Those of you who WON'T watch the series as it goes along... (NO SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Those of you who WON'T watch the series as it goes along... (NO SPOILERS)

Post by Agent Earle »

Are there any of you, besides me? It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I won't be able to do it legally, as I can't subscribe to Showtime and not one TV network in my vicinity has done the deal with them to air the series. So, I'll wait till I can do it legally or maybe even till the show will be out on DVD/BluRay, which means I'll be waiting for some time - it's possible the new Frost's book will be out before I'll be able to watch the series.
But that doesn't bother me, really: I'll be perfectly content just knowing it's out there and I plan on mercilessly and vigorously gorging myself on spoilers in the meantime, with the help of this forum and other Internet sites, journal articles and other media contributions. There are fun times ahead! :)
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: Those of you who WON'T watch the series as it goes along...

Post by dronerstone »

I know this is a public space, but are you saying even though there'll be new episodes of Peaks you're not gonna try and use the internet to find a way to watch them, just because you legally can't?
I suppose there's a lot of people who, although I'm not trying to encourage that to be clear, are gonna download/stream the new season from wherever and then buy the DVDs later on anyway.
It can't be watched in a legal way in some places all across the globe - and while a lot of area is covered to do so, I can't believe that in this day and age there's still digital "borders" despite everyone being online.

That said, what country are you in that won't let you watch them on either Showtime/Sky?

I was happy when I found out I could see them on Sky over here. ;)
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

What a shame. While I appreciate your integrity AgentEarle, I'd say you should still watch it illegally. Ultimately, somewhere along the line, greed almost assuredly has played a role in keeping the show from availability wherever you are. But then there is the issue of image quality. I haven't done hardly any illegal downloading, but the one time I did, the quality was so piss poor that I didn't bother doing it again. I'm a film snob, I require as pristine an image/audio package as I can get.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Where are you based? You sound quite comfortable spoiling yourself before watching the show, I wouldn't - but fair enough. I think there's a possibility you'll be able to buy episodes from Amazon or iTunes or similar in certain markets if what's happened with other shows is anything to go on.
Dead Dog wrote: I haven't done hardly any illegal downloading, but the one time I did, the quality was so piss poor that I didn't bother doing it again. I'm a film snob, I require as pristine an image/audio package as I can get.
Dead dog I can report that pirated material can be very very good - depends on what it is and what the primary source was. With a tv show it will be pretty... pretty good. Fortunately show's on Sky Atlantic over here so I'm sorted!
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Well, I tried getting Rogue One for my sons and nephews to watch on New Year's Eve and it was terrible. You could tell someone just got video at a theater. I was nervous the whole time I did it so maybe didn't spend the right amount of time looking for a good file or whatever.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dead Dog wrote:Well, I tried getting Rogue One for my sons and nephews to watch on New Year's Eve and it was terrible. You could tell someone just got video at a theater.
That's obviously not going to be the case with a pirated TV broadcast, though. (Disclaimer: I'm not condoning piracy and personally never download stuff illegally, although not being able to watch the new TP might push me over the edge. I feel for you, Agent Earle; hopefully someone picks up the rights!)
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:Well, I tried getting Rogue One for my sons and nephews to watch on New Year's Eve and it was terrible. You could tell someone just got video at a theater.
That's obviously not going to be the case with a pirated TV broadcast, though. (Disclaimer: I'm not condoning piracy and personally never download stuff illegally, although not being able to watch the new TP might push me over the edge. I feel for you, Agent Earle; hopefully someone picks up the rights!)
Yeah I didn't think that one through very well, ha ha ha.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Thanks for your sympathies, guys. I'm generally not against shady Internet options to obtain otherwise unobtainable cultural material - I know my experience with and knowledge of the movies and television stuff would be decimated (besides, I'd probably be bankrupt) if I stuck to legal options, it's just that in TP's case I feel I have to make an effort to support the makers since with this revival they're pulling off a miracle rivaling the second coming. In the meantime, I know I won't be able to stay off the Internet when TP airs from May to, what, September?, and since I really revel in contemporary reception and in hearing what fans, especially, have to say about it, I might as well make the most of it while waiting for that nice BluRay package to treat myself, spoilers be damned! Anyhow, I'm sure we can expect snippets of it to spring up on YouTube, so it's not like I won't sneak even the tinniest peek of the new show; I know I'll definitely check out the opening credits sequence the moment it appears anywhere! :)

Btw, I'm from Slovenia, a godforsaken Central European country whose national TV, it should be underlined, had the guts and the brains to purchase the rights to the broadcast of the original series before it was concluded and then aired it in the spring of '91 when it was still hot in the States, so I can almost count myself to be a part of first-generation TP viewers on account of it. This time, though, who knows how long will it take for them to come around and arrange the broadcasting of S3; I'm betting we'll see it sooner rather than later, however, since TP is quite a part of more "literate" viewership's consciousness and there've been a number of articles devoted to its return from the moment it was announced.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

You are one brave fan, honestly. :)
Coop would be proud of you.

Btw, I'm pretty much your next door neighbour (Vienna, AT) and it'll air on Sky here. Really no option to get Sky in Slovenia? :/
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

The first time I heard of Sky was here on Dugpa, to be honest. I'll look into it, maybe I can work something out, but I'm definitely prepared for the worst.

And greetings to Vienna, neighbour! :)
Sey

Post by Sey »

Can you subscribe to Now TV? If there really are no legit options for you then I'd advise obtaining the episodes however you can and then still supporting the show financially when it becomes available on home media in your country. This isn't an event you're going to want to spoil, I genuinely think that would be an insult to the artistry and craft of Lynch & Frost.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I would recommend a VPN service plus a subscription to an overseas streaming service. As far as I remember, this is not obviously illegal (or perhaps simply decriminalised). Stan in Australia would be the obvious choice I reckon.

Even if you just wait for the DVD/Bluray, It's worth remembering that by buying the final product you are supporting the makers regardless of what you do before you buy that product.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Those of you who WON'T watch the series as it goes along...

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote:Are there any of you, besides me? It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I won't be able to do it legally, as I can't subscribe to Showtime and not one TV network in my vicinity has done the deal with them to air the series. So, I'll wait till I can do it legally or maybe even till the show will be out on DVD/BluRay, which means I'll be waiting for some time - it's possible the new Frost's book will be out before I'll be able to watch the series.
But that doesn't bother me, really: I'll be perfectly content just knowing it's out there and I plan on mercilessly and vigorously gorging myself on spoilers in the meantime, with the help of this forum and other Internet sites, journal articles and other media contributions. There are fun times ahead! :)
Wow, best of luck avoiding spoilers
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Dead Dog wrote:Well, I tried getting Rogue One for my sons and nephews to watch on New Year's Eve and it was terrible. You could tell someone just got video at a theater. I was nervous the whole time I did it so maybe didn't spend the right amount of time looking for a good file or whatever.
you can only get a quality release of something is there's a source for it. like if it's already out on bluray or a streaming service like amazon or netflix. otherwise if it's still in theaters then yeah it's just going to be some copy some guy recorded.

just grab the thing off the internet however you have to guys. it's a tv show, a swat team isn't going to kick in your door. worse case scenario you get a warning from your isp that nothing is going to come from. and you know you're going to buy the bluray box set and every tie in novel anyway. I don't know I guess I've always been too poor to be affected in anyway by guilt over piracy of media, either that or watching my dad make copies of floppy discs when I was a kid was the digital equivalent of tony soprano walking in on his dad chopping a dudes finger off.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Are there any of you, besides me? It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I won't be able to do it legally, as I can't subscribe to Showtime and not one TV network in my vicinity has done the deal with them to air the series. So, I'll wait till I can do it legally or maybe even till the show will be out on DVD/BluRay, which means I'll be waiting for some time - it's possible the new Frost's book will be out before I'll be able to watch the series.
Wow, best of luck avoiding spoilers
I don't intend to avoid the spoilers, far from it! :)