Autobiography of Dale Cooper

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

Autobiography of Dale Cooper

Post by Diane »

I just finished reading this. It was somewhat entertaining. It would have been better if the Teresa Banks portion lined up with what happens in Fire Walk With Me. I guess this was obviously just a case of the book being written before the ideas were solidified.

I believe someone on here had a theory about Agent Desmond and Agent Cooper being the same person, but that hardly seems plausible since Sheriff Cable is present at the autopsy in the book.

Anyone else read this?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It's been well over 10 years since i've read this. I do remember several passages that were laugh-out-loud funny!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
xman
Roadhouse Member

Post by xman »

This is a must have for any Peaker--just thinking about young Dale investigating with his reel tape recorder tied to an extension cord in his house (Aka, the 'tether of life') is hilarious. Great material.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Great book. The inconsistencies are more related to Kyle Maclachlan's unavailability for the film than anything else.

Then again, there's a theory that Chester Desmond is really Dale Cooper!!!
Double Identity

Post by Double Identity »

Jerry Horne wrote:It's been well over 10 years since i've read this. I do remember several passages that were laugh-out-loud funny!
Me too but the sleep deprivation and seeing how long he can go without urinating are absolutely memorably priceless!
Fan since 1990!
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Re: Autobiography of Dale Cooper

Post by coolspringsj »

Diane wrote:I just finished reading this. It was somewhat entertaining. It would have been better if the Teresa Banks portion lined up with what happens in Fire Walk With Me. I guess this was obviously just a case of the book being written before the ideas were solidified.

I believe someone on here had a theory about Agent Desmond and Agent Cooper being the same person, but that hardly seems plausible since Sheriff Cable is present at the autopsy in the book.

Anyone else read this?
There is an incredible 10 page article in WIP 60 theorizing Deer Meadow is a dream sequence, it will make you watch it differently next time you see it and wonder -what if?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

i have this book, too. i remember reading it and finding certain parts quite erotic, lol. back in the day, i thought agent cooper was the schiznitz[sp?].
methinks it's time for a re-read.
done bun; can't be undone
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

human germ wrote:i have this book, too. i remember reading it and finding certain parts quite erotic, lol. back in the day, i thought agent cooper was the schiznitz[sp?].
methinks it's time for a re-read.
Was Cooper's autobiography erotic? I don't remember that (I haven't read it in 12 years or so), but I do remember being completely and utterly shocked by Laura Palmer's secret diary. It was quite an education for a 13-year-old boy...
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

That wrapped in plastic theory is taken completely out of thin air, and doesn't connect with anything on screen. And if you read WIP regularly you could see a series of articles dealing with films, and film makers (Kubrick,Weir) who'd made films that implemented dream realities, so i think it's more a matter of the writer/reviewer implementing his own mind set onto the artist work than any "Chet Desmond is Cooper" scenario.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Given that FWWM is loaded with flashbacks, flashforwards, time travel, a magical realm behind curtains in the middle of the woods, a meeting of magical beings above a convenience store and dream sequences, alternate versions of the Teresa Banks investigation existing concurrently is entirely consistent with everything we've seen so far!!!

The two books add a wonderful extra layer to the TP universe. I'm sorry that there weren't more written.

And, TheArm, Laura's diary was pretty shocking (and educational!) for me too, as a 15-16-year-old. I was practically the same age as the narrator and reckon I was pretty much in love with her by the end of the book. I almost cried when I read that hopeful last page of the diary, only to see it followed by the announcement that Laura was found dead a few days later!

The Cooper diary was funny, sad and horrific in equal measure! I hope one of the Frosts or Lynches writes another Twin Peaks book sometime! Although, The List of Seven features a lot of TP material . . .
siriusmystery

Post by siriusmystery »

Can you tell about the List of 7? About the plot, the characters etc.? Does it have the Black Lodge? Just spoil me.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Spoil yourself. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_List_of_Seven

Also:
M5. What is "The List of Seven"?

"The List of Seven" is Frost's novel, set in Victorian
England. It concerns Arthur Conan Doyle, a physician who
spends his spare time debunking phony mediums. He goes to
one seance where all is not as it appears, and it turns out
to be real. As he is drawn further into this investigation,
he meets up with a mysterious man, Jack Sparks, who is later
the basis for Sherlock Holmes.

TP fans will probably enjoy Frost's usage of Helena
Blavatsky (founder of Theosophy and originator of the idea
of the White Lodge) and the "dweller on the threshold".
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

It is, however, a terrible novel.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

This is also, however, the first time I've heard of this supposed consensus.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Autobiography of Dale Cooper

Post by Jerry Horne »

coolspringsj wrote:
Diane wrote:I just finished reading this. It was somewhat entertaining. It would have been better if the Teresa Banks portion lined up with what happens in Fire Walk With Me. I guess this was obviously just a case of the book being written before the ideas were solidified.

Anyone else read this?
There is an incredible 10 page article in WIP 60 theorizing Deer Meadow is a dream sequence, it will make you watch it differently next time you see it and wonder -what if?
I think it's a great article/theory and no stretch for sure. After all, Lynch has copied this dream/reality logic for most of his films since!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM