NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mordeen wrote:I'd venture a guess "no," considering the awards and tributes were for 2016, but you can bet when Twin Peaks gets the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series there will be something said for all the TP alumni whom have passed, both recently and further back.
This is an interesting point. Wouldn't TP more likely compete as a limited series, given that it's sounding like a self-contained story with no anticipated future seasons? it's technically a third season, but it's temporally so far removed from the original -- and ongoing series are frequently nominated in the limited series category (for instance, both seasons of 'Fargo,' even though the two seasons shared several characters).

I'm not sure if there's any max time cap on the limited series category (18 hours doesn't seem particularly limited), but I was unable to find any reference to one (the minimum is 150 minutes).
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

So... would anyone like to sign my petition to have Mordeen's avatars get their own gallery? :)

The latest is awesome, in a long and proud history of awesome.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Mordeen wrote:I'd venture a guess "no," considering the awards and tributes were for 2016, but you can bet when Twin Peaks gets the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series there will be something said for all the TP alumni whom have passed, both recently and further back.
This is an interesting point. Wouldn't TP more likely compete as a limited series, given that it's sounding like a self-contained story with no anticipated future seasons? it's technically a third season, but it's temporally so far removed from the original -- and ongoing series are frequently nominated in the limited series category (for instance, both seasons of 'Fargo,' even though the two seasons shared several characters).

I'm not sure if there's any max time cap on the limited series category (18 hours doesn't seem particularly limited), but I was unable to find any reference to one (the minimum is 150 minutes).
I'm sure 18 hours will be considered a limited series. I think limited refers to a self-contained story that is told within a single season. But that's an interesting point regarding the notion of it being a third season...but I still think it will just be considered in the limited series category since it's been so long and this will be its own thing.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

indyit wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Was there any tribute to Miguel ferrer or Warren frost during the Oscars?
Didn't see it but Miguel Ferrer was on the list.

http://www.oscars.org/about/memoriam

Looking at Frost's imdb page it looks like he acted nearly exclusively on TV only. There's a few minor credits for films, but I doubt they would have been enough to justify a mention. His distinguished TV career should prompt a mention at the Emmy's though.
I watched the show and I don't recall either being mentioned. Sometimes they hold them over for the following year, but in the case of David Bowie, who died in January 2016, the Oscars featured him during the 2016 ceremony along with the actors who died in 2015. Bowie was not featured yesterday even though he should have been since he died in 2016.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mordeen wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Was there any tribute to Miguel ferrer or Warren frost during the Oscars?
I'd venture a guess "no," considering the awards and tributes were for 2016, but you can bet when Twin Peaks gets the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series there will be something said for all the TP alumni whom have passed, both recently and further back.

-Mordeen
One can only hope but as Lynch states, you never know what the audience or the critics are going to like from one year to the next.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Are people expecting emmys and other awards for S3? Its hard for me to picture. I know S1 had many nominations, but it was mostly ignored and then the response to FWWM was venomous. I just have no clue how S3 is going to go over with critics, audiences and even fans.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

I think something like some nomination for Kyle MaLachlan as actor and David Lynch as director (on the award ceremonies with that kind of categories) could be expected and probably without a win, but I do not excpect a Stranger Things hype around this season of Twin Peaks. I think it will deserve a lot more than it will get, concerning audience numbers, worldwide buzz and awards but I do not expect much. I do expect weird, negative judgements about the story, tempo and tone from an overall "not hardcore fanbase"-audience though.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I believe bailiff Byrd on judge Judy is wearing the owl/turquoise ring. Fell a victim.
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Ross wrote:Are people expecting emmys and other awards for S3? Its hard for me to picture. I know S1 had many nominations, but it was mostly ignored and then the response to FWWM was venomous. I just have no clue how S3 is going to go over with critics, audiences and even fans.
Had they made this five years ago, when miniseries were still on something of downswing, then it would be a near-lock for awards recognition. In those days, all you really needed to do was exist and have some recognizable names. Today, competition has gotten stiff enough that they'll have to get some legitimate critical acclaim and have some pop culture impact to get noticed.

Having said that, they'll still probably have to really faceplant for Lynch not to get nominated.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I think at least a handful of nods for different categories depending on what the show does and what really works with the larger audience and the industry/critics. If it's great even for the non-fans it's gonna be loved by the industry that still fondly remembers something out of it. That and if it builds any momentum over 18 eps showtime will push for it. If Badalamenti and Lynch hit it out of the park they'll get nods. Same for any actors. 18 consecutive eps are the most they've written, but Emmys look at individual EPS so if the premiere is rock solid that could work. It won't be this year tho for many. It'll be September 2018 :P probably the biggest obstacle it has for noms.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I couldn't care less about any silly awards. That's high school popularity contest BS.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:I think something like some nomination for Kyle MaLachlan as actor and David Lynch as director (on the award ceremonies with that kind of categories) could be expected and probably without a win, but I do not excpect a Stranger Things hype around this season of Twin Peaks. I think it will deserve a lot more than it will get, concerning audience numbers, worldwide buzz and awards but I do not expect much. I do expect weird, negative judgements about the story, tempo and tone from an overall "not hardcore fanbase"-audience though.
Just my feeling but, I think you're underestimating. It's going to be huge.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Dead Dog wrote:I couldn't care less about any silly awards. That's high school popularity contest BS.
I mostly agree, however I want David to win something just to see him give a hilarious speech.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Dead Dog wrote:I couldn't care less about any silly awards. That's high school popularity contest BS.
I mostly agree, however I want David to win something just to see him give a hilarious speech.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »