lord, is this the part where I have to sing Memories? 'Cause I can't do Barbra very well. Seriously, I saw the whole series when it first aired but I forgot massive chunks of it, didn't retain any dialogue. What I remember most is the haunting music and I guess that being a musician, that's a tribute to my musical memory rather than usual aptitude for dialogue or visuals. That wonderful music.
Leland's daughter was murdered and the Norwegians left.
amonitrate
Roadhouse Member

Post by amonitrate »

I have to join the group of 14 year olds... I first saw Twin Peaks when they re-aired the first season before the second season premiere. My parents had heard about it from friends so we sat down to watch as a family... which is a little weird upon reflection. NOt your typical family viewing!

I Think I was a freshman in high school. It blew my mind from the first episode. I had never seen anything like it. I'm not sure I've seen anything like it since.

At the time I was too young to have any perspective on it. I had a huge crush on Agent Cooper. I knew what I was watching was special and different, but didn't know why. Then came the last episode.... and I was never the same again:)
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

I was only 10 when Twin Peaks first aired, and I don't believe that I was even aware of the show. Even if I would have been, I doubt my parents would have allowed me to watch it.

I first watched Twin Peaks when the season 1 DVD set was released. Then I rented tapes at Hollywood Video, but I only watched through episode 16. I didn't see the rest of the second season until the DVD set was released in 2007.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I was about 10 or 11 when the show aired, and a friend of mine got his hands on his parents' copy of the international pilot when it was released on VHS in 1990 or '91 and I have to say, as corny as it may sound, that by the end of the theme song it was pretty much love at first sight. I was completely and totally into it and I just loved everything about it and didn't want it to end. I remember very clearly Sarah Palmer having the vision of BOB at the edge of the bed and it freaked the crap out of me. So much so that it kept me awake all night and I confessed to my Mom that it was because I'd watched "Twin Peaks"; a stupid move as I was promptly forbidden from watching it again until further notice!!

It was cancelled soon after that, I think, but the show stuck in my mind and I remembered Angelo's music, the misty Washington scenery, the dream of the Red Room, etc. And when Bravo was added to our cable system in 1994, I was finally able to see the entire thing. It was just as magical and mesmerizing as I'd remembered, and I was pretty much obsessed from then on, and made it my mission to indoctrinate as many of my friends as possible, some to better effect (my college roommate, who also fell in love with it and is now a big fan) than others (my current roommate, who stopped watching after Maddy's murder, which she found hysterically funny and over-the-top).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Christian1989 wrote:
Evenreven wrote:Then I first saw the International Pilot on a strange digibeta copy at the cinematheque in Oslo in 1999.
Lucky you. I hope they'll have another screening of it again in the near future...
I don't think that's a top priority for them, to be honest. Even decent digibeta doesn't look that good. It's not exactly 35mm. Watching the DVD on a big screen TV is probably better. It's nice to see it in a cinema with other people, though.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

The only thing better than seeing the whole series again via the Gold Box edition would be seeing it in a series of 2 or 3 hour marathons over successive weeks on the big screen. I don't know if there's any grassroots effort out there to accomplish this like the Browncoats do with Firefly/Serenity but that would be a great way to experience the show.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I saw the the first season in a small theatre once. Three hours and 45 minutes one night, and three hours the next. From the old first season set. It was nice to see it with many people although I should have punched the person laughing when Sarah cries (in the pilot).
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Evenreven wrote:I should have punched the person laughing when Sarah cries (in the pilot).
I cannot abide the people who laugh when Sarah cries!!!... and for that matter, the people who laugh when Andy cries (in the pilot)!!! To the guillotine with the lot of them!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

charles wrote:
Evenreven wrote:I should have punched the person laughing when Sarah cries (in the pilot).
I cannot abide the people who laugh when Sarah cries!!!... and for that matter, the people who laugh when Andy cries (in the pilot)!!! To the guillotine with the lot of them!
I agree, re: Sarah, but I always thought that Andy's crying was supposed to be funny? What drove me nuts was my roommate laughing when Maddy was killed. THAT drove me nuts and I haven't shown her an episode since...
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

TheArm wrote:
charles wrote:
I agree, re: Sarah, but I always thought that Andy's crying was supposed to be funny? What drove me nuts was my roommate laughing when Maddy was killed. THAT drove me nuts and I haven't shown her an episode since...
Yeah, I definitely think Andy's crying has a note of humor in it... but LAUGH OUT LOUD funny? --I don't get that from it. To me, it seems just as sad as it is funny.

Laughing when Maddy dies? Man, that's grounds for divorce.
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

Do you think it could have been nervous laughter rather than a callous reaction? People sometimes do that in the face of extreme emotions. I can't imagine someone laughing during Maddy's last moments. It's one of the most horrific things I've ever seen. In fact when I rewatched the whole series a few months back now, my mouth gaped open because I had not remembered how painful it was to watch.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Oh, some of the laughter was definitely the nervous kind when Sarah cried. And I can understand - but not respect (keep it down, please) - that. But some people actually laughed, as in "TAHT!1!11!1! OMG CRAZY WOMAN SI CRYNG HER AYES OUT TAHTS SO FUNY!!1!!!1! OMG WTF LOL" and in my humble opinion as a generally nice guy (and pacifist) they should be beaten with a fucking stick.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Tonya J wrote:Do you think it could have been nervous laughter rather than a callous reaction? People sometimes do that in the face of extreme emotions. I can't imagine someone laughing during Maddy's last moments. It's one of the most horrific things I've ever seen. In fact when I rewatched the whole series a few months back now, my mouth gaped open because I had not remembered how painful it was to watch.
Unfortunately, it was genuine "it's funny!" laughter. I had been showing her the series from the pilot onwards (she was an avid viewer of both Buffy and X-Files, so I thought she had a high level of TP fan potential). I was first concerned when she started laughing during the scene with the One-Armed Man at the end of episode 13, but shrugged it off. But then she started laughing when she saw Julee Cruise in episode 14. And then when Maddy got killed. And then when everyone started crying in the Roadhouse. You would have thought she was watching Fawlty Towers instead of Twin Peaks.

I think she could see I was frustrated as the episode ended and she said something along the lines of "I'm sorry, but it's just so ridiculously over-the-top I can't take it seriously anymore. I mean the singer who is obviously doing a bad lip-sync job and a demon in a denim jacket named Bob of all things and the white horse in the living room? I mean come on...it's supposed to be funny at this point, right?"

In a way, I kinda appreciated what she was saying as I'm guessing that quite a bit of America (not those of us on this board) were probably feeling the same way at this point, and it gave me a good insight into that.